Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Strangles IN & Blindness ???-- LONG

  • ridewiz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      In a message dated 5/1/03 12:04:18 AM Central Daylight Time, texas_dixie_rebel@... writes:

      Have any CNS tests been done?  Are there any idications of spinal cord swelling or brain swelling?

      I'm waiting for the U of MN to find a time slot for me to get my horse in, for the spinal tap.  A EPM blood test was done, it came back with "very low exposure rate" and the Vet believes it's a false positive. Raven
    • Pam Hunt
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2003
        blood tests for EPM are very ineffective.  I have had many horses that will test positive in blood but negative in spinal.  Because of the overwhelming rodent population the the southern US, southern bred horses tend to always test positive regardless if they in fact are.

        ridewiz@... wrote:
        In a message dated 5/1/03 12:04:18 AM Central Daylight Time, texas_dixie_rebel@... writes:

        Have any CNS tests been done?  Are there any idications of spinal cord swelling or brain swelling?

        I'm waiting for the U of MN to find a time slot for me to get my horse in, for the spinal tap.  A EPM blood test was done, it came back with "very low exposure rate" and the Vet believes it's a false positive. Raven

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • erik smith
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2003
          >BUT....my gut is telling me that it is the Strangles
          > vaccination IS causing Wizard's blindness.

          I'm with your vets. I've never heard of this.

          > My question to this list, is have any of you ever heard of any
          adverse
          > reactions to the Pinnacle IN Strangles vaccination?

          I've heard anecdotal reports of it causing strangles in foals.

          And/or what do you think
          > may be causing the swelling/inflamation??

          Don't know.

          > Earth
        • erik smith
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2003
            --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Pam Hunt
            <texas_dixie_rebel@y...> wrote:
            > Have any CNS tests been done? Are there any idications of spinal
            >cord swelling

            Which would cause blindness how? (taps foot)
          • erik smith
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2003
              EPM can do some oddball things, and mimic other neuro conditions. But
              I can't find any mention of it causing blindness. It certainly isn't
              one of the classic signs.
            • cowgirlwithgoldspurz
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2003
                I have a Qh that has had a reaction to yearly vaccinations. Runny
                nose, starting clear turning a little thick and white and lots of eye
                discharge. The first year this happened we had a border borrow my
                back up water bucket for the horse they had just purchased my equine
                Vet was out of town his partner gave me sulfa? powder (I can't
                remember) any way it cleared up fine. The second year a week or so
                after vaccinations it happened again my equine Vet wanted me to wait
                it out, he felt like it may be a reaction to the Vaccinations and the
                horses immune system would take care of it. It seemed to do just
                that. This horse has also had Epm. Thinking back maybe the Epm caused
                a weakened immune system, which allowed the reaction?? Epm is such a
                horrible disease. It seems to have classic symptoms that are the same
                as many other illnesses. I have read about several horses that had
                Epm becoming blind in one eye, I also remember them having classic
                symptoms as well. So many times horses are diagnosed with Epm as a
                catchall. The spinal should show you the answer. If it is
                contaminated with blood it will show a False negative and as
                mentioned in another post allot of horses will show positive in blood
                tests but never suffer from the disease. If this were my horse I
                would look for the signs of Epm; muscle loss on one side, toe
                dragging, gait imperfections that were not there before, balance
                problems (walking the horse on a lead quickly while someone else
                pulls the tail rather forcefully to the left or right a horse
                effected has been known to actually fall from this beware). I am
                telling you details of my experiences please listen to your Vet I am
                only a devoted horse owner. I do believe in being educated on the
                possible illnesses for the simple fact you are your horses advocate
                and it is your money being spent, as Epm drugs are terribly expensive
                and all you really want to treat is the problem.
                --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, ridewiz@a... wrote:
                > Hello List Members,
                >
                > I just joined this list in hopes of helping my beloved horse
                Wizard. Wizard
                > is a 15 year old TWH gelding, who came into the barn on
                4/14/2003....blind in
                > his right eye. OUT OF THE BLUE!
                >
                > On March 27, 2003, my Vet gave Wizard a Fort Dodge Pinnacle IN
                Strangles
                > vaccination and a Fort Dodge Rabies vaccination.   A few days
                later, Wizard
                > had a bit of a runny nose, but no temp. I did called my Vet's
                office and was
                > told by the Vet Tech that it was a slight common reaction to the
                strangles
                > vaccination ... not to worry about it. A few days later, the runny
                nose
                > continued and the boogers were a bit greenish. BTW...he never ran a
                fever.

                > On April 14, 2003 he walked into my barn ......blind in the right
                eye. I
                > called my Vet who confirmed that Wizard was indeed blind. Wizard
                has had no
                > head or eye trauma, what so ever! NONE!
                >
                > On April 17, 2003 I took Wizard to the U of MN Clinic, he was
                examined by the
                > U's
                > Ophthalmologist...who BTW....also has no idea what could be causing
                the
                > blindness. Wizard's eyes are perfect and normal, his retinas were
                tested, and
                > they are fine. The U of MN Vet believes that there is some sort of
                swelling
                > or inflammation putting pressure on Wizard's optic nerve.
                >
                > HELP.... WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THE SWELLING/INFLAMATION ???
                >
                > I have asked my Vet, her partner and the U of MN Vet if the Fort
                Dodge
                > Pinnacle IN Strangles vaccination could be the cause of the
                blindness and
                > they both said no. BUT....my gut is telling me that it is the
                Strangles
                > vaccination IS causing Wizard's blindness.
                >
                > My question to this list, is have any of you ever heard of any
                adverse
                > reactions to the Pinnacle IN Strangles vaccination? And/or what do
                you think
                > may be causing the swelling/inflamation?? Thank you so much for
                your help!
                > Raven, the Girl Doggies and the Boys in the Barn
                > Ravenwood Stable, in the heart of beautiful Western Wisconsin, USA,
                Planet