17731Re: Unusually strong upset produces distinctive weak strike

    Jul 1, 2007
      The Connecticut quarter presents a typical appearance for a weakly
      struck state quarter. There is evidently still a little bit of die
      convexity built into the design. You'll see the same general
      appearance in the Vermont weak strikes posted by our long-absent
      friend Terry. The amount of upset in the planchet that the CT
      quarter was struck on appears to have been normal. That's why you've
      got a weak design rim and even the tops of some of the letters on the
      reverse. You don't see any design rim in older (pre-1990) quarters
      that show this amount of weakness, as die convexity was greater back
      then.

      I would like to see another Pennsylvania weak strike as profound as
      the one I purchased, to test your hypothesis that die convexity
      continues to change through the state quarter series. Judging from
      the many weak strikes I have seen on eBay, my guess is that die
      convexity has not changed through the series.

      If upset was normal on the PA quarter I bought, then you'd have to
      assume that the die face was completely flat. I can't eliminate that
      hypothesis, but it seems unlikely to me.

      If anybody out there has another PA quarter that's very weakly
      struck, please post a photo.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
      <jylitalo@...> wrote:

      > I wonder then about your weakly struck Connecticut quarter.
      >
      > Does the opposite apply, meaning that there was no proto-rim as
      > opposed to the high proto rim on the PA Quarter? Could it be too
      that
      > the dies were more convex on the Connecticut quarter (or was the
      > planchet actually thinner than normal)?
      >
      > Both quarters are definitely a great pair together

      > <mdia1@> wrote:
      >

      > > It'll make a nice complement to a Connecticut quarter I have that
      > > shows an equally weak strike, but one in which the central design
      > > elements are the only ones visible, along with a weak design rim
      and
      > > no reeding whatsoever. It's in the "weak strikes" album, along
      with
      > > some other weakly struck state quarters that present a more
      > > conventional appearance.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic