11280Re: Howard's thread on die clash

    Jan 1, 2006
      This raises another question. If struck clad layers point to a very
      small minimum distance as being normal, then one would expect most
      broadstrikes to be greatly expanded, especially among the thicker
      denominations. That's just not the case. There are clearly some
      wrinkles I'm not getting. Could it be that most loose clad layers
      don't receive a strike? I just don't see this pattern in the
      marketplace.

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:

      > Is there contrary evidence to the idea that there's a safety margin
      > built into the press to prevent die collision in the absence of a
      > planchet? A little. Detached clad layers show a strike (albeit an
      > incomplete one) even though they're very thin. This is true even for
      > relatively thick half dollars. It's a bit counterintuitive as one
      > would expect these thin layers to fall below the minimum die
      > distance. I can only conclude that the normal gap between the dies
      > is extremely slight in all denominations.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic