arthritis in an 21 yrs old gelding

  • Daniele
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1 1:49 PM
      My daughter's horse has been sore and the vet said he was ate up
      with arthritis. I have started with the legend injections one each
      week for 3 wks and I started to add missing link with Glucosamine. I
      was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.

      Thanks,
      Daniele
      vet tech student
    • Ellen van der Laan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1 5:15 PM
        My only problem with Missing Link is the high content of carbohydrates
        (sugar) therein.

        Talk to your veterinarian about adding a product containing
        Cetyl-Myristolate as well as Glucosamine to your therapy regimen. I
        have had good success with this in my practice. Another thing to make
        sure is that your horse will get as much exercise as he can safely
        handle. Once you start cutting back on their movement, they tend to go
        downhill much faster.

        Of course, I am a great fan of acupuncture and chinese herbs in cases
        like this. Check and see if there is an accredited veterinarian in your
        area who offers these services.

        Good luck!

        ~ Ellen

        Ellen van der Laan, D.V.M.
        The Ark Holistic Veterinary Care
        5240 Garton Road
        Castle Rock, CO 80104
        http://www.arkholisticvet.com

        On Sep 1, 2004, at 2:49 PM, Daniele wrote:

        > My daughter's horse has been sore and the vet said he was ate up
        > with arthritis. I have started with the legend injections one each
        > week for 3 wks and I started to add missing link with Glucosamine. I
        > was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Daniele
        > vet tech student
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • rogo16
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1 8:53 PM
          > My daughter's horse has been sore and the vet said he was ate up
          > with arthritis. I have started with the legend injections one each
          > week for 3 wks and I started to add missing link with Glucosamine. I
          > was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.

          Howdy folks. Sorry to hear about this horse.
          Perhaps you could try 'Senior.' The feed is put out by several companies. It's a complete feed for the older horse. The feed also has Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Your horse isn't really old yet, but perhaps this feed will help. I'm told it's less costly than buying the Gucosamine/Chondroitin separately.

          Doing tough mountain rides with 3 friends who had horses in their 30's makes 'Senior' quite convincing. Those equines are well filled out and muscled. They look like youngsters and really move.

          I had an old mule years ago that led a pretty rough life with her previous owner. Her arthritis got so bad she'd plant herself in one spot for the day. (My stock were on 40 acres of mountains and flats at the time.) I tried an old indian remedy. I stripped some copper wire and put the copper 'bracelets' on all 4 legs above the pastern. Tight enough to stay on but loose enough not to stop circulation. A couple of days later she was back to her old self.

          Now you know it couldn't be mental with a critter. 'Oh, I feel so much better with my pretty jewelry on!' -LOL-

          ~Rogo
        • Daniele
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9 6:52 PM
            --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "rogo16"
            <rogo16@w...> wrote:

            > > My daughter's horse has been sore and the vet said he was ate
            up
            > > with arthritis. I have started with the legend injections one
            each
            > > week for 3 wks and I started to add missing link with
            Glucosamine. I
            > > was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.

            I was wondering since he trips over his one foot that is turned
            in a little should I have the farrier kind of square the toe? I'm
            looking for the Cetyl-myristolate but don't see it in any
            supplements to add to his diet.Is it something you have to get from
            a vet? I changed from missing link to a liquid glucosamine
            supplement its 2500mg per day.
          • C
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10 12:08 AM
              You could try adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to his drinking water.  That has helped with arthritis for people and animals.

              It also stops the mosquitoes from breeding in the water.  Flies don't like it either.

              Carrie
              Not a vet
              > >    My daughter's horse has been sore and the vet said he was ate
              up
              > > with arthritis. I have started with the legend injections one
              each
              > > week for 3 wks and I started to add missing link with
              Glucosamine. I
              > > was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.

                 I was wondering since he trips over his one foot that is turned
              in a little should I have the farrier kind of square the toe? I'm
              looking for the Cetyl-myristolate but don't see it in any
              supplements to add to his diet.Is it something you have to get from
              a vet? I changed from missing link to a liquid glucosamine
              supplement its 2500mg per day.

            • Jumpinhorsesinbailey
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10 10:03 PM
                Hi, I would try to make sure your horse is well trimmed, he should not trip on any toe.  There are many good books to buy and helpfull groups on yahoo to join.  Thanks, Linnie
                <rogo16@w...> wrote:

                > >    My daughter's horse has been sore and the vet said he was ate
                up
                > > with arthritis. I have started with the legend injections one
                each
                > > week for 3 wks and I started to add missing link with
                Glucosamine. I
                > > was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions.

                   I was wondering since he trips over his one foot that is turned
                in a little should I have the farrier kind of square the toe? I'm
                looking for the Cetyl-myristolate but don't see it in any
                supplements to add to his diet.Is it something you have to get from
                a vet? I changed from missing link to a liquid glucosamine
                supplement its 2500mg per day.

                Do you Yahoo!?