Re: Mares

  • kuphold70
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2009
      H Morgan,
      You didn't mention if the swelling was hot or painful to the touch or if she had/has a fever. Will she let you check and clean between her utters? From your description it sounds more like a bug bite and not related to her heat cycle. When horses get bug bites in their groin area or under bellies the edema from the bite drains forward toward their stomachs due to gravity, leaving a large swelling that goes away after a couple of days. If the swelling is not gone in a few more days or if you notice it getting worse you should contact your vet and have them take a look just to make sure.
      Good Luck,
      Kate