13931Re: Rockwell test mark

  • Jeff
    Jun 24, 2006
      Spending time in the, "dust files", I've come across an interesting
      observation of Eight Sac Dollars I've kept carded since 2000 when they
      came out. Every one of these "eight" are mechanical/strike doubled to
      some extent. (I am putting together a shipment for Mike D. and his
      research project/article and didn't want to overlook these Dollar
      Denom's with these forms of doubling).

      Here is something that I am hoping might relate to the Rockwell test mark.

      In the majority of these Mechanical or Strike doubled Sac Dollars I've
      kept, (after searched thousands of these Sac dollars for these other
      forms of doubling), there is a mark, an actual indent, in the lower
      lip of Sacagawea.

      I am going to post a set of four Pic's in the default albumn and see
      what you think.

      Sometimes the mark (indented pock) is tiny, but there. Sometimes it
      is easily visible and a bit bigger. I cannot detect a pressure ridge
      and the indentations are all very smooth. They are not a perfect
      circle.

      If the 71 S cent wasn't in the default folder to begin with so I could
      see it, I'd have never got myself started back on this cold trail of
      curiosity:)

      <mdia1@...> wrote:

      > I've posted a picture in the Default album of a Rockwell test mark on
      > the reverse of a 1971-S cent. Notice the very smooth surface of the
      > indentation and the complete absence of a pressure ridge.
      >
      > Test marks can be on the die or the planchet. Both need to be
      > checked for proper hardness.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
      > <adkinstone@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I returnned a rockwell test strike once I won high bid on. I
      > thought
      > > these test marks were supposed to be on the die and not the coin. I
      > > thought it would be a raised BB looking detail on the coin and not
      > > depression on the coin. Still this coin's tiny center indent wasn't
      > > perfectly circular so I decided to skip this error type altogether.
      > >
      > > Thats intersting your's is on a planchet. How would you know it was
      > > a "rockwell" mark and not instead just a planchet shot with a BB.
      > > When I was a kid I punished some Ike dollars with my crossman 760
      > BB
      > > gun. Each coin was wounded, but still spendable ;^)
      > >
      > > Lindy

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic