Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Mare w/ PSSM

  • Julie Turner
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 14, 2011
      Hi Lori
      I have a horse that has a lot of what your horse has.
      He is a rescue Clydesdale. He is limp in the back end, leans a lot, is very nervous & moves in circles to get away quickly. He has had spasms & sometimes you would think he had colic.
      Anyway, sometimes he is good. I did a lot of different feed dietsthe best for him so far is a higher fat diet .
      Soy bean fat
      Luceren (alfalfa)

      I would be interested to see or hear more about your horse.

      Juli

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
        Julie,

        Sounds like classic ESPM/PSSM symptoms. I'm guessing you may already know that due to his diet change. Have you had a DNA test done on him? If you haven't already found the info, you can search Dr Valentine who specializes in the draft form and/or Dr Valberg who found the genetic mutation.

        My mare tested positive for PSSM and has many of the behavioral aspects of the disease but it also appears that she is having seizures. She was negative for HYPP (QH disease). Organ functions are fine and Lyme came back negative. We are waiting on a few other tests. Next step is a neurologist.

        Tracey

        --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Julie Turner <jewels12282000@...> wrote:

        > Hi Lori
        > I have a horse that has a lot of what your horse has.
        > He is a rescue Clydesdale. He is limp in the back end, leans a lot, is very nervous & moves in circles to get away quickly. He has had spasms & sometimes you would think he had colic.
        > Anyway, sometimes he is good. I did a lot of different feed dietsthe best for him so far is a higher fat diet .
        > Soy bean fat
        > Luceren (alfalfa)
        >
        > I would be interested to see or hear more about your horse.
        >
        > Juli

      • Kristy Kenyon
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 16, 2011
          Juli ,
          You need to read Dr.Beth Valentines Special diet for drafts and others with these problems. She is a vet in Corvallis oregon.
          here is a link:
          http://www.draftresource.com/EPSM/Draft_EPSM.html
          best,
          kristy
        • tracey griswold
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 19, 2011
            Update...We finally were able to film one of my mare's episodes and showed it to the vet.  He said they are seizures.  We were able to capture the facial spasms.  I am sending her to New Bolton in PA on Monday for a neuro work up.  I will update everyone on the outcome.

            Tracey
          • warmbloedfarms
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 20, 2011
              I am sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. This is not a good thing unfortunately. It makes sense your vet already figured there wad more going on then prior test results. I have seen horses that seizure and they would also fall down. It seems they know its coming, a bit beforehand and "get ready" for it. As you described she gets a scared look in her eyes... I wish you the strenght you will need to deal with this and be able to follow through with their recommendations.
              Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network
            • tracey griswold
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 20, 2011
                Thank you.

                I am sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. This is not a good thing unfortunately. It makes sense your vet already figured there wad more going on then prior test results. I have seen horses that seizure and they would also fall down. It seems they know its coming, a bit beforehand and "get ready" for it. As you described she gets a scared look in her eyes... I wish you the strenght you will need to deal with this and be able to follow through with their recommendations.
                Sent from my BlackBerry® on the MetroPCS Network

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    equineveterinarymedicine-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    equineveterinarymedicine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • tracey
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2 11:27 AM
                  Update. My mare is being treated for idiopathic epilepsy. They were able to record more seizures. The type of seizures that she has are petit mal seizures. Her spinal fluid came back clear. I did not have them do a MRI. She is on Phenobarbital and so far we haven't seen any more seizures. They will monitor her levels in about a week and make any adjustments necessary. If she goes 6 months without any activity I will be able to ride her again. So for as many things that this could have been I believe I was given the best outcome.

                  Thank you everyone for your support and input.

                  Tracey