20896RE: 1999 d Delaware statehood quarter

  • Marc
    Jan 1, 2009
      I think that it's also possible that the quarter you found might have
      been released from a silver proof set into circulation. I have found a
      handful of proof coins that 'escaped' from their proof sets into
      circulation in my time. This would account for the bright luster too.
      Just a possibility.

      Weighing the coin would be a good diagnostic. The silver proof should
      weigh in at 6.25g, and the clad at 5.67g. There is also an
      unmistakable 'ring' (sound) to a silver coin when spun, as opposed to
      the dull sound a clad quarter would make.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic