Serious suspensory injury

  • rivermistfarm
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hello,
      I am new here. I own and operate a farm in Elkton MD, and am
      involved in breeeding and training horses for the hunter/ jumper
      shows. I also do alot of work with off the track horses. I was given
      a stallion this weekend who is in need of serious help and while I am
      of course going to contact my vet, I am also researching his
      condition online. I am very curious about opinions on the extent
      that a horse can recover from a serious suspensory injury.

      A little background on the horse- he is a nine year old 17.1 h TB who
      had a very successful career on the track until 2001. He was reitred
      in 2001 and was to stand at stud in 2002. Somehow, he made it back to
      the track this Sept. I saw him run the last weekend in Sept. and he
      looked like he was struggling. The trainer however ran him again just
      two weeks later, and he broke down. This last race was Oct 11th.

      I went to see the horse on Sat. and took pictures (which I would be
      glad to post if someone can tell me how!) His rught ankle is dropped
      about halfway, and there is a good deal of swelling through the whole
      leg. The trainer told me that he did have a metal brace on the horse
      until last week, but removed it because it was putting so much
      pressure on the front of his leg that he had a large sore. He is now
      using cotton wraps with vet wrap and ace bandages to support the leg,
      but during the day, they stretch and it drops again.

      Does anyone have suggestions for me on where I can research severe
      suspensory injuries, or any ideas on the best method of treatment for
      this guy? I realize that he will most likely not be rideable, but
      would like to help him as much as possible and at least have him be
      comfortable.

      Thanks in advance for your help
      Kristen
    • Ellen van der Laan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        Your best bet would be to get a hold of a veterinarian who has access to a
        shock wave therapy unit. First of all though, have xrays and an ultrasound
        done of the affected area to evaluate the extent of the injury. I have had
        excellent results with the shock wave, but the prognosis is of course
        dependent upon the magnitude of the lesion. If it is as bad as you describe
        it, he may not be rideable, but maybe he'll be sound enough to stand at
        stud.

        Good luck.
        >>Ellen<<
        Ellen van der Laan, D.V.M.