17738Re: Unusually strong upset produces distinctive weak strike

    Jul 1, 2007
      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
      <jylitalo@...> wrote:
      > Interestingly, I have some quarters dated in the 1990's that do and
      > not have this fading of the letters. In particular, two 1998 dated
      > off center quarters, one with this fading of peripheral letters and
      > one without.

      The extent of fadeout and letter truncation varies even within the
      same year. Contributing factors would include minimum die clearance
      and, perhaps, extent of off-centeredness. It seems to me that
      fadeout is less pronounced in way off-center strikes, perhaps due to
      the increased effective striking pressure on the smaller area that is
      exposed to the strike.

      > Since the state quarters introduced both a new obverse design, and
      > ever changing reverse design, it would seem the dies underwent some
      > definite changes. For instance, I've not encountered a single
      > off-centered state quarter that shows this fading of the letters
      > the state quarters began, (perhaps there could be a few out
      there). I
      > would think then, that this suggests convexity changes, just as you
      > have said.

      I also haven't seen an off-center state quarter with fadeout.

      > I've encountered state quarters fully struck, but with the
      > letters having no relief (from the mint bag). They appear flat as a
      > pancake.

      That would reflect a slightly weak strike, probably from excessive
      minimum die clearance.

      > I've not seen this on recent state quarters, but New Jersey
      > and Connecticut peripheral letters were very flat, sometimes on the
      > obverse, sometimes to a greater degree on the reverse.

      This effect is often seen on Delaware quarters, too.

      > Often, other
      > tell-tall signs of a wearing die, cracks, chips, double die
      > deterioration, (just to name a few), accompanied these flat
      > letters, but not always in the same location. (These may be good
      > examples of the die surface flattening as they continue to exceed
      > normal service life).

      Signs of die deterioration and brittle fracture are common. I don't
      think they have any connection to the weakly struck peripheral
      letters. Since the die face is almost flat when installed, it would
      probably be impossible to detect further flattening. That's why I'm
      looking at earlier years with marked die convexity.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic