10054Re: Updated glossary of mint error descriptions and photos

  • byersnc
    Nov 1, 2005
      Mike D. I knew you'd like the CT 25c fold-over, only 1 of 2 known
      for the entire state quarter series.

      Even though the 3c nickel 1875 is a one sided fragment since it was
      resting on top of a blank when it was struck......it is so rare and
      unique since it's a 3c error- not a Lincoln cent error- that I
      decided to use it!!

      Here are 2 off center proof errors that I own (also double
      struck). Only a small part of the blank area shows:

      http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/2520277m.jpg
      http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/454576m.jpg

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:

      > That was fast!
      >
      > The foldover substitute is a perfect replacement.
      >
      > The 3c nickel substitute seems to be a good replacement. A
      uniface
      > strike is okay, but die-struck on both faces is usually a better
      > choice for illustration purposes, in my opinion.
      >
      > The Ike looks like brass to me as well, which begs the question of
      > which country the planchet was intended for.
      >
      > If you have any off-center proof coins, this will provide us with
      > baseline for judging what is, and isn't, a proof planchet. I
      haven't
      > seen any proofs that are off-center enough to expose a good,
      unstruck
      > swath of original surface.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks, Mike D. for your comments and suggestions. Here's my
      > > thoughts on your post:
      > >
      > > Your #1. Here's the new fold-over CT ST. Q. 25c that will
      replace
      > > the Lincoln Cent today:
      > > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/ctfoldoverm.jpg
      > >
      > > Your #2. Here's the 1875 3c Nickel struck fragment that will
      > replace
      > > the other one today:
      > >
      > > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/3018710e.jpg
      > >
      > > Your #4. That Ike sure looks brass!!
      > >
      > > Your #5. Here's the SBA O/C on a proof blank NGC that will
      replace
      > > the other one today:
      > >
      > > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/1278684-002e.jpg

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic