17744Re: Unusually strong upset produces distinctive weak strike

    Jul 5, 2007
      I received Travis' Pennsylvania quarter today, and I'm even more
      impressed at its peculiar appearance. The boundary between the die-
      struck periphery and featureless center is even more abrupt than it
      appears in the photos. I would say there's a subtle but detectable
      drop-off at this circular boundary line. The amount of upset that must
      have been originally present on this coin would have been a remarkable
      departure from the norm.

      Now I have to decide whether to crack it out for additional study.
      Travis says full speed ahead. I'll mull it over for a day.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic