2277Re: Don't know what this error is

    Dec 2, 2002
      I've seen a number of coins like this, and have one in my
      collection. It's not a straight clip. You can see that the planchet
      is deformed next to the straight edge.

      It's also not a "one-die" saddle strike, since the part of the design
      showing on the off-center strike is not what you'd see in a saddle

      This doesn't appear to be caused by contact with another planchet.
      If it's like the other "external chain strikes" that I've seen, the
      straight edge will lack the characteristic contact facet that results
      when the edges of two planchets abut against each other during the

      All I can say is that the coin abutted against some projection or
      machine part as it was struck. When it was struck, this forced the
      unstruck part of the planchet sideways, causing it to collide with
      this projection, creating a flattened contact zone.

      Nobody has identified the nature of this projection/machine part. So
      while it is a real error, we just don't know exactly what it is.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "Ben" <insano@a...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > The first coin is an off-center nickel with straight (clip???) in
      > unstruck area.
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      > ViewItem&category=524&item=804374782&rd=1
      > What is it?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic