Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Question on shots

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2007
      Debbie,

      Is the EVA for Eastern Nile Virus?  If so, you probably need to check with your vet - I know WNV (West Nile Virus), along with rabies, must be administered by a vet here in Texas - we can buy everything else we need online, except those 2...

      Lisa

      On 1/30/07, Debbie Schaffer <hrscrz40@...> wrote:

      I am planning on giving all my horses the EVA shots would like to hear
      what everyone thinks of theses AND would like to know if I have to wait
      to give them their regular shots and if so how long between or if can
      give both the same day.
      Thanks for any info and ideas.
      Debbie S

      --
      Hugs,

      Lisa

      Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    • EmptyBarrelRanch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 31, 2007
        I have a question about shots. Whats the difference between like the 4-way or 7-way? Or all the other numbers in there? Does it matter which one you give to them? Jenn

        EmptyBarrelRanch Home
        www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch
      • Andrea Haas
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
          A four way means there are 4 different vaccines in it, a seven way
          would mean there are 7 different vaccines combined in one. So it
          does matter because it depends on what you want to vaccinate them
          for.

          Andrea
          vet student
          UW SVM class of 2009

          --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, EmptyBarrelRanch@...
          wrote:

          > I have a question about shots. Whats the difference between like
          the 4-way or
          > 7-way? Or all the other numbers in there? Does it matter which one
          you give
          > to them? Jenn
          >
          > EmptyBarrelRanch Home
          > www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch

        • Ryle Dittmar
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
            Yes, it makes a difference what specific 4-way or 7-way vaccine you
            give. The 4-way vaccines are for 4 different diseases while the 7-
            way vaccines are for 7 different diseases. Plus there are several
            different 4-way and 7-way vaccines on the market and all 4-ways
            aren't for the same 4 diseases and all 7-way vaccines aren't for the
            same 7 diseases.

            You need to talk to your vet and determine exactly what diseases you
            need to be vaccinating for, when and how often and then choose your
            vaccines accordingly.

            Cindy D., RVT
            wrote:

            > I have a question about shots. Whats the difference between like
            the 4-way or
            > 7-way? Or all the other numbers in there? Does it matter which one
            you give
            > to them? Jenn
            >
            > EmptyBarrelRanch Home
            > www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch

          • crfoxtrotters1
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
              --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Lisa
              <texasrainbow@...> wrote:

              > Debbie,
              >
              > Is the EVA for Eastern Nile Virus?

              Equine Viral Arteritis.
            • EmptyBarrelRanch@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                I know that i was wondering what is the diff in which one should i use? Jenn

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                  thanx cindy that helps. I have the vet comin next week. Will talk to her. Jenn

                  EmptyBarrelRanch Home
                  www.itsmysite.com/EmptyBarrelRanch
                • Debbie Schaffer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
                    I only have mares right now that I am breeding. I do have a young
                    stallion, 2 this yr that whenhe matures I will be using for my
                    breeding stallion. I do travel ALOT and show my horses at open and
                    barrel shows so my horses can be exposed in these ways. I have talked
                    to vets about it. Mine dont think we need to but ones in OK where I
                    am moving think we should and recommand that we do ALL the horses on
                    the property unless we have a way to isolate the ones we do, which I
                    dont. I also heard that they dont know how long it takes for mare to
                    sluff it off so are not sure how many breeding seasons can be lost
                    while waiting for them to do so. I just want to protect my mares from
                    aborting and also my stallion from getting it and passing it on. I
                    also know that some of the studs standing as barrel studs are NOT
                    allowing mares on to the property unless they are tested Neg or have
                    had the shot, as a safe guard to their horses.
                    I know of others who are sitting on the fence until more is know
                    about it.
                    Debbie

                    --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Haas"
                    <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

                    > What is your reasoning for the EVA vaccine? Do you have a positive
                    > stallion? Do you have a negative stallion who travels a lot? Do
                    you
                    > ship semen outside of the country? Are there postive horses in your
                    > area? The vaccine is really only recommended for breeding
                    stallions
                    > and mares who are bred by positive stallions. Actually, I did a
                    > project where I polled different vets across the country and most
                    vets
                    > don't give the vaccine at all. AAEP recommends the shot for all
                    > breeding colts over 6 months, but most vets didn't follow these
                    > guidelines. Stallions are the only who horses who can become
                    > persistantly infected; geldings and mares clear the infection and
                    gain
                    > long lasting immunity if they are exposed. I just want to make sure
                    > you've heard everything about the vaccine before giving it.
                    >
                    > Andrea
                    > vet student
                    > UW SVM class of 2009
                    > d a project for my Immunology course where I polled --- >
                  • Andrea Haas
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                      It depends on which brand you use and what you want to vaccinate
                      for...which depends on where you live, your horse, other horses, and
                      where you take your horse.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Well, I would get your colt tested first...you have to have a
                        negative test before you give the vaccine because he will test
                        positive after being vaccinated...also there are restrictions in some
                        countries regarding vaccination, and positive tests...if you plan on
                        exporting semen, make sure you are familiar with these. Then
                        vaccinate the colt. It can be spread through aerosol transmission,
                        however mares and geldings catch it and get rid of it. Thier immune
                        response is adequate and they develop long lasting immunity, which
                        means they get rid of it pretty easily, and won't be susceptible
                        again for awhile-"Equine Viral Arteritis"- P. J. Timoney
                        Gluck Equine Research Center, Department of Veterinary Science, The
                        University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA

                        Stallions however become chronic carriers...which is why they are
                        vaccinated more so than mares. The last outbreaks I have heard about
                        were in New Mexico this year...most vets don't recommend the vaccine
                        because the disease occurs very sporadically. Also, you cannot
                        vaccinate pregnant mares because it is a live virus vaccine. For
                        this reason, any horses who receive the vaccine need to be kept away
                        from any pregnant mares.

                        But, if you feel like your horses are definately at risk, I would
                        vaccinate the colt for sure. Do you travel with your mares that you
                        breed as well? If they are pregnant when the travel, or thier
                        herdmates travel, I guess vaccinating them to might be a good idea.

                        This link has some info on the disease
                        http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/52900.htm

                        Andrea
                        vet student
                        UW SVM class of 2009

                        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Schaffer"

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                          The vet I talked to in OK said we SHOULD get them vaccinated all the
                          horses because of having the chance of them catching it if the others
                          are done.
                          I know that they have to have a test first since they show postive
                          after the shot, but they do test and give shots the same day they
                          draw blood. I dont plan on shipping semen, at least not for a while I
                          mainly plan on breeding my mares to him for a couple of yrs at least.
                          The vet I talked to said that it IS safe to give to broodmares but
                          needs to be 60 days before foaling, they have been doing it in OK and
                          Tx. He said they went to a seminar and the guy, dont remember who he
                          said was a leading authority on this. Just repeating what I was told,
                          also said that if I am going to breed any of my studs I NEED to get
                          them done. No My mares dont travel but are in pastures next to my
                          running horses and can come into contact with them. I was also told
                          that they dont know HOW long it takes for a mare and gelding to sluff
                          off the EVA so not sure how long it will be vefore I could resume
                          breeding again.
                          I was also told that is was ok to give my mares in foal the shots
                          that contain the live version of rhino, I always thought it was NOT
                          alright, which do I believe. I just want to do what is best for my
                          horses and protect them against these things. I do sometimes wonder
                          though If I am not hurting them by OVER doing it. I mean that I
                          wonder if they like us need shots for a coouple of yrs then dont need
                          them again except every so many yrs as boosters. Has a study ever
                          been done on this?

                          Will read the information from the link and try to decide which is
                          best for my horses.
                          Thanks so much for sending it and helping with this,
                          Debbie S

                          <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

                          > Well, I would get your colt tested first...you have to have a
                          > negative test before you give the vaccine because he will test
                          > positive after being vaccinated...also there are restrictions in
                          some
                          > countries regarding vaccination, and positive tests...if you plan
                          on
                          > exporting semen, make sure you are familiar with these. Then
                          > vaccinate the colt. It can be spread through aerosol transmission,
                          > however mares and geldings catch it and get rid of it. Thier
                          immune
                          > response is adequate and they develop long lasting immunity, which
                          > means they get rid of it pretty easily, and won't be susceptible
                          > again for awhile-"Equine Viral Arteritis"- P. J. Timoney
                          > Gluck Equine Research Center, Department of Veterinary Science, The
                          > University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
                          >
                          > Stallions however become chronic carriers...which is why they are
                          > vaccinated more so than mares. The last outbreaks I have heard
                          about
                          > were in New Mexico this year...most vets don't recommend the
                          vaccine
                          > because the disease occurs very sporadically. Also, you cannot
                          > vaccinate pregnant mares because it is a live virus vaccine. For
                          > this reason, any horses who receive the vaccine need to be kept
                          away
                          > from any pregnant mares.
                          >
                          > But, if you feel like your horses are definately at risk, I would
                          > vaccinate the colt for sure. Do you travel with your mares that
                          you
                          > breed as well? If they are pregnant when the travel, or thier
                          > herdmates travel, I guess vaccinating them to might be a good idea.
                          >
                          > This link has some info on the disease
                          > http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/52900.htm
                          >
                          > Andrea
                          > vet student
                          > UW SVM class of 2009

                        • Andrea Haas
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                            Maybe that's what they like to do in OK, the vets I polled were from
                            Wisconsin, Florida, and New Mexico. None of the WI vets recommended
                            the vaccine, except for colts in some instances, the Florida vet
                            vaccinated all of the stallions in his practice, but no mares unless
                            they were to be bred to an EVA positive stallion, and the ones in New
                            Mexico were variable on whether they vaccinated stallions, and none
                            of them recommended vaccinating mares unless being bred to an EVA
                            positive stallion. I did read a paper from CSU about a strategy
                            involving vaccinating all of the horses on a breeding farm if it is
                            in a high risk area. Have there been a lot of outbreaks in OK? I
                            haven't heard of any...

                            The vaccine in not approved for pregnant mares...I wouldn't give any
                            type of modified live vaccine to a pregnant mare. Its to risky to
                            the foal. That is what they teach us here at school is well...Don't
                            give modified-live vaccines (MLV) to a pregnant animal period. There
                            are usually alternatives, or other periods of time when vaccination
                            can be done when the animal isn't pregnant. When you give a MLV you
                            are essentially infecting the animal with a live strain of virus,
                            although it is weaker than a natural version, it can become strong
                            again, or still cause problems with the foal. However, the CSU paper
                            also documents that the vaccine has been given to pregnant mares with
                            no documentation of abortion or infected foals...I still wouldn't do
                            it, but some people apparently have.

                            Vaccines in some animals (dogs and cats!), including humans work very
                            well, however in the horse for some reason, it is difficult to get a
                            long lasting immunity from a vaccine. The best vaccines we have only
                            last a year, and many, like EHV vaccines only last 3 months! (hence
                            giving the rhino shot at 3,5,7 and 9 months) The vaccines are tested
                            through challenge studies by the manufacturer to determine the length
                            of immunity achieved. So even though we can go 10 years in between a
                            tetanus shot, a horse only has immunity to the same thing for 1
                            year.

                            <hrscrz40@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > Stallions however become chronic carriers...which is why they
                            are
                            > > vaccinated more so than mares. The last outbreaks I have heard
                            > about
                            > > were in New Mexico this year...most vets don't recommend the
                            > vaccine
                            > > because the disease occurs very sporadically. Also, you cannot
                            > > vaccinate pregnant mares because it is a live virus vaccine. For
                            > > this reason, any horses who receive the vaccine need to be kept
                            > away
                            > > from any pregnant mares.
                            > >
                            > > But, if you feel like your horses are definately at risk, I would
                            > > vaccinate the colt for sure. Do you travel with your mares that
                            > you
                            > > breed as well? If they are pregnant when the travel, or thier
                            > > herdmates travel, I guess vaccinating them to might be a good

                          • Debbie Schaffer
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                              Thanks for the reply and the info Andrea,
                              No as far as I know there HASNT (not a shout a strees word), been
                              any cases in OK or in Pilot Point, TX, which is near here but they
                              are big time breeding operations there. I know this thing with Dash
                              to Fame has the barrel racing world scared. The vet I talked to said
                              that ALL the vaccine has been sold out and no more avalible until
                              March, which kinda bothers me on a different level, as I am worried
                              they may be in such a rush to produce more that they take short cuts,
                              not thinking they will hurt anything.
                              I am also worried about the fact IF I give it to my 2 mares, one in
                              foal and one open can they pass it on to the stallions they breed
                              with, live cover, who have NOT had the shot, I mean after the period
                              it can spread is over, just by having had the virus in their system?
                              I was told no by this other vet who says it SHOULD be given but have
                              they really DONE enough studies to KNOW for sure.
                              I guess another thing I am having troubel grasping is the fact if
                              it HAS been out there for so long WHY is it that some are NOW wanting
                              us to panic and get it??
                              I really and truely am torn on this as I want to do what is right
                              for the horses but at the same time dont want to jump out and just do
                              it for the sake of doing it and MAYBE in the end hurt my horses at
                              the same time.
                              I know of one breeder who said he didnt care IF it hurt his unborn
                              babies he was going to make sure ALL his mares had it before they
                              foaled, I just done understand that kind of reasoning at all.
                              I think I will take the approach of a friend of mine and just wait
                              and see.
                              Also thanks for the info on the shots. DO have a question on the
                              EHV now though, I know we give the broodmares shots at 3/5/7&9
                              months BUT what about the other horses that we only give once a yr?
                              I do give my running horses another booster shot in the fall as we
                              are still running then and seems like alot of the horses we come into
                              contact with are sick then so just take it safe and give them a
                              booster than. SHoule I be giving them one in the summer too??
                              Sorry to be such a pain,
                              Debbie S

                              <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

                              > Maybe that's what they like to do in OK, the vets I polled were
                              from
                              > Wisconsin, Florida, and New Mexico. None of the WI vets
                              recommended
                              > the vaccine, except for colts in some instances, the Florida vet
                              > vaccinated all of the stallions in his practice, but no mares
                              unless
                              > they were to be bred to an EVA positive stallion, and the ones in
                              New
                              > Mexico were variable on whether they vaccinated stallions, and none
                              > of them recommended vaccinating mares unless being bred to an EVA
                              > positive stallion. I did read a paper from CSU about a strategy
                              > involving vaccinating all of the horses on a breeding farm if it is
                              > in a high risk area. Have there been a lot of outbreaks in OK? I
                              > haven't heard of any...
                              >
                              > The vaccine in not approved for pregnant mares...I wouldn't give
                              any
                              > type of modified live vaccine to a pregnant mare. Its to risky to
                              > the foal. That is what they teach us here at school is
                              well...Don't
                              > give modified-live vaccines (MLV) to a pregnant animal period.
                              There
                              > are usually alternatives, or other periods of time when vaccination
                              > can be done when the animal isn't pregnant. When you give a MLV
                              you
                              > are essentially infecting the animal with a live strain of virus,
                              > although it is weaker than a natural version, it can become strong
                              > again, or still cause problems with the foal. However, the CSU
                              paper
                              > also documents that the vaccine has been given to pregnant mares
                              with
                              > no documentation of abortion or infected foals...I still wouldn't
                              do
                              > it, but some people apparently have.
                              >
                              > Vaccines in some animals (dogs and cats!), including humans work
                              very
                              > well, however in the horse for some reason, it is difficult to get
                              > long lasting immunity from a vaccine. The best vaccines we have
                              only
                              > last a year, and many, like EHV vaccines only last 3 months! (hence
                              > giving the rhino shot at 3,5,7 and 9 months) The vaccines are
                              tested
                              > through challenge studies by the manufacturer to determine the
                              length
                              > of immunity achieved. So even though we can go 10 years in between
                              > tetanus shot, a horse only has immunity to the same thing for 1
                              > year.
                              >
                              > Andrea
                              > vet student
                              > UW SVM Class of 2009

                            • Andrea Haas
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                                Hi Debbie, the same thing happened this fall when there was an
                                outbreak in New Mexico...everyone panicked and the vaccine was sold
                                out for a few months.

                                There hasn't been strong evidence that the vaccine can cause disease
                                in other horses, but since its modified live, there is always a risk,
                                so there are precautions recommended just in case. I'm not sure if
                                mares can pass it venearally to stallions...I haven't heard of it.
                                Three weeks after natural infection, the only thing that will be left
                                in the mare is antibodies against the virus. The virus will have
                                been cleared. After a mare is bred to a carrier stallion, it is
                                recommended she be quarentined for 21 days, so that must be enough
                                time that she will have the virus cleared. After vaccination, since
                                the virus isn't as strong, I would think it would clear faster.

                                As far as EHV, the vaccine isn't the best. However, if your horse
                                isn't at a high risk of exposure, annual revaccination may be okay.
                                If you are showing, and your horse is at more risk, revaccination is
                                recommended (by AAEP) every 3-4 months.

                                http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/AAEP_vacc_guide.pdf
                                This link is for the AAEP vaccination guidelines