21198Re: what is this?

    Apr 1, 2009
      I'd call it a "generic" capped die strike. The ghost image is not that strong, which raises the possibility that instead of being a late-stage die cap, it is instead the middle stage of a uniface die cap. The curved groove is a strike-thru error. A piece of metallic debris -- perhaps derived from the cap itself -- intruded between the cap and the planchet represented by your coin.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Norm Higgs <norm@...> wrote:

      > Looks like a late stage 'capped die' strike. That happens when a struck
      > coin sticks to the hammer die and strikes more planchets. The first few
      > strikes will show a reverse impression of the coins reverse side, but as
      > the cap is worn flat after many strikes, that image fades and you begin
      > to see a vague image of the obverse side. The semi-circular indentation
      > looks like part of the cap started to break away.
      >
      > A nice find.
      >
      > Norm Higgs
      > http://forbiddenpc.com
      > http://forbiddenpc.blogspot.com
      > http://www.power-blog.com/info/4365
      > http://freetrafficbar.com?r=74276
      >

      > Tom wrote:
      > > I uploaded 2 photos in the default album of a cent and am curious as to what it is.
      > > The reverse is normal, but the obverse is dished and barely shows Lincoln and an imprint of the building.
      > > What is the circular indent?

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic