21703Re: Washington Quarter; Off-Center Strike On Split Planchet?

  • bgsherris
    Aug 2, 2009
      Thanks Mike...so I guess the only thing about this "coin" is that we'll never know is whether the reverse is a brockage or simply a strong ghost image.

      BTW, there are a few spots of what appear to be "pitting" on the coin; should I leave the coin natural for slabbing, or should I try to clean those spots. My guess is that I should leave it alone?

      > A detached clad layer will not show the coarse striations of a split planchet because it is not a split planchet. It is merely a separation of two layers that failed to bond.
      >
      > One face may show faint parallel lines.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "bgsherris" <bgsherris@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Correct; the "coin" weighs 1 gram.
      > >
      > > The strange aspect of this is that the unstruck area of this specimen appears to be appropriately "finished" on both sides, and not split.
      > >
      > > That's the part that remains curious to me.
      > >
      > > B.
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It looks like it might be an off-center strike on a detached clad layer. The incuse mirror image on the reverse face is either a very strong ghost image (the result of a uniface strike) or a mirror brockage. Can you provide a weight for us? A clad layer should weigh around 1 gram.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic