Re: newbie-mare w/cut & swelling

  • smith2267
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      This wound is likely contaminated/infected, and that's the reason for
      the swelling. There may not be heat or drainage yet, but I bet there
      will be.
      This wound probably needs to be debrided by a vet--my guess is he'll
      then want to use a systemic antibiotic, and at some point close it.
      It's time to call in a pro.
    • smith2267
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
        Here are some vet school notes on wound management in large animals.
        http://www.hillary.net/school/fall.97/surg/surg.lec.10.15.97
        The swelling of the "knee" (actually the wrist) concerns me a lot. I
        do hope you'll turn the matter over to a vet without wasting any time.
      • smith2267
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
          What follows is part of a conversation I had with a small animal vet
          about your case. She said wounds are wounds, whatever the species--
          treatment is the same initially. This is how to bandage:

          Dr. X:Saline soaked gauze packed next to the wound, with a dry
          cotton/gauze wrap over the top, cover with a regular elasticon wrap.
          Change bandage twice a day, more often if seeps through\
          smith2267: yeah, I told her to go to a dog vet and buy some saline
          Dr.X: shouldn't be hard to get. Water is better than nothing in a
          pinch.
          smith2267: is lavage only done initially, or can it be done
          repeatedly?
          Dr. X: lavage with saline can be repeated at each bandage change.
          it helps to debride the wound

          She said no pressure wrap, although my first inclination was he
          needed one.
          The leg could be in danger--and hence the horse's life. Get vet
          attention as soon as you can.