Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Fwd: LAST CALL ~ Another Chance for Cloud and his Herd???

  • sydeshowbob
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
      I called and emailed a few times yesterday and did the same today.  I cannot describe the way this makes me feel.  As catastrophic as this would be to the horses and to we as humans should make people realize the imbalance... but then again.. most people shook off the deaths of 9/11 shortly after as well. This is a shame and i only hope it can be stopped.

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 2, 2009
        it is sick that anyone could ever dream of such a mass killling of god's creatures
        Lindsay Woodcock

[...]

        Thank you everyone : )  Lucille

      • sheilakobs
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
          It does not say a word about "mass killings". It says......

          Out of the 190 horses that are gathered, 70 will be put up for
          > adoption at the BLM's facilities at Britton Springs, Wyo., just
          > south of the horse range.
          The other 120 horses will be released back to the range.

          What makes this herd more important than the other 63,000+ mustangs
          running free? Mustangs are NOT and endangered species. Can't we direct
          our attention to an animal that is endangered?
          Sheila

          --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Lindsay Woodcock <cometchic08@...> wrote:

          > it is sick that anyone could ever dream of such a mass killling of god's creatures
          > Lindsay Woodcock
          >

          > ________________________________

        • sydeshowbob
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
            I can see what you mean - I think what bothers me most about this is the possibility that folks are making a dime off of these types of activities. My personal belief is that we should live in harmony and i do believe that we are not more important than the animals nor are they more important than us. It should be a balance made of living with and not taking more than we need. we all try the best we can to do that - but there is more to this than "keeping a healthy population" Its about control and money. make no mistake. But this planet and its inhabitants are much bigger than us. When it gets tired of the greed and pillaging.. it will surely cleanse itself of the dis- ease... and hopefully next time around i wont come back as a pony ready to get yanked away from its home...

            It does not say a word about "mass killings". It says......

            Out of the 190 horses that are gathered, 70 will be put up for
            > adoption at the BLM's facilities at Britton Springs, Wyo., just
            > south of the horse range.
            The other 120 horses will be released back to the range.

            What makes this herd more important than the other 63,000+ mustangs
            running free? Mustangs are NOT and endangered species. Can't we direct
            our attention to an animal that is endangered?
            Sheila

            --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, Lindsay Woodcock <cometchic08@...> wrote:

            > it is sick that anyone could ever dream of such a mass killling of god's creatures
            > Lindsay Woodcock
            >

            > ________________________________

          • SUSAN
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
              They sell these horses at aucton for 125 or so, dont you think the kill buyers are ther???

              I can see what you mean - I think what bothers me most about this is the possibility that folks are making a dime off of these types of activities. My personal belief is that we should live in harmony and i do believe that we are not more important than the animals nor are they more important than us. It should be a balance made of living with and not taking more than we need. we all try the best we can to do that - but there is more to this than "keeping a healthy population" Its about control and money. make no mistake. But this planet and its inhabitants are much bigger than us. When it gets tired of the greed and pillaging.. it will surely cleanse itself of the dis- ease... and hopefully next time around i wont come back as a pony ready to get yanked away from its home...

              It does not say a word about "mass killings". It says......

              Out of the 190 horses that are gathered, 70 will be put up for
              > adoption at the BLM's facilities at Britton Springs, Wyo., just
              > south of the horse range.
              The other 120 horses will be released back to the range.

              What makes this herd more important than the other 63,000+ mustangs
              running free? Mustangs are NOT and endangered species. Can't we direct
              our attention to an animal that is endangered?
              Sheila

              --- In equineveterinarymed icine@yahoogroup s.com, Lindsay Woodcock <cometchic08@ ...> wrote:

              > it is sick that anyone could ever dream of such a mass killling of god's creatures
              > Lindsay Woodcock
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Melissa Henrich
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009

                I was asked by a person if there is a way to tell if a mare is pregnant without having to call a vet out for a vet visit.   I have been around horses my whole life but have no idea on the breeding aspect of horses as I don't breed them I just buy colts.
                Does anyone know if there is a way to tell without a vet visit?
                Melissa
              • Tanya R Geiger
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                  Yes!  unfortunately most people see humans as more important and we are the biggest destroyers of the earth, using more natural resources tahn any other animal ... and we the people try to control the population growth of other species when we the people need to get our population under control in order to stop the human encroachment onto land that should be set aside for other species.  I think it is our human population that is one of the major causes of decisions being made to cut back on land and use of all other species all around the world.  I know it sounds harsh but it is what I unfortunately believe will ruin the beautiful World and natural habitat as we know it today... Stop the human population growth and the other things are not nearly as likely to be destroyed.... we spay, neuter, implant and cause other animals to abort yet there are people that keep having more and more children that the rest of society has to pay for... maybe they should offer payment for people to Not reproduce and tax those that have more tax their fair share, more than they can afford.
                  I am sorry but this is my opinion at this time, I hope you don't all hate me but think about it - really think about it!

                • Darci Schuppan
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                    Melissa,

                    If you have access to a stallion you can tease the mare to she if she comes in.  But this is not always reliable because some mares will show even after they are pregnant.  They do have some pregnancy test that you can purchase but I think they have to be done within a certain time period.

                    If the mare is far enough along the ole timers would say to put them up at night and not give them water and in the morning let them drink nice cool water and that will make the baby move.

                    Or you can try the nail test.  Take a nail and attach it to a piece of thread (I usually use a tail hair because it is close) then hold it over the flank of the mare.  If it moves back and forth they are pregnant with a colt if it moves in circles they are pregnant with a filly.  I have used this myself several times.  :)  It is only about 80% correct on the sex.  The only time it would come up wrong is if the mare is pooling large amounts of fluid.

                    Darci
                    Brush Creek Curly Horses
                    Smooth Coated Curly Horses
                    Brush Creek Curly Blog

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                      When BLM sells horses at auction you have to have an application approved ahead of time and the horse is not actually yours until after a year and the BLM asks for a vet or certified person to check the mustang over before giving over complete ownership.

                      Darci
                      Brush Creek Curly Horses
                      Smooth Coated Curly Horses
                      Brush Creek Curly Blog

                      target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.rahall. house.gov/ index.cfm? sectionid= 9&sectiontree= 9

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                        Right there with ya Tanya..

                        namaste - love and light

                        It does not say a word about "mass killings". It says......

                        Out of the 190 horses that are gathered, 70 will be put up for
                        > adoption at the BLM's facilities at Britton Springs, Wyo., just
                        > south of the horse range.
                        The other 120 horses will be released back to the range.

                        What makes this herd more important than the other 63,000+ mustangs
                        running free? Mustangs are NOT and endangered species. Can't we direct
                        our attention to an animal that is endangered?
                        Sheila

                        --- In equineveterinarymed icine@yahoogroup s.com, Lindsay Woodcock <cometchic08@ ...> wrote:

                        > it is sick that anyone could ever dream of such a mass killling of god's creatures
                        > Lindsay Woodcock
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Mohamed Said
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                          Dear Darci,
                          please i need a more explain for the third method you listed "nail test"

                          I was asked by a person if there is a way to tell if a mare is pregnant without having to call a vet out for a vet visit.   I have been around horses my whole life but have no idea on the breeding aspect of horses as I don't breed them I just buy colts.
                          Does anyone know if there is a way to tell without a vet visit?
                          Melissa

                        • canaanland96
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                            The only way I know is to Palpat them. They do have a mare pregnacy test now I heard, but I haven't tried one. Joyce

                            --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Henrich" <rodeogirl@...> wrote:

                            > I was asked by a person if there is a way to tell if a mare is pregnant without having to call a vet out for a vet visit. I have been around horses my whole life but have no idea on the breeding aspect of horses as I don't breed them I just buy colts.
                            > Does anyone know if there is a way to tell without a vet visit?
                            > Melissa

                          • Mohamed Said
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                              Dear all
                              I dont prefer Rectal Palpation in equine particulary, because of its Diffused Placenta, So abortion is of high incidence after hard or firm palpation, if no other way,  Ultra Sonography is wide used and more realble nowaday

                              The only way I know is to Palpat them. They do have a mare pregnacy test now I heard, but I haven't tried one. Joyce

                              --- In equineveterinarymed icine@yahoogroup s.com, "Melissa Henrich" <rodeogirl@. ..> wrote:

                              > I was asked by a person if there is a way to tell if a mare is pregnant without having to call a vet out for a vet visit. I have been around horses my whole life but have no idea on the breeding aspect of horses as I don't breed them I just buy colts.
                              > Does anyone know if there is a way to tell without a vet visit?
                              > Melissa

                            • sydeshowbob
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                                We had the same problem where we though my mare was PG... but after much research and talking around - there is really no "guaranteed way" to know unless you Palpate. So when she started Heaving we took her in and the vet checked her out and told us the same thing - you gotta Palpate to be sure.

                                The only way I know is to Palpat them. They do have a mare pregnacy test now I heard, but I haven't tried one. Joyce

                                --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Henrich" <rodeogirl@...> wrote:

                                > I was asked by a person if there is a way to tell if a mare is pregnant without having to call a vet out for a vet visit. I have been around horses my whole life but have no idea on the breeding aspect of horses as I don't breed them I just buy colts.
                                > Does anyone know if there is a way to tell without a vet visit?
                                > Melissa

                              • Kate Uphold
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                                  As far as I'm aware, the only way to ultrasound a mare is rectally, so either way the vet is going to have to palpate the mare.

                                  --
                                  If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain
                                • Tanya R Geiger
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 7, 2009
                                    Thank you it is good to know I am not alone.  It just seems pointless to fight so hard to save things that will have no place to go.  Not enough of what they need to survive... because our human population needs more and more of everything.

                                    I wish more people would really, REALLY look at the BIG picture.  If the human population was more controlled we wouldn't be dumping so much waste into the ocean, we wouldn't be cutting down so many forests for housing, roads, timber, land to graze livestock...etc.  We wouldn't have so many people sitting in traffic for hours just to get to work-using up more gas, polluting the air, possibly creating global warming (I know that is debatable by many... but it seems to be worse every year with more storms in more places that didn't have so many before).   I could go on and on, I wish someone in power would step up and do something .... maybe give free health care to those that get vasectomies and historectomies - or at least have subsidies to do the procedures for free.  People don't need to have so many children now like they did back when they needed them to work on the farm plus with technology today people are living longer, I am not saying that is bad, but the human population needs to be controlled in some way.

                                    On Sep 4, 2009, at 2:58 PM, wrote:

                                    Right there with ay Tanya..

                                    namesake - love and light

                                    Yes!  unfortunately most people see humans as more important and we are the biggest destroyers of the earth, using more natural resources tahn any other animal ... and we the people try to control the population growth of other species when we the people need to get our population under control in order to stop the human encroachment onto land that should be set aside for other species.  I think it is our human population that is one of the major causes of decisions being made to cut back on land and use of all other species all around the world.  I know it sounds harsh but it is what I unfortunately believe will ruin the beautiful World and natural habitat as we know it today... Stop the human population growth and the other things are not nearly as likely to be destroyed... . we spay, neuter, implant and cause other animals to abort yet there are people that keep having more and more children that the rest of society has to pay for... maybe they should offer payment for people to Not reproduce and tax those that have more than their fair share, more than they can afford.
                                    I am sorry but this is my opinion at this time, I hope you don't all hate me but think about it - really think about it!

                                    .

                                  • SUSAN
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 7, 2009
                                      You are not alone, but there are not enough of us to change the goverment it seems. i regret to tell you they got Cloud.
                                      Susan

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 7, 2009
                                        So sad, so very very sad... has anyone contacted National Geograpic... they should continue on with his story so everyone can learn what really happens to the wild horses.
                                        Tanya
                                        very sad, very very sad ;(

                                        On Sep 7, 2009, at 4:42 PM, SUSAN wrote:

[...]

                                      • Susan Lee
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 8, 2009
                                          Tanya:
                                          I agree with all that you have said. I called congressmen and senators to save Cloud. I have fought for the wolves, elephants, and abused animals. Now in southern Fla.Horses are being slaughtered alive for their meat. Where does it all end. We have become a nation of hateful greedy people. It is really discouraging. But we have to hang in there no matter what.someone has to do the right thing for our animal friends.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          Sue Lee

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 8, 2009
                                            Not that i know of, a good idea

[...]

                                            On Sep 4, 2009, at 2:58 PM, wrote:

                                            Right there with ay Tanya. .

                                            namesake - love and light

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 8, 2009
                                              Wish I had contacts... I hope someone does, and follows his story-his life-what it is like for him, his foals, and his herd mates.

                                              I really think Nat'l Geographic would be interested.  It would be a great story, so many people would LOVE to follow and may strike a heartstring with some that have no idea, and inspire them as well....and I bet BLM and other powers that are currently making decisions would change some of their ways.  I believe the more people that know the real story ...well lets just say the more people fighting for what is right the better chance for Cloud, his herd, and all the others that will possibly endure the same fate someday if something isn't done soon-too bad they were there to film the round up-mares and foals being separated being followed by helicopter, in the Sept heat of 2009.

                                              If anyone has contacts or knows anyone looking for a good movie or story line- here it is- this is something the rest of the world should be made aware of... but it needs to be done in a classy way-not all drama- reality is far better.

                                              On Sep 8, 2009, at 4:05 PM, SUSAN wrote:

                                              Not that i know of, a good idea

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 9, 2009
                                                The nail test-  You take a nail (little finishing nail) (or I have used a ring eg. wedding band) tie it to the end of a long tail hair and then hold it over the mares back right at the flank (right in front of the rump).  Use only two fingers to hold the hair (or your finger may get in the way) if the mare is pregnant the ring/nail will either start to move back and forth or in a circle.  I know it sounds hokey.  LOL  But it really does work.  The first time I did it I thought I had moved the ring on accident so I did it again.  :)  I did it probably once a week for 3 or 4 weeks.  I also did it on mares that were not pregnant just to see if it would move with them.  :)

                                                If I had a pregnant mare on my place right now I would do it and take a video of it.  :)  My next pregnant mare I think I am going to do that.  :)

                                                Darci
                                                Brush Creek Curly Horses
                                                Smooth Coated Curly Horses
                                                Brush Creek Curly Blog

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 10, 2009

                                                  Re: nail test

                                                  this is just too funny, I have to try it.  But I have Belgians  :)  how long does the hair have to be?  I can't get too high above her back.  Well, I can get a step ladder :)

                                                  Does it matter the size of the nail or the make up of the nail?  ( steel, iron, gold ring?)  I will let you know if it works.  I have one mare I know is PG and the other I didn't ultrasound yet.

                                                • Darci Schuppan
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                    The hair does not have to be real long you can also use thread or string.  I don't know if the make up of the nail matters.  I usually use my ring that I wear (which is gold with a small emerald and 2 small diamonds).  I use it because it is always on my finger and I don't have to go get a nail.  :)  I use a tail hair so I don't have to go get a piece of string.  :)

                                                    You want it to only be off her back back about an 1 in. to 1 1/2 inches.  :))  Let me know your results.  :)

                                                    You will be amazed.  I was the first time I tried it.  :)  Remember if it goes in a circle it is supposed to be a girl and if it goes back and forth it is a boy.  :)  This is supposed to be about 80% accurate on telling you the sex also.  :)  I think that is about what it has been for me.  I know it has been wrong on the sex once or twice but has always been correct on weather they were pregnant or not.  :)

                                                    Darci
                                                    Brush Creek Curly Horses
                                                    Smooth Coated Curly Horses
                                                    Brush Creek Curly Blog