Re:Feeding during the hay shortage

  • barn concierge
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2007
      When we had one before we fed soaked hay cubes, like a scant scoop per horse twice a day, and beet pulp--also soaked overnight --1 scoop twice a day, and you can also feed wheat bran (soaked again:) a half a scoop--whole scoop, it wont hurt them.

      Lots of people will tell you horses wont choke on unsoaked. I have had three different horses choke three different times, and it is not fun. Just soak the damn stuff and you wont have a problem. Often also, if they bolt their feed, like a young horse, they may choke. I got through a big hay shortage that way, with 20 horses to feed.

      best of luck:)

      Pat

      ---------------------------------
    • Sheila
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 30, 2007
        I went through the same thing about 3 years ago, but it wasn't a hay shortage. I live in an
        area with a large concentration of fescue in the grass hay. I couldn't find an alfalfa/timothy
        mix without fescue in it and had broodmares I needed to get off of fescue, so I went to
        shredded beet pulp, alfalfa chunks and some Equine Senior feed. My horses also seemed
        to need some filler to take care of their "grazing" needs, so I found a neighbor with
        bright, clean oat straw and put a little bit out (1/3 bale for each three mares) at each
        feeding and after they had eaten their other feed they would wait a while and then "graze"
        on the straw. I put it in round tanks with the plugs removed so it wasn't on the ground. It
        worked great and my mares all foaled on time with no problems at all. If it hadn't been so
        expensive feeding that way, I would probably do it for the last 90 days of gestation for my
        broodmares every year.

        Sheila
        http://www.wildwoodappaloosas.com

        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Renee Ilse <equieducator@...> wrote:

        > We had that happen last year. Couldn't find hay, then when we could, we couldn't afford
        it or it was bad or whatever. I have around 40 horses here that I care for and I had to do
        SOMETHING about it!

        > I ended up feeding my horses shredded beet pulp mixed with a pelleted feed and some
        alfalfa pellets. They ate this all winter, and I didn't loose a single horse! LOL I was
        feeding about 3 lbs. dry beet pulp, 3 lbs. pellets and mixed in some alfalfa pellets for
        flavor. I mixed this up in a bucket, then soaked it with water for about 15 to 30 minutes
        before feeding. Most horses took to it right away, some it took a while. I fed this twice a
        day.

        > The biggest problem was lack of chewing time. The horses wanted something to chew
        on, and they didn't have to chew on the beet pulp. If you could feed a small amount of
        hay and supplement with the beet pulp, you should come out all right.

        > I also do rescues, and this is what I feed to the skinny horses that come in, or the older
        ones that have no teeth to chew with. I have been able to turn around some really awful
        looking horses using this method, so I figure it's good enough for the healthy ones as
        well!

        > This year, we have had plenty of rain where I'm at so hay has been much more
        plentiful. However, I know I can always revert back to beet pulp if it's necessary....

        > Renee Ilse, John Lyons Certified Trainer
        > and CHA Certified Level 2 Riding Instructor
        >
        > Check out my website at www.full-circle-enterprises.com!

        group/full_circle_equestrian/

        > Helping people in South Central Texas
        > "God forbid I go to a Heaven where there are no horses!"

      • Susan Freiman
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2007
          Cindy, do you have a book on nutrition for horses that you can
          recommend? I have serveral for dogs and small animals, but haven't seen
          a really good one for horses.

          Susan

          Ryle Dittmar wrote:

          > Remember, if you are going to use beet pulp or a mixture of beet pulp
          > and alfalfa cubes to replace a significant portion of your horse's hay
          > you need to balance out the calcium:phosphorus ratio of the diet by
          > adding a feed stuff like bran at a rate of 2.5 oz bran per 1lb of
          > alfalfa or beet pulp.
          >
          > Cindy D., RVT

        • Rita Lockridge, RVT
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007

            The Nutrient Requirements of Horses is a good reference book online.

            http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309039894

            If you want a group reference (and there is over 5800 members) and many of them do their own nutritional balancing for their IR or Cushing’s horses and ponies.  Beet pulp is used as a staple in many of the diets and there is tons of information of diets, balancing, and replacing hay from this group.  I’m there due to having both IR and Cushing’s mares.

            Even without having a horse with Cushing’s or Insulin Resistance, the diet information is in depth and helpful!

            EquineCushings · Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

            Rita Lockridge, RVT

            Indiana

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • Ryle Dittmar
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007
              Wheat bran fed daily can definitely throw off the calcium:phosphorus ratio in the diet and that is important just as it is with beet pulp.
              And even with the hay shortage you still need to be sure to provide 1.5% of your horse's body weight in forage per day (on a dry weight basis).  You can use beet pulp, hay cubes, complete feeds, etc to help meet your horse's fiber requirements, but you still need to be concious of maintain the nutrient balance.

              Cindy D. RVT

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007
                Terri,
                Is it the same weight for each feedstuff?

                Cindy D., RVT
              • Ryle Dittmar
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Understanding Equine Nutrition by Karen Briggs is also a good book.

                  Cindy D., RVT

                  Ryle Dittmar wrote:

                  > Remember, if you are going to use beet pulp or a mixture of beet pulp
                  > and alfalfa cubes to replace a significant portion of your horse's hay
                  > you need to balance out the calcium:phosphorus ratio of the diet by
                  > adding a feed stuff like bran at a rate of 2.5 oz bran per 1lb of
                  > alfalfa or beet pulp.
                  >
                  > Cindy D., RVT

                • Terri
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Cindy now that you mention it I didn't think of weight per scoop
                    per foodstuff.
                    I guess you need to know the whole story, I'll try to make it brief.
                    We bought Almond (2yr paint filly) and Spice (7yr app Qh mix) Spice
                    was very over weight (per our vet) Almond was under weight due to abuse
                    they had been eating small town milling company sweet feed(grain mix).
                    On Labor Day W/End we went the auction to by tack ended up buying/
                    rescuing a 23yr mare & 3 mon foal. The mare was a 1 on the chart. After
                    much needed dental care and vet check (she was 500- 600 lbs under
                    weight) I started feeding her slowing and in the process changing
                    everyones feed to (except the foal) Nutrena Senior and Youth (for
                    Almond & Brianna 3mo foal). As the mare was getting use to feed again
                    finally increased her to 3 scoops Nutrena, with 1/4 scoop rice bran
                    complete access
                    to hay 24/7 (coastal) in between meal (when possible)she was getting
                    one 2.5 lb scoop of beet pulp alfalfa (6 cubes always soaked). We had
                    to stop the alfalfa due to her milk not drying up (we took the
                    baby from her on Monday Labor Day). I had read about wheat bran and
                    the calcium and did not quite understand it so I changed up on that
                    instead of everyday every other day.
                    Since Labor Day Weekend she has put around 450 lbs. Now I'm feeding 3 2.5
                    scoops of Nuterna Senior 3 times daily hay 24/7 (we have no pasture) I
                    was feeding that much until the vet check on 11/30/07. She laughed at
                    how beautiful Miss Doc is now and told me to cut the midday feeding
                    completely 2 scoops morning and evening. Brianna is now 14 hands @ 6
                    months old and a real spitfire.
                    I'm just supplementing every other day (according to how cold it is
                    also) with (I call it a hot totty):D Alfalfa , wheat bran and beet pulp.
                    I have realized that the Alfalfa is heavier so I give about 10
                    cubes, with one full scoop wheat bran ( is very lite) beet pulp one
                    scoop ( is lite also) I guess I need to find a scale to weight these
                    different foods. I believe that we have enough hay until the July 08
                    cutting. 15 1000 lbs round bales and 35 65 lb squares.
                    Could you tell me where I maybe can found a scale that will work? I
                    have a digital scale for two legs but, it will not work for scooper
                    and feed.
                    Thank you all
                    I really love being here, listening and learning.
                    You are a wonderful group.:D

                    Terri

                    > Terri,
                    > Is it the same weight for each feedstuff?
                    >
                    > Cindy D., RVT

                  • blazinge20032003
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
                      I'm sure if you looked at sears you might be able to fine one. A
                      friend of mine suggested bagging the grain and see if a grocery store
                      would weigh it for me. Good Idea. Or even where you get your grain
                      might weigh it for you. Teresa

                      --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Terri"
                      <butterflyx233@...> wrote:

                      > Cindy now that you mention it I didn't think of weight per scoop
                      > per foodstuff. I guess you need to know the whole story, I'll try to make it brief.
                      > We bought Almond (2yr paint filly) and Spice (7yr app Qh mix) Spice
                      > was very over weight (per our vet) Almond was under weight due to
                      abuse they had been eating small town milling company sweet feed(grain
                      mix).
                      > On Labor Day W/End we went the auction to by tack ended up buying/
                      > rescuing a 23yr mare & 3 mon foal. The mare was a 1 on the chart.
                      After much needed dental care and vet check (she was 500- 600 lbs under weight) I started feeding her slowing and in the process changing everyones feed to (except the foal) Nutrena Senior and Youth (for Almond & Brianna 3mo foal). As the mare was getting use to feed
                      again finally increased her to 3 scoops Nutrena, with 1/4 scoop rice bran complete access to hay 24/7 (coastal) in between meal (when possible)she was getting one 2.5 lb scoop of beet pulp alfalfa (6 cubes always soaked). We had to stop the alfalfa due to her milk not drying up (we took the baby from her on Monday Labor Day). I had read about wheat bran and the calcium and did not quite understand it so I changed up on that instead of everyday every other day.
                      Since Labor Day Weekend she has put around 450 lbs. Now I'm
                      feeding 3 2.5 scoops of Nutrena Senior 3 times daily hay 24/7 (we have no pasture) I was feeding that much until the vet check on 11/30/07. She laughed at how beautiful Miss Doc is now and told me to cut the midday feeding completely 2 scoops morning and evening. Brianna is now 14 hands @ 6 months old and a real spitfire.
                      I'm just supplementing every other day (according to how cold it is
                      also) with (I call it a hot totty):D Alfalfa , wheat bran and beet
                      pulp. I have realized that the Alfalfa is heavier so I give about 10
                      cubes, with one full scoop wheat bran ( is very lite) beet pulp one
                      scoop ( is lite also) I guess I need to find a scale to weigh these different foods. I believe that we have enough hay until the July

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
                        I am using an inexpensive food scale picked up at walmart.  You can however most likely use the digital scale you have and just weigh a bucket/bowl then pour in whatever feedstuff you want to weigh and subtract the weight of the container from the total weight of container and feed.

                        Truthfully, I would quit with the mix-in-match and just stick with straight senior for your rescue mare and feed according to the label.  It has directions for cutting down the amount of senior fed if hay is available on the package.  Then for those days when you want a "hot toddy", just add hot water to the senior and let is turn into a mash.    This way you are not changing the diet every other day nor having to worry about balancing this and that.  I would do the same with the younger horses and just add hot water to their regular diets on cold days if you want to give them a warm meal or just add a cup of  soaked warm beet pulp to the regular feed on cold days to help provide a hot meal.  This small an amount of beet pulp won't be enough to through off the ca:phos ratio.

                        Cindy D., RVT
                        Cindy now that you mention it I didn't think of weight per scoop
                        per foodstuff.
                        I guess you need to know the whole story, I'll try to make it brief.
                        We bought Almond (2yr paint filly) and Spice (7yr app Qh mix) Spice
                        was very over weight (per our vet) Almond was under weight due to abuse
                        they had been eating small town milling company sweet feed(grain mix).
                        On Labor Day W/End we went the auction to by tack ended up buying/
                        rescuing a 23yr mare & 3 mon foal. The mare was a 1 on the chart. After
                        much needed dental care and vet check (she was 500- 600 lbs under
                        weight) I started feeding her slowing and in the process changing
                        everyones feed to (except the foal) Nutrena Senior and Youth (for
                        Almond & Brianna 3mo foal). As the mare was getting use to feed again
                        finally increased her to 3 scoops Nutrena, with 1/4 scoop rice bran
                        complete access
                        to hay 24/7 (coastal) in between meal (when possible)she was getting
                        one 2.5 lb scoop of beet pulp alfalfa (6 cubes always soaked). We had
                        to stop the alfalfa due to her milk not drying up (we took the
                        baby from her on Monday Labor Day). I had read about wheat bran and
                        the calcium and did not quite understand it so I changed up on that
                        instead of everyday every other day.
                        Since Labor Day Weekend she has put around 450 lbs. Now I'm feeding 3 2.5
                        scoops of Nuterna Senior 3 times daily hay 24/7 (we have no pasture) I
                        was feeding that much until the vet check on 11/30/07. She laughed at
                        how beautiful Miss Doc is now and told me to cut the midday feeding
                        completely 2 scoops morning and evening. Brianna is now 14 hands @ 6
                        months old and a real spitfire.
                        I'm just supplementing every other day (according to how cold it is
                        also) with (I call it a hot totty):D Alfalfa , wheat bran and beet pulp.
                        I have realized that the Alfalfa is heavier so I give about 10
                        cubes, with one full scoop wheat bran ( is very lite) beet pulp one
                        scoop ( is lite also) I guess I need to find a scale to weight these
                        different foods. I believe that we have enough hay until the July 08
                        cutting. 15 1000 lbs round bales and 35 65 lb squares.
                        Could you tell me where I maybe can found a scale that will work? I
                        have a digital scale for two legs but, it will not work for scooper
                        and feed.
                        Thank you all
                        I really love being here, listening and learning.
                        You are a wonderful group.:D

                        Terri

                        > Terri,
                        > Is it the same weight for each feedstuff?
                        >
                        > Cindy D., RVT

                      • Terri
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Cindy
                          Thank you very much for your help. I will consider what you
                          have said about just keeping it simple, that way "hopefully" she will
                          not have as great a chance of colic. We did have a brief encounter
                          with a mild case of colic about 2 weeks into her rehab.

                          Terri

                          -- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Ryle Dittmar"
                          <Ryle@...> wrote:

                          > I am using an inexpensive food scale picked up at walmart.
                        • horsegal984
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
                            When we did our research over here in NC about the drought and
                            alternative feeds, we came across several sources that reccomended
                            adding straw or corn stover(fodder) to the diet for added fiber and
                            chewing time. It is important to note that either option would only
                            add fiber and no other digestible nutrients. Straw seemed to be the
                            better option, with I believe oat straw being the best and most
                            palatible of the choices. With any alternative feed option it is
                            important to remember that changing the diet can cause digestive
                            upset or colic. If feeding straw or corn byproducts it is even more
                            important to make sure that the horses are drinking adequate amounts
                            of water, as these alternatives could increase the chances of
                            impaction colic. Certainly these options would be best saved as a
                            last resort kind of option, but I know how bad things are here now,
                            and they're only going to get worse before they get better. If
                            anyone in the NC/VA/SC area is in desperate need of assistance, the
                            USERL is available, please contact them before horses start to suffer.

                            Katherine
                            RVT, NC

                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/full_circle_equestrian/

                            > Helping people in South Central Texas
                            > "God forbid I go to a Heaven where there are no horses!"

                          • Someone Somewhere
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
                              hi, i do a lot of rescue work, and i'm wondering why your using wheat bran? i find rice bran works so well for putting weight on the recue horses. i also like to use source wt, it's more of a digestive aid than a weight gain supplement, i have two underweight rescues right now, not a body score of 1 (i've had those before) but they are both aprox 30, and not easy to put weight on. this is what i feed them, three times a day, soaked into almost a soup for one, because he has NO teeth, and very sloppy for the other, as she does have teeth left::

                              2lbs purina ultium
                              2lbs horse chow
                              1 lb beet pulp (before soaking)
                              2 cups (measuring cups) manna pro pelleted rice bran
                              1 ounce farnum weight gain supplement
                              1/3 ounce source weight
                              1/4 cup soybean oil

                              i use a small scale purchased at walmart :)

                              best of luck!!
                            • Someone Somewhere

                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  She was feeding wheat bran to give her horses a "warm dinner" when the weather was bad.

                                  A  recommendation for you--you could do the same sort of weight gain on your senior (especially late 20's-early 30's horses) with less mix-n-match  and most likely provide better nutrition by going strictly with equine senior.  These older guys who can't chew get very little of the nutrients available in grain mixes and hay because they simply can't digest them well without being able to start the breakdown through chewing.  This means that much of this stuff just goes right through and you are wasting money on it.  Having hay available helps keep older horses content, but you need to be meeting all of their nutritional needs through their feed and taking into account that senior horse's have different needs from adults as far as vitamin/mineral content goes.  If you feed equine senior according to the label, you could then go to just a fat supplement or plain vegetable oil and get balanced nutrition that the horse can actually utilize.

                                  Cindy D., RVT
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                                    Back in th early 70's I used to feed my broodmares bran for the last month before foaling
                                    as I was told it would soften their stool and make things easier on them and some even
                                    thought it would go through the mare and help the foal with that first bowel movement. It
                                    seemed to work, but I was also told by my vet that a month was long enough for bran, that
                                    it could cause problems with the absorption of calcium. Is this still true or has it been
                                    found to not be true in more recent research?

                                    Also, when putting weight on a horse, how many people use some type of oil, such as corn
                                    oil, to help with weight gain? I use some oil, mostly to help the probiotics I feed my 26
                                    year old mare to stick to the Equine Sr. She kind of likes to sort her feed and is very good
                                    at it. She also gets shredded beet pulp and at night she gets 3 lbs. of alfalfa cubes,
                                    softened in water. In the morning she eats with a younger mare and she picks out the best
                                    of the hay every day. She is actually overweight, but I hesitate to change her feed amounts
                                    because she is doing so well. I have reduced some amounts, but it hasn't had any effect
                                    on her weight so far. She had to have a molar pulled last time the dentist was here and
                                    that is when I started soaking her cubes. Before that I just made sure they were broken up
                                    into very small pieces because were really large chunks.

                                    Sheila Kobs
                                    http://www.wildwoodappaloosas.com

                                    --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Someone Somewhere