Rhino Virus

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      Okay, I've search through the data base here, done google searches,
      and and still at a lose for some of my questions. A mare on our
      field has lost her filly today, 2 months early. This is her send
      foal that she has lost in as many years. I talked to the vet, he
      didn't seem to think anything of it. I still don't like the odds
      here. So, here are my questions:

      Is Rhino contagious to other horses? Most of the other horses in our
      field are vaccinated yrly, specially our trail horses. This mare in
      particular has not been vaccinated (that I know of) in the past
      year.

      What should I keep an eye out for with this mare and the other
      horses on the propery?

      could the mare be a rhino carrier and not spread it to other horses
      except her foals?

      Just how is Rhino passed (air, correct?)

      Thanks in advance for any help in trying to figure out what is going
      on with this mare. I would like to have the vet out to test the foal
      for ehv-1, but not sure how that would go over since I would have to
      wait until Monday for him to be out here.

      I'll probably just go ahead and bury it, and not worry about it. If
      the owner wants to do the tests, they can have the vet out tomorrow
      and do so.

      Thanks again,
      Michelle - E. TN
    • Andrea Haas
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
        I replied to this yesterday, but its apparently lost
        somewhere...anyway, it can be difficult to determine the cause of an
        abortion, and infectious agents is only one category of causes.
        There can also be problems with the mare being able to carry a
        preganancy, problems with the placenta being able to support the
        pregnancy , or problems with the foal, even a twisted umbilicus.

        EHV is one of the infectious causative agents that comes to mind, but
        Salmonella, Streptococcus, EVA, fungal infections...you get the
        point. The only way to pinpoint what the cause was is to do
        diagnostics on the fetus, placenta, and even serum samples from the
        mare and herdmates.

        As far as vaccinating for EHV, the vaccine really isn't that good.
        Three months, maybe four months is all of the protection it gives.
        It is recommended to vaccinate pregnant mares at 3,5,7,and 9 months
        gestation. Mares can harbour the virus for awhile before passing it
        to the fetus. It is spread through inhalation of aerosolized nasal
        secretions of infected horses.

        Have you done any diagnostics on the mare? Culture, cytology, biopsy
        of the reproductive organs? The abortions may or may not be related,
        but I'd definately make sure the mare is capable of carrying a
        pregnancy to term.

        Andrea
        vet student
        UW SVM class of 2009
        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle"
        <msepelak@...> wrote:

        > Okay, I've search through the data base here, done google searches,
        > and and still at a lose for some of my questions. A mare on our
        > field has lost her filly today, 2 months early. This is her send
        > foal that she has lost in as many years. I talked to the vet, he
        > didn't seem to think anything of it. I still don't like the odds
        > here. So, here are my questions:
        >
        > Is Rhino contagious to other horses? Most of the other horses in
        our
        > field are vaccinated yrly, specially our trail horses. This mare in
        > particular has not been vaccinated (that I know of) in the past
        > year.
        >
        > What should I keep an eye out for with this mare and the other
        > horses on the propery?
        >
        > could the mare be a rhino carrier and not spread it to other horses
        > except her foals?
        >
        > Just how is Rhino passed (air, correct?)
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help in trying to figure out what is
        going
        > on with this mare. I would like to have the vet out to test the
        foal
        > for ehv-1, but not sure how that would go over since I would have
        > wait until Monday for him to be out here.
        >
        > I'll probably just go ahead and bury it, and not worry about it. If
        > the owner wants to do the tests, they can have the vet out tomorrow
        > and do so.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Michelle - E. TN

      • Ryle Dittmar
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007

          > Is Rhino contagious to other horses? Most of the other horses in
          our
          > field are vaccinated yrly, specially our trail horses. This mare in
          > particular has not been vaccinated (that I know of) in the past
          > year.

          Yes, Equine Herpes Virus is contageous to other horses and is easily
          spread. (Rhino is the name of the upper respiratory disease causes
          by EHV.) And the vaccines currently available only offer short-lived
          protection so horses that are kept in situations where they come into
          contact with outside horses frequently (boarding, breeding, showing,
          etc) should be vaccinated 3-4 times a year. Breeding mares should be
          vaccinated against EHV-1 prior to breeding and then boostered at 5, 7
          and 9 months of pregnancy to help prevent abortions.

          > What should I keep an eye out for with this mare and the other
          > horses on the propery?

          Coughing, snotty noses, fever or even neurological symptoms can all
          be caused by EHV-1.

          > could the mare be a rhino carrier and not spread it to other horses
          > except her foals?

          Yes, a mare can be a carrier and depending on different circumstances
          it's possible for it to only affect her and your other horses not
          become ill.

          > Just how is Rhino passed (air, correct?)

          Coughing, sneezing, contact with nasal secretions, contact with fetal
          membranes are all routes of transmission.

          Submission of the fetus for testing should be done ASAP rather than
          waiting a day or two, even if it's on a weekend or holiday. So if
          this continues to happen and you want to look for an answer, you need
          to contact your vet to come out and get samples immediately.

          Here are some good articles for you to read:
          http://www.xcodesign.com/aaep/displayArticles.cfm?ID=222

          http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/topics-EHV-1-info.htm (click on
          the links at the lower left for more information)

          http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/horses/facts/05-
          061.htm#miscellaneous

          But remember that it could be something other than EHV that is
          causing late term abortions in this mare. It would be a good idea to
          have a repro exam performed on the mare and review your management
          practices for pregnant mares to ensure that you are doing everything
          possible to provide a safe enviroment for this mare during pregnancy.

          Cindy D., RVT
        • Michelle Sepelak
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
            Thanks Andrea,

            We did have the vet out yesterday. Luckily it has been cold enough here that we were able to keep the baby and birth sack without worry of decay or lose of info. Mare and baby both look really good, The baby was a little Stud Colt, gonna be nice too. Anyways, according to our Vet, the sac, placenta, afterbirth, everything looks good and healthy. The Mare is doing excellant also. The only thing he noticed was that there was a hemerage on one of the "horns" (?). Not really sure what that means.

            The mares baby from 2 years ago is doing great. She is also here on property with us. Vet said to go ahead and rebreed her in March, we are going to wait until at least April, possibly even May. He will be out more to check on the mare, and her progress once she is rebred.

            Anyways, thanks for replying.

            Michelle of East TN

            It's here! Your new message!
          • Michelle
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
              Cindy,
              So for so long a delay in this response. We left town 1.5 weeks and
              went to FL (Daytona 500). I'm just getting back and getting caught
              up on everything.

              I wanted to thank you for your time in answering my questoins. And
              everyone else who has responded. I am still reading it all, and
              taking it all in. This experience has taught me a lesson that I plan
              on sharing with my website readers, and a few new articles to post
              on my website. It is amazing how you are always learning something
              new. Thanks again

              Thanks again,
              Michelle in TN
              http://www.equestriandays.com