229111959-D Wheat Reverse Cent

  • fred_weinberg
    Jun 2, 2010
      I don't believe the Secret Service would care
      one iota if the coin were somehow 'proven' to
      be fake in the future.

      To the SS, and the Treasury Dept., it's simply
      a non-precious metal collectable coin, not like
      counterfeit paper money, or a large quantity of
      fake dollars, etc.

      Believe me, if the SS doesn't care about Chinese
      Counterfeits (and they don't, at this point), they
      have absolutely no interest in a copper cent of
      any type.

      They care about '33 Double Eagles, '64 Peace Dollars,
      maybe, maybe '74 Aluminum Cents, and any CURRENT
      problems at the Mints.....they don't care about
      San Francisco in the 60's/'70's, Denver in the '80's,
      and are no longer interested in what came out of
      Philly 10 years ago......

      Fred

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Steve Frank <taxi_steve929@...> wrote:

      > Hi Fred,
      > You may be able to answer this. I can see this coin being sought after simply because it's now famous. Had it been thought genuine, it would have brought a lot more money. My opinion is the buyer is someone who wants a famous coin, one that is well written up, with the possiblity of a famous forger being the person responsible for it. I can see someone with too much money buying it. My question is...What happens if it is someday found to be a forgery?? Is the coin confiscated by the Secret Service?? I'd imagine a scenario of lawyers, judges, and a lot of press.
      >
      >                 Steve

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic