Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Question on shots

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2007
      Debbie,

      Is the EVA for Eastern Nile Virus?  If so, you probably need to check with your vet - I know WNV (West Nile Virus), along with rabies, must be administered by a vet here in Texas - we can buy everything else we need online, except those 2...

      Lisa

      On 1/30/07, Debbie Schaffer <hrscrz40@...> wrote:

      I am planning on giving all my horses the EVA shots would like to hear
      what everyone thinks of theses AND would like to know if I have to wait
      to give them their regular shots and if so how long between or if can
      give both the same day.
      Thanks for any info and ideas.
      Debbie S

      --
      Hugs,

      Lisa

      Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    • Andrea Haas
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
        A four way means there are 4 different vaccines in it, a seven way
        would mean there are 7 different vaccines combined in one. So it
        does matter because it depends on what you want to vaccinate them
        for.

        Andrea
        vet student
        UW SVM class of 2009

        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, EmptyBarrelRanch@...
        wrote:

        > I have a question about shots. Whats the difference between like
        the 4-way or
        > 7-way? Or all the other numbers in there? Does it matter which one
        you give
        > to them? Jenn
        >
        > EmptyBarrelRanch Home
        > www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch

      • Ryle Dittmar
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
          Yes, it makes a difference what specific 4-way or 7-way vaccine you
          give. The 4-way vaccines are for 4 different diseases while the 7-
          way vaccines are for 7 different diseases. Plus there are several
          different 4-way and 7-way vaccines on the market and all 4-ways
          aren't for the same 4 diseases and all 7-way vaccines aren't for the
          same 7 diseases.

          You need to talk to your vet and determine exactly what diseases you
          need to be vaccinating for, when and how often and then choose your
          vaccines accordingly.

          Cindy D., RVT
          wrote:

          > I have a question about shots. Whats the difference between like
          the 4-way or
          > 7-way? Or all the other numbers in there? Does it matter which one
          you give
          > to them? Jenn
          >
          > EmptyBarrelRanch Home
          > www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch

        • crfoxtrotters1
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Lisa
            <texasrainbow@...> wrote:

            > Debbie,
            >
            > Is the EVA for Eastern Nile Virus?

            Equine Viral Arteritis.
          • EmptyBarrelRanch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
              I know that i was wondering what is the diff in which one should i use? Jenn

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                thanx cindy that helps. I have the vet comin next week. Will talk to her. Jenn

                EmptyBarrelRanch Home
                www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch
              • Debbie Schaffer
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                  I only have mares right now that I am breeding. I do have a young
                  stallion, 2 this yr that whenhe matures I will be using for my
                  breeding stallion. I do travel ALOT and show my horses at open and
                  barrel shows so my horses can be exposed in these ways. I have talked
                  to vets about it. Mine dont think we need to but ones in OK where I
                  am moving think we should and recommand that we do ALL the horses on
                  the property unless we have a way to isolate the ones we do, which I
                  dont. I also heard that they dont know how long it takes for mare to
                  sluff it off so are not sure how many breeding seasons can be lost
                  while waiting for them to do so. I just want to protect my mares from
                  aborting and also my stallion from getting it and passing it on. I
                  also know that some of the studs standing as barrel studs are NOT
                  allowing mares on to the property unless they are tested Neg or have
                  had the shot, as a safe guard to their horses.
                  I know of others who are sitting on the fence until more is know
                  about it.
                  Debbie

                  --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Haas"
                  <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

                  > What is your reasoning for the EVA vaccine? Do you have a positive
                  > stallion? Do you have a negative stallion who travels a lot? Do
                  you
                  > ship semen outside of the country? Are there postive horses in your
                  > area? The vaccine is really only recommended for breeding
                  stallions
                  > and mares who are bred by positive stallions. Actually, I did a
                  > project where I polled different vets across the country and most
                  vets
                  > don't give the vaccine at all. AAEP recommends the shot for all
                  > breeding colts over 6 months, but most vets didn't follow these
                  > guidelines. Stallions are the only who horses who can become
                  > persistantly infected; geldings and mares clear the infection and
                  gain
                  > long lasting immunity if they are exposed. I just want to make sure
                  > you've heard everything about the vaccine before giving it.
                  >
                  > Andrea
                  > vet student
                  > UW SVM class of 2009
                  > d a project for my Immunology course where I polled --- >
                • Andrea Haas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                    It depends on which brand you use and what you want to vaccinate
                    for...which depends on where you live, your horse, other horses, and
                    where you take your horse.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Well, I would get your colt tested first...you have to have a
                      negative test before you give the vaccine because he will test
                      positive after being vaccinated...also there are restrictions in some
                      countries regarding vaccination, and positive tests...if you plan on
                      exporting semen, make sure you are familiar with these. Then
                      vaccinate the colt. It can be spread through aerosol transmission,
                      however mares and geldings catch it and get rid of it. Thier immune
                      response is adequate and they develop long lasting immunity, which
                      means they get rid of it pretty easily, and won't be susceptible
                      again for awhile-"Equine Viral Arteritis"- P. J. Timoney
                      Gluck Equine Research Center, Department of Veterinary Science, The
                      University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA

                      Stallions however become chronic carriers...which is why they are
                      vaccinated more so than mares. The last outbreaks I have heard about
                      were in New Mexico this year...most vets don't recommend the vaccine
                      because the disease occurs very sporadically. Also, you cannot
                      vaccinate pregnant mares because it is a live virus vaccine. For
                      this reason, any horses who receive the vaccine need to be kept away
                      from any pregnant mares.

                      But, if you feel like your horses are definately at risk, I would
                      vaccinate the colt for sure. Do you travel with your mares that you
                      breed as well? If they are pregnant when the travel, or thier
                      herdmates travel, I guess vaccinating them to might be a good idea.

                      This link has some info on the disease
                      http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/52900.htm

                      Andrea
                      vet student
                      UW SVM class of 2009

                      --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Schaffer"

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                        The vet I talked to in OK said we SHOULD get them vaccinated all the
                        horses because of having the chance of them catching it if the others
                        are done.
                        I know that they have to have a test first since they show postive
                        after the shot, but they do test and give shots the same day they
                        draw blood. I dont plan on shipping semen, at least not for a while I
                        mainly plan on breeding my mares to him for a couple of yrs at least.
                        The vet I talked to said that it IS safe to give to broodmares but
                        needs to be 60 days before foaling, they have been doing it in OK and
                        Tx. He said they went to a seminar and the guy, dont remember who he
                        said was a leading authority on this. Just repeating what I was told,
                        also said that if I am going to breed any of my studs I NEED to get
                        them done. No My mares dont travel but are in pastures next to my
                        running horses and can come into contact with them. I was also told
                        that they dont know HOW long it takes for a mare and gelding to sluff
                        off the EVA so not sure how long it will be vefore I could resume
                        breeding again.
                        I was also told that is was ok to give my mares in foal the shots
                        that contain the live version of rhino, I always thought it was NOT
                        alright, which do I believe. I just want to do what is best for my
                        horses and protect them against these things. I do sometimes wonder
                        though If I am not hurting them by OVER doing it. I mean that I
                        wonder if they like us need shots for a coouple of yrs then dont need
                        them again except every so many yrs as boosters. Has a study ever
                        been done on this?

                        Will read the information from the link and try to decide which is
                        best for my horses.
                        Thanks so much for sending it and helping with this,
                        Debbie S

                        <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

                        > Well, I would get your colt tested first...you have to have a
                        > negative test before you give the vaccine because he will test
                        > positive after being vaccinated...also there are restrictions in
                        some
                        > countries regarding vaccination, and positive tests...if you plan
                        on
                        > exporting semen, make sure you are familiar with these. Then
                        > vaccinate the colt. It can be spread through aerosol transmission,
                        > however mares and geldings catch it and get rid of it. Thier
                        immune
                        > response is adequate and they develop long lasting immunity, which
                        > means they get rid of it pretty easily, and won't be susceptible
                        > again for awhile-"Equine Viral Arteritis"- P. J. Timoney
                        > Gluck Equine Research Center, Department of Veterinary Science, The
                        > University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
                        >
                        > Stallions however become chronic carriers...which is why they are
                        > vaccinated more so than mares. The last outbreaks I have heard
                        about
                        > were in New Mexico this year...most vets don't recommend the
                        vaccine
                        > because the disease occurs very sporadically. Also, you cannot
                        > vaccinate pregnant mares because it is a live virus vaccine. For
                        > this reason, any horses who receive the vaccine need to be kept
                        away
                        > from any pregnant mares.
                        >
                        > But, if you feel like your horses are definately at risk, I would
                        > vaccinate the colt for sure. Do you travel with your mares that
                        you
                        > breed as well? If they are pregnant when the travel, or thier
                        > herdmates travel, I guess vaccinating them to might be a good idea.
                        >
                        > This link has some info on the disease
                        > http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/52900.htm
                        >
                        > Andrea
                        > vet student
                        > UW SVM class of 2009

                      • Andrea Haas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                          Maybe that's what they like to do in OK, the vets I polled were from
                          Wisconsin, Florida, and New Mexico. None of the WI vets recommended
                          the vaccine, except for colts in some instances, the Florida vet
                          vaccinated all of the stallions in his practice, but no mares unless
                          they were to be bred to an EVA positive stallion, and the ones in New
                          Mexico were variable on whether they vaccinated stallions, and none
                          of them recommended vaccinating mares unless being bred to an EVA
                          positive stallion. I did read a paper from CSU about a strategy
                          involving vaccinating all of the horses on a breeding farm if it is
                          in a high risk area. Have there been a lot of outbreaks in OK? I
                          haven't heard of any...

                          The vaccine in not approved for pregnant mares...I wouldn't give any
                          type of modified live vaccine to a pregnant mare. Its to risky to
                          the foal. That is what they teach us here at school is well...Don't
                          give modified-live vaccines (MLV) to a pregnant animal period. There
                          are usually alternatives, or other periods of time when vaccination
                          can be done when the animal isn't pregnant. When you give a MLV you
                          are essentially infecting the animal with a live strain of virus,
                          although it is weaker than a natural version, it can become strong
                          again, or still cause problems with the foal. However, the CSU paper
                          also documents that the vaccine has been given to pregnant mares with
                          no documentation of abortion or infected foals...I still wouldn't do
                          it, but some people apparently have.

                          Vaccines in some animals (dogs and cats!), including humans work very
                          well, however in the horse for some reason, it is difficult to get a
                          long lasting immunity from a vaccine. The best vaccines we have only
                          last a year, and many, like EHV vaccines only last 3 months! (hence
                          giving the rhino shot at 3,5,7 and 9 months) The vaccines are tested
                          through challenge studies by the manufacturer to determine the length
                          of immunity achieved. So even though we can go 10 years in between a
                          tetanus shot, a horse only has immunity to the same thing for 1
                          year.

                          <hrscrz40@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > Stallions however become chronic carriers...which is why they
                          are
                          > > vaccinated more so than mares. The last outbreaks I have heard
                          > about
                          > > were in New Mexico this year...most vets don't recommend the
                          > vaccine
                          > > because the disease occurs very sporadically. Also, you cannot
                          > > vaccinate pregnant mares because it is a live virus vaccine. For
                          > > this reason, any horses who receive the vaccine need to be kept
                          > away
                          > > from any pregnant mares.
                          > >
                          > > But, if you feel like your horses are definately at risk, I would
                          > > vaccinate the colt for sure. Do you travel with your mares that
                          > you
                          > > breed as well? If they are pregnant when the travel, or thier
                          > > herdmates travel, I guess vaccinating them to might be a good

                        • Debbie Schaffer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                            Thanks for the reply and the info Andrea,
                            No as far as I know there HASNT (not a shout a strees word), been
                            any cases in OK or in Pilot Point, TX, which is near here but they
                            are big time breeding operations there. I know this thing with Dash
                            to Fame has the barrel racing world scared. The vet I talked to said
                            that ALL the vaccine has been sold out and no more avalible until
                            March, which kinda bothers me on a different level, as I am worried
                            they may be in such a rush to produce more that they take short cuts,
                            not thinking they will hurt anything.
                            I am also worried about the fact IF I give it to my 2 mares, one in
                            foal and one open can they pass it on to the stallions they breed
                            with, live cover, who have NOT had the shot, I mean after the period
                            it can spread is over, just by having had the virus in their system?
                            I was told no by this other vet who says it SHOULD be given but have
                            they really DONE enough studies to KNOW for sure.
                            I guess another thing I am having troubel grasping is the fact if
                            it HAS been out there for so long WHY is it that some are NOW wanting
                            us to panic and get it??
                            I really and truely am torn on this as I want to do what is right
                            for the horses but at the same time dont want to jump out and just do
                            it for the sake of doing it and MAYBE in the end hurt my horses at
                            the same time.
                            I know of one breeder who said he didnt care IF it hurt his unborn
                            babies he was going to make sure ALL his mares had it before they
                            foaled, I just done understand that kind of reasoning at all.
                            I think I will take the approach of a friend of mine and just wait
                            and see.
                            Also thanks for the info on the shots. DO have a question on the
                            EHV now though, I know we give the broodmares shots at 3/5/7&9
                            months BUT what about the other horses that we only give once a yr?
                            I do give my running horses another booster shot in the fall as we
                            are still running then and seems like alot of the horses we come into
                            contact with are sick then so just take it safe and give them a
                            booster than. SHoule I be giving them one in the summer too??
                            Sorry to be such a pain,
                            Debbie S

                            <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

                            > Maybe that's what they like to do in OK, the vets I polled were
                            from
                            > Wisconsin, Florida, and New Mexico. None of the WI vets
                            recommended
                            > the vaccine, except for colts in some instances, the Florida vet
                            > vaccinated all of the stallions in his practice, but no mares
                            unless
                            > they were to be bred to an EVA positive stallion, and the ones in
                            New
                            > Mexico were variable on whether they vaccinated stallions, and none
                            > of them recommended vaccinating mares unless being bred to an EVA
                            > positive stallion. I did read a paper from CSU about a strategy
                            > involving vaccinating all of the horses on a breeding farm if it is
                            > in a high risk area. Have there been a lot of outbreaks in OK? I
                            > haven't heard of any...
                            >
                            > The vaccine in not approved for pregnant mares...I wouldn't give
                            any
                            > type of modified live vaccine to a pregnant mare. Its to risky to
                            > the foal. That is what they teach us here at school is
                            well...Don't
                            > give modified-live vaccines (MLV) to a pregnant animal period.
                            There
                            > are usually alternatives, or other periods of time when vaccination
                            > can be done when the animal isn't pregnant. When you give a MLV
                            you
                            > are essentially infecting the animal with a live strain of virus,
                            > although it is weaker than a natural version, it can become strong
                            > again, or still cause problems with the foal. However, the CSU
                            paper
                            > also documents that the vaccine has been given to pregnant mares
                            with
                            > no documentation of abortion or infected foals...I still wouldn't
                            do
                            > it, but some people apparently have.
                            >
                            > Vaccines in some animals (dogs and cats!), including humans work
                            very
                            > well, however in the horse for some reason, it is difficult to get
                            > long lasting immunity from a vaccine. The best vaccines we have
                            only
                            > last a year, and many, like EHV vaccines only last 3 months! (hence
                            > giving the rhino shot at 3,5,7 and 9 months) The vaccines are
                            tested
                            > through challenge studies by the manufacturer to determine the
                            length
                            > of immunity achieved. So even though we can go 10 years in between
                            > tetanus shot, a horse only has immunity to the same thing for 1
                            > year.
                            >
                            > Andrea
                            > vet student
                            > UW SVM Class of 2009

                          • Andrea Haas
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                              Hi Debbie, the same thing happened this fall when there was an
                              outbreak in New Mexico...everyone panicked and the vaccine was sold
                              out for a few months.

                              There hasn't been strong evidence that the vaccine can cause disease
                              in other horses, but since its modified live, there is always a risk,
                              so there are precautions recommended just in case. I'm not sure if
                              mares can pass it venearally to stallions...I haven't heard of it.
                              Three weeks after natural infection, the only thing that will be left
                              in the mare is antibodies against the virus. The virus will have
                              been cleared. After a mare is bred to a carrier stallion, it is
                              recommended she be quarentined for 21 days, so that must be enough
                              time that she will have the virus cleared. After vaccination, since
                              the virus isn't as strong, I would think it would clear faster.

                              As far as EHV, the vaccine isn't the best. However, if your horse
                              isn't at a high risk of exposure, annual revaccination may be okay.
                              If you are showing, and your horse is at more risk, revaccination is
                              recommended (by AAEP) every 3-4 months.

                              http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/AAEP_vacc_guide.pdf
                              This link is for the AAEP vaccination guidelines