22027Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] pvc damage

  • armstrong_aaron
    Oct 1, 2009
      yep, I've read online last night that people who have used tap water will later see spotting--sometimes the spotting won't be seen till a year later. The spotting is from contaminants that were in the tap water.

      I've also read it's important to use 100% pure acetone, as most companies add additives to their acetone--if those additives are present, you will also contaminate the surface of your coin.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, innff@... wrote:

      > I distrust the water supplies of any city, county or state. There are just
      > to many pollutants in their supplies of water that chorine and filtering
      > cannot remove. Give me the straight acetone bath to remove residue.
      >

      > In a message dated 9/30/2009 4:32:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > darkdesert@... writes:
      >

      > Unfortunately, I found some pvc damage on a few of my coins. Even though I
      > had put them into archival plastic sheets (free of pvc), I guess they must
      > of had slight corrosion but either I failed to notice it, or it got worse
      > and is now noticeable. Why would anyone ever use pvc laden flips?
      >
      > Is it better to remove it by a gentle water wash and pat dry, or to just
      > use pure acetone since it is capable of removing pvc contaminates. Can
      > simply running water over the coin remove enough slime and corrosion to
      > effectively stop the overall corrosion? Or do you have to chemically remove it with
      > acetone?
      >
      > If you can see the slime on the clad coin's edge (copper part), does that
      > mean the coin's surface is ruined?
      >
      > Also, if the coin was in a drawer near other coins, about an inch away,
      > can its corrosive gases permeate and contaminate other nearby coins?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic