wound care ??

  • Sharon Huskey
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
      I have a broodmare who had a nasty scar on the front shin of a hind leg.
      Stupid me stalled her in a space where I had cut a small cat door years ago and didn't think to cover it before making it a stall. Of course that's where she stuck her leg, the one with the scar. 2 days before I was to deliver her to her new owner.
      The wound was deep and nasty, could not be sew, nothing left to sew back together. Vet came, cleaned and wrapped with furacin (sp?) This was 3 weeks ago. I have been changing the bandage evry few days and using triple antibiotic ointment. The wound looks great, never any infection, never went lame !!
      It has grown proud flesh to fill in the hole and is under control. Now here's my questions.
      1. How long do I keep it wrapped ?
      2. How long do I continue with triple antibiotic ?
      3. What would I change to med/ointment wise ? cold weather so no flies but cold enough to get chapped.

      The old scar was ugly, looked like it wasn't cared for well, ragged looking. Will the new flesh growth heal better since this wound is being cared for ?

      I have a pic of it when it happened, after the vet cleaned it but before she wrapped it. I am due for a bandage change tomorrow and will take another pic. Anyone interested in seeing it ?

      Sharon

    • Tish
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
        "I have a pic of it when it happened, after the vet cleaned it but before she wrapped it. I am due for a "

        I'm always interested in learning everything I can in order to be a better caretaker of the animals entrusted to me.  So yes, I would love to see the pictures.
        Thanks, Tish

      • Liza
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
          Hi Sharon,
          I am very interested in seeing it. I went through this 2 winters ago
          only my mare went through some ice and diced herself right down to
          the bone,same area as yours.
          I washed as best I could with water, then iodine then wrapped in
          nitro tightly because all the insides would pop out when ever I
          cleaned it and like yours there was nothing there to sew.
          1) I had to keep mine wrapped for months , everytime I tried to leave
          the wrap off it would pop open.
          2)continue with antibiotics til you see no more flesh and even then I
          would continue but just a lighter coating, air is a great healer all
          in its own once past where infection could set in.
          3)once the bandage is off you could go to bag balm, it is an
          antiseptic and will keep it moist so it doesnt chap.
          I put mine on sulfa because I wasnt absolutely sure it was ice and
          she ran a low grade fever which in turn I cut her feed a bit because
          she wasnt moving as much so I didnt want to cause a colic.
          This is my experience and my opinion I am not a vet.
          By the way, I didnt end up with proud flesh and there is very little
          scarring :) Dermagel and wonder dust , gotta love the stuff:)
          Take Care, Liza

          --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Huskey"
          <huskey@...> wrote:

          > I have a broodmare who had a nasty scar on the front shin of a hind
          leg.
          > Stupid me stalled her in a space where I had cut a small cat door
          years ago and didn't think to cover it before making it a stall. Of
          course that's where she stuck her leg, the one with the scar. 2 days
          before I was to deliver her to her new owner.
          > The wound was deep and nasty, could not be sew, nothing left to sew
          back together. Vet came, cleaned and wrapped with furacin (sp?) This
          was 3 weeks ago. I have been changing the bandage evry few days and
          using triple antibiotic ointment. The wound looks great, never any
          infection, never went lame !!
          > It has grown proud flesh to fill in the hole and is under control.
          Now here's my questions.
          > 1. How long do I keep it wrapped ?
          > 2. How long do I continue with triple antibiotic ?
          > 3. What would I change to med/ointment wise ? cold weather so no
          flies but cold enough to get chapped.

          > The old scar was ugly, looked like it wasn't cared for well, ragged
          looking. Will the new flesh growth heal better since this wound is
          being cared for ?

          > I have a pic of it when it happened, after the vet cleaned it but
          before she wrapped it. I am due for a bandage change tomorrow and
          will take another pic. Anyone interested in seeing it ?

          > Sharon

        • Tavia Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2006
            Liza,

             What are dermagel and wonder dust? Ive never heard of them. When do you start treating with this stuff? I bought a stud colt at an auction over the weekend and he has opened an old wound that looks like he almost lost his entire hoof from. Were wraping with nitro and penicilin shots once a day. Watching to see if the hoof comes off and trying to avoid anymore proud flesh.
             Tavia

          • Sharon Huskey
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2006
              Thanks Liza,
              Dermagel is probably my next move.
              Luckily she never went lame or ran a fever. I had her on SMZ'S and bute the first week but she didn't have any issues and she is in foal so I wanted her off drugs asap.

              Sharon
              I'll keep y'all posted on her progress/with pics

              <huskey@...> wrote:

              > I have a broodmare who had a nasty scar on the front shin of a hind
              leg.
              > Stupid me stalled her in a space where I had cut a small cat door
              years ago and didn't think to cover it before making it a stall. Of
              course that's where she stuck her leg, the one with the scar. 2 days
              before I was to deliver her to her new owner.
              > The wound was deep and nasty, could not be sew, nothing left to sew
              back together. Vet came, cleaned and wrapped with furacin (sp?) This
              was 3 weeks ago. I have been changing the bandage evry few days and
              using triple antibiotic ointment. The wound looks great, never any
              infection, never went lame !!
              > It has grown proud flesh to fill in the hole and is under control.
              Now here's my questions.
              > 1. How long do I keep it wrapped ?
              > 2. How long do I continue with triple antibiotic ?
              > 3. What would I change to med/ointment wise ? cold weather so no
              flies but cold enough to get chapped.

              > The old scar was ugly, looked like it wasn't cared for well, ragged
              looking. Will the new flesh growth heal better since this wound is
              being cared for ?

              > I have a pic of it when it happened, after the vet cleaned it but
              before she wrapped it. I am due for a bandage change tomorrow and
              will take another pic. Anyone interested in seeing it ?

              > Sharon

            • Jill and Nate
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
                Is it true that garden lime does the same as wonder dust?  I have heard lime is great for wounds.
                  Wonder dust is great for preventing proud flesh and if the wound is
                  in an area that is hard to wrap it is perfect.
                  Dermagel is an antiseptic that is great for wounds that are either
                  not that deep or are sealing over and helps promote natural hair
                  color growth.
                  I am horrible at describing..lol
                  Liza

                  --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Tavia Johnson
                  <tavia_j_2001@...> wrote:

                  > Liza,
                  >
                  > What are dermagel and wonder dust? Ive never heard of them. When
                  do you start treating with this stuff? I bought a stud colt at an
                  auction over the weekend and he has opened an old wound that looks
                  like he almost lost his entire hoof from. Were wraping with nitro and
                  penicilin shots once a day. Watching to see if the hoof comes off and
                  trying to avoid anymore proud flesh.
                  > Tavia
                  >
                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful
                  email and get things done faster.

                • Ryle Dittmar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Sharon,
                    Sorry to get in on this discussion late, was out of town.
                    So where is the wound you are treating and what kind of shape is it in
                    now? (It's hard to make reasonable recommendations without good
                    info ;) )

                    Cindy D., RVT