20697Re:1984 Lincoln Cent

  • portpere
    Nov 2, 2008
      Best that I have come up with is distilled water soaking in a dessert
      cup. I change the water every few hours and get decent results without
      damaging the coin. I think that you can also use a wet toothpick to rub
      a bad spot as long as you do not use a lot of pressure. I guess the
      only thing that will confirm that you have not damaged the coin or it's
      luster is to send it in for grading. If it comes back in a "body bag",
      you went too far. I purchased some Blue Ribbon Professional Coin
      Conditioner and Preservative a while back. I used it on a few coins and
      sent one to PCGS for grading. It came back in a "body bag" noting
      unnatural toning??? So, I no longer use anything but water. I suppose
      NCS would do a professional cleaning job on any coin, but it would have
      to be a real winner to justify the expense.
      I am very wary of purchasing coins when they do not have at least one
      little spot on them somewhere, unless they are already slabbed or
      directly received from the Mint.
      In the end, don't clean unless you absolutely must.
      <mdia1@...> wrote:
      > I haven't used mineral oil, but if you've met with success keep doing
      > what you're doing. Even a soft cotton rag will leave scratches on an
      > uncirculated coin, but I presume dirty and well-circulated go hand-in-
      > hand.
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Hock
      > <dbrhhock@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I may be wrong, and if so, please correct me - but I have always
      > mineral oil to clean dirty coins. May have to soak them a few days,
      > then wipe gently with a soft cotton rag (no paper towels, they can
      > leave scratches).
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic