On getting fired and letters to editors

  • ericmillikin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      I've gotten several e-mails from people wondering why they
      haven't seen my comics in their newspaper lately. Thanks for the
      e-mails and all the nice things you've said to me, but you're really
      sending your letters to the wrong person. You see, telling me you
      like my comics and telling me you want my comics in your
      newspaper makes me feel good but if you don't send your letters
      TO THE NEWSPAPER then the chances are that the newspaper
      isn't going to see your side of things. It's the newspaper that
      decides whether to run my comics, not me. If it was up to me I'd
      be in every newspaper in the world, but it isn't up to me. It's up to
      you, the reader, and the editor of your newspaper.

      So, if you used to read Fetus-X comics in your local newspaper
      but then they suddenly stopped, go find the "letters to the editor"
      e-mail* and shoot them a quick note about how much you
      enjoyed reading about fetuses and mummies in their paper and
      how you'd like to see such things continue. Be passionate, but
      be polite. If you don't get the response you want, send another
      e-mail in a few weeks. Believe it or not, some editors aren't really
      that in touch with what their readers wamt -- unless you, their
      readers, spell it our for them.

      And the same thing applies if you've never read Fetus-X in your
      newspaper -- send your local newspaper editor a quick e-mail
      and tell them why they should.

      And, yes, feel free to pass this around.

      * No, I'm not giving out editors e-mails -- I think there's
      something not quite right about readers on one side of the
      country telling newspapers on the other side what they ought to
      print.

      Oh, and if you want to CC me on your e-mails to your local
      editors, that's always fun ...