Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Re: Antihistamines

  • C
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 31 9:35 PM
      I only know what horse people have told me who use Flaxseed.  They grind it up in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it over the horse feed during the spring weeks when the horse is losing its winter coat.  It helps them to shed faster and better.

      But every single one of them have said they only do it for a few weeks because it's too rough on the liver of the horse.  It damages the liver if given too long a time.  That is what they have all told me.  I'm not a vet and frankly I don't know whether regular vets have really dealt with this issue and know that much about it.
      I just know what long time horse people have told me, and they all seem to agree about this.
      But there are other sources of Omega 3.
      Flaxseed is just one source.
      There are oils that are high in Omega 3 and some foods too.
      Myself , I use Salmon Oil for ME.
      Wonder if that would be also good for a horse ???
      You'd need to ask a holistic vet because they specialize in these things.
      We have one on this list.
      Guess they have not seen this question yet, to join in.
      Ellen - - are you out there ???
      We need your expertise.

      Carrie
      Fl
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 9, 2004
        > WHAT ABOUT FEEDING CORN OIL TO HORSES INSTEAD OF FLAX?

        Corn oil is high in omega 6 which are pro-inflammatory, and feedinmg a lot
        of oil causes insulin resistance. I would stick to an ounce or two of flax
        which is high in omega 3, same as grass.

        Jackie