stifle popping

  • cindygcarr
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
      my pony was down in her stall this morning and had trouble getting up.
      I could tell it wasn't colic so I guessed it was due to an old injury
      she got before I owned her. Her left hip is dimpled from being hurt
      and she is sometimes lame on that side. I give her bute and stall rest
      and she is o.k. for awhile. This morning I gave her bute while she was
      down, I messaged her legs and did some gentle flexing of them. We put
      hay bales around her in case she stumbled while trying to get up. She
      has never been down like this before and since she is up she is
      eating, drinking and walking but I see the stifle area popping and I
      have never seen this before. Does she need imediate vet attention for
      this or can I keep her on bute and stall rest. We have a lot of snow
      and ice and I have been keeping her in out of the weather because I
      didn't want to aggravate this old injury but here we are anyway! Any
      suggestions?
    • Ryle Dittmar
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
        Sorry I'm so late in posting, family health issues are keeping me a bit
        busy.

        Anyway, what you should do with this pony really depends on what kind
        of previous damage and is causing the lameness. It it's
        tendon's/ligaments then resting would probably be the recommended
        course of action, but for arthritic issues then stall rest is actually
        the opposit of what you should do.

        It would be best to have your vet assess your pony when she is lame or
        having trouble so that he can determine what kind of problem you are
        dealing with and what kind of maintenance/care would be best to help
        cut down on problems.

        Cindy D., RVT

        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "cindygcarr"