17734Re: Unusually strong upset produces distinctive weak strike

  • Jeff
    Jul 1, 2007
      I've noticed rim design elements absent on a some of the quarters I've
      encountered, (pre-1990), when they have been struck off center to some
      degree. Some of the rim design is either completely gone, or about
      half struck. The more off-center, the more the rim design elements
      seem to have disappeared either on one face, or on rare occasion, both
      faces.

      This gives these period quarters a very interesting look. I'd been
      interpreting them as being struck by mis-aligned dies in some
      instances, rather than die convexity being responsible.

      <mdia1@...> wrote:

      > The Connecticut quarter presents a typical appearance for a weakly
      > struck state quarter. There is evidently still a little bit of die
      > convexity built into the design. You'll see the same general
      > appearance in the Vermont weak strikes posted by our long-absent
      > friend Terry. The amount of upset in the planchet that the CT
      > quarter was struck on appears to have been normal. That's why you've
      > got a weak design rim and even the tops of some of the letters on the
      > reverse. You don't see any design rim in older (pre-1990) quarters
      > that show this amount of weakness, as die convexity was greater back
      > then.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic