Re: Chemotherapy and TF

  • Lorri Roush Shaver
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2012
      Forgive me for being late to the game, but what is TF?

      Lorri

      --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Mac Barksdale
      <skyranger32792@...> wrote:

      > Someone asked whether TF acts counter to Chemotherapy. The short
      answer is NO.

      > As most people realize, the majority of chemotherapeutic agents do in
      fact suppress the immune system. In fact many times chemotherapy has
      to be delayed or the proper dose reduced in order to give time for the
      immune system to recover from the suppression.

      > TF given with Chemotherapy supports the immune system and allows that
      therapy to be administered ON dose and ON schedule. That alone is a
      big help ! Thus it can be stated that TF acts adjunctively to
      chemotherapy. In short TF makes it work better.

      > Secondly, TF supports the patient as a whole. It helps maintain a
      good mental attitude and sense of well being. This is very important
      for people as well as horses. Appetite remains better and a more normal
      living continues thru the chemotherapy.

      > Thirdly, TF works at a cellular level. [there are literally
      thousands of transfer factors, not just one.] [And our TF is an array of
      these "messenger molecules" use by the immune system to communicate with
      the somatic cells, body cells] Further in neoplasia [literally new
      tissue] cancer... TF supports and helps the immune system in its
      normal job of eliminating aberrant cells. That is cells that are not
      normal. Those that the immune system "sees" or perceives as not normal.
      So TF along with the chemotherapy helps eliminate cancer from the body.

      > There are other actions as well but these are the main ones at work in
      eliminating cancer.

      > That second reason may be more important than we realize in Equine
      medicine. I hear Equine Practitioners speak of certain horses that
      "give up" early in a condition. And others that continue to "fight" to
      return to health. In addition observation in people as well as horses
      indicates that mental attitude helps maintain appetite and sense of well
      being.

      > When TF is used in PPID [so called Equine Cushing's] very often or
      almost always the very first comment I receive from an owner is "he is
      his old self! !" "He is acting like he did 2 years ago!" Or
      something similar... and very often this is in only a few days or a
      week after beginning TF.

      > Incidentally TF actually eliminates PPID, rather than just controlling
      the symptoms. We have only used TF a few years. Thus we do not have a
      long term follow up on a lot of cases. My personal theory is that there
      is an autoimmune component to PPID. More about that later...