Question on 2 serious afflictions my horse might have

  • Beltbuckle6062@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2010
    Yesterday had the vet out to look at my Belgian April, she had what i thought was a fungus or allergic reaction to weeds, started early last year I would put creams on it (various types) and it would go away then come right back, the last few months she has gotten a lot worse about us touching her nose.   She has gotten little scabs on her muzzle and she has been scratching her nose in the cedar trees which is tearing up her muzzle plus she has a tumor that has grown quite large, the vet called it a raquetball sized tumor.
    I had thought she had Sarcoids from what I could see, but he said this is not sarcoids but one of two things

    First could be Phycomycosis (Swamp Cancer) untreatable, we will have to put her down???
    Second is Squamous cell Carcinoma (depending on how far the cancer has spread (the fingers) she would have to have laser surgery to remove it plus most of her nose, if it has spread into her gumline or lips quality of life would be very poor.  He noted her Lymphnode (spelling) is swollen on the same side the tumor is. Cost for this type of surgery could go way higher than $1000.00 and I of course am not rich..

    Yesterday my vet did a biopsy and it is being sent to Texas A&M pending results.

    I would like to hear your opinions on treatments for either of these, I'm also attaching pictures of her muzzle, some of it is dried blood and nacrotic tissue but you can see the tumor.

    Thank you for opinions and suggestions (all are welcome)

    April is a 9 year old mare about 2000#, not losing weight, alert and loving.

    Kim

    Kimberly & Marshall Wright
    3W Ranch Draft Horses & Private Rescue
    Greenville, Texas
    www.wrights3wranch.com

  • Kelly
    Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2010

      Hi Kim,

      I did a search on Phycomycosis and came up with pythiosis.  I haven’t seen it the way you are describing it.  Course I have only seen 4 horses with it.  3 of these horses were at a vets practice in Plant City Florida and they all bet it.  The other horse did make it and went on to have a great life.  You can see Raz’s story at this website http://www.saddleuptack.com/Raz.htm  Anyone afraid of blood and nasty wounds don’t go and look.  There is a vaccine for Pythiosis now.  That is one of the things the vet in Plant City did use to heal the horses.

      I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that what ever your horse has it is treatable.  Please let us know what the diagnosis is.

      Warm regards,

      Kelly Hall, PBHT III

      www.happyhoofpads.com

      Therapeutic Hoof Pads for all your hoof lameness needs.