19802magnifying head wear

  • reich_coins
    Apr 1 4:42 AM
      Thanks for the great information Susan, I'm going to check out those
      recommendations!

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Headley"
      <galaxiana@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for telling me about the strange silver colored coins! If my
      site visitor actually sends anything, I will definitely let everyone
      know what's going on. In fact, I might need everyone's help! ;)

      > As for the headset I wear, I bought it more than 20 years ago from a
      jewelry supply company. It is an industrial-grade professional jeweler's
      headset magnifier with flip-down eye panels for various magnification
      strengths, and a loupe fixture for 10x or higher lenses that I can swing
      up or down as needed. It also has a light on top to illuminate the
      working area. It is the most useful coin-working tool I own and I would
      be lost without it! (At the time I bought it, my primary numismatic
      interest was in restoring ancient coins which had been freshly dug up in
      Europe and the Middle East, so having both hands free was nearly a
      necessity. The headset works equally well, though, for searching through
      rolls, grading bags and boxes of coins, etc.)

      > Although the version I bought has been off the market for years, there
      are some similar types for sale here and there. Here are a couple of
      links:

      > A very low-cost but fairly powerful headset which is perfect for
      coin-searching:
      > http://www.toolking.com/eclipse_900-128.aspx
      >
      > These are also sold on eBay. Search for "eclipse magnifier" or
      "eclipse headset."

      > A more durable (and expensive) line of jeweler's headsets is the
      "Optivisor" line. You can find numerous vendors by searching Google for
      "optivisors." Here's one of the vendors (scroll down top the bottom for
      most of them; an interesting attachable-to-eyeglasses type of higher
      power loupe is at the top):

      > http://www.facetingmachines.com/magnification.shtml
      >
      > I hope this is what you are looking for. =)
      >
      > Susan
      > Susan Headley
      > About.com Guide to Coins
      > www.About.com
      > http://coins.about.com
      > Become an About.com Guide: http://beaguide.about.com
      > About.com is part of the New York Times Company

      CONECA
      > > to either en-list or re-new your membership!)
      > >

      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "jylitalo"
      > > jylitalo@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I will add to Susan's sources and secrets,
      > > >
      > > > click here....
      > > >
      > > > http://conecaonline.org/
      > > >
      > > > This is the CONECA Home page. Scroll about half way down and you
      > will
      > > > entitle yourself, for free, to further current info on this hyped
      > > subject.
      > > >
      > > > Jeff
      > > >
      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Susan
      Headley"

      > he
      > > > has three of these Monroe quarters found in rolls on the East
      Coast,
      > > > but he can't seem to get them weighed for some reason. He is
      sending
      > > > me a coin to examine, so if it turns out to be the real cahuna,
      > you'll
      > > > all be the first to know. =)

      > > > weighing 5.67 grams if he does send it, heh.) But you did ask, and
      > > > this is the closest I have come to seeing one of these wrong
      > planchet
      > > > Monroe errors in my little corner of the Web.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic