14571Re: Interesting piece of embedded metal

    Sep 1, 2006
      The diffuse character of the "silver" makes it likely that it is
      indeed an intrinsic part of the planchet, rather than a rolled-in or
      struck-in error. Judging from the light/dark boundary in the copper
      area below, it would seem that the coin is also afflicted with a
      conventional improper alloy mix error.

      These view of mine are tentative pending an up-close examination. If
      you'd like, I'd be happy to inspect it for you.

      Mike

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, copstaffer
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Mike - In the Default Album I posted two pics of another similar
      looking cent...dramatic
      > like yours, but distinct in it's appearance. This one is certified
      by NGC as "Silver in
      > Planchet on Obverse." In this case, it appears the foreign metal
      is indeed an intrisic part of
      > the planchet. The "silver" is dispersed much differently than in
      yours and Rich's
      > coins...instead of looking like a strip of metal, it looks almost
      like it was "mixed" in before
      > the blank was even punched.
      >
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Thad

      <mdia1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It looks just like my error, Rich. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Of course if it IS just like my error, then it's not struck-in
      but is,
      > > instead, an intrinsic part of the planchet. As to its claimed
      > > composition as silver, this would be nothing more than a guess
      unless a
      > > chemical analysis was performed.
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Rich
      Schemmer"
      > > <RichErrors@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > This link to one I have on a 1911-D in MS 64
      > > > Price reflects the Rarity of the Date & the Very high Grade
      > > >
      > > > http://tinyurl.com/qxwmb
      > > >
      > > > Thanx
      > > > Rich Schemmer

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic