RE: [equineveterinarymedicine] Tetanus antitoxin

  • agfckrowe
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005

      Katherine:

      Can you give me a citation on the article or study or website where I can see this information about liver disease related to tetanus antitoxin? How high was the risk?

      KarenR

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        I found these abstracts on PubMed... They only used a few horses in
        each study, so I don't think they were able to assess a number for
        the risk, its just that they found that it does seem to be linked.
        Maybe a more recent study has been done to assess this. Most of the
        other articles said that this serum hepatitis developed in a small
        number of horses. Basically, most papers recommended using the
        antitoxin only in non-vaccinated horses.

        "Hepatic disease associated with administration of tetanus antitoxin
        in eight horses." Guglick MA, MacAllister CG, Ely RW, Edwards WC.

        "Serum hepatitis in two brood mares." Messer NT 4th, Johnson PJ.

        Andrea
        vet student
        UW SVM class of 2009

        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "agfckrowe"
        <agfckrowe@f...> wrote:

        > Katherine:
        >
        > Can you give me a citation on the article or study or website
        where I
        > can see this information about liver disease related to tetanus
        > antitoxin? How high was the risk?
        >
        > KarenR

        subject=Uns
        > ubscribe>

        > _____

      • agfckrowe
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          Thanks Andrea, I appreciate the info.
          KR

          <agfckrowe@f...> wrote:

          > Katherine:
          >
          > Can you give me a citation on the article or study or website
          where I
          > can see this information about liver disease related to tetanus
          > antitoxin? How high was the risk?
          >
          > KarenR

          subject=Uns
          > ubscribe>

          > _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • horsegal984
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
            Thanks for correcting me, it had been a while and I was trying to
            remember what all I had read, all I could remember for sure was that
            with my guy we vaccinated with the antitoxin and the toxiod, since the
            vaccination records from his previous owner were a little shady. I
            cannot remember now which maunfacturer website I was looking at or I
            would go back and re-read.

            Katherine
            Vet Tech student