Temporohyoid Osteoarthropathy and Hyoid Disease

  • lash1225
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hello,
      I was hoping that someone could give me some information about
      THO : Temporohyoid Osteoarthropathy and Hyoid Disease. A friend of
      mine has a 10 year old TB mix gelding that was just recently
      diagnosed with this problem. It was found at a University equine
      hospital when he was admitted after having a severe reaction to
      ingesting pokeweed. Surgery was recommended. What causes this
      problem, and is surgery currative ? What are the dangers of surgery
      besides anesthesia ? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance. Judy
    • smith2267
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
        Otitis media and interna and temporohyoid osteoarthropathy.
        Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 13[1]:21-42 1997 Apr

        Blythe LL
        Otitis media/interna* in the equine most commonly is a chronic,
        insidious infection with the unique sequella of temporohyoid
        osteoarthropathy in some horses. Head shaking may be the only
        clinical sign of the early stages of this disease. The arthritic
        condition often leads to fusion of the temporohyoid joint with
        resultant stress fractures of the petrous temporal bone. When this
        occurs, the horse presents as an acute neurologic case with clinical
        signs of vestibular and facial nerve dysfunction. Diagnosis,
        treatment, and prognosis are discussed. Recognition of this syndrome
        is important because many of these horses can be treated successfully
        and can return to normal function.

        (*middle or inner ear inflammation, typically an ear infection--erik)