Experation dates????

  • tamara dirrim
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
      This topic came up the other day in a conversation I had. It has also come
      up in the past.
      So here is a question to the vet's and or students to answer if you would.
      How old is old.
      In the past I have had banamine paste, and the vet said not to worry to much
      about the expiration date. So here is some of them I question.
      Pennicilian?
      Other Anitbiotics that are given IM.?
      Spring shots in the syringe already or in a 10 dose vial?
      Wormer? "I am sure we all have come across that wormer or two that is a few
      months or so out of date and always wondered, is it still good?" So how
      long after expiration can you still effectively give this stuff.
      How about some of the horse calm paste or electrolyte paste, that you have
      in your first aid kit?
      Powdered bute or the tablets?
      I have some vitamine B12 and B complex? How long is it good?

      I also work at a farm type store, and have wondered on the wormer before.

      Just trying to think of alot of what we might have in our tack rooms.
      If anyone has any others, ad to the list.

      Tamara
      Horse Owner and breeder.
    • Anna Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
        There is no simple answer. While 1 item may be good for only a few days period,the next may be good for a year or more past experation.
        How it was maintained will matter. Was it kept cool,out of direct sunlight,has it been opened (exposed to air) etc. This can reduce usable life.
        As a general rule,efficientcy is lost past the experation date so it may not do any good to use but there are some medications that could become harmful if used.
        Anna

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hi Tamara,

          I once received a short dated vaccination shot and called the retail company and asked about it....this is what I was told:

          Once the product is past the expiration date, it is no longer guaranteed by the manufacturer.  So basically, it's on you as to whether you want to give it, the manufacturer would not be held accountable for any adverse reactions or effectiveness.

          Don't know if this helps any or not.  I have been told the same thing about Banamine, etc.  I suppose as long as you keep it cool, don't let it freeze and don't expose it to sunlight, you might get a little extra life out of it.  With the stuff I've had go on with my horses, I wouldn't chance any of it.  I may be incurring extra costs here....but I also figure that I might be incurring extra costs, or worse, if something happens.....

          This is just my 2 cents.....

          Carrie Bale

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
            This is why I asked the question, I didn't figure it would be an easy answer. I know in the past I have given the wormer when a month or so out of date. With some of the other, Like you, I have erred on the side of caution and made sure of the expiration date, or talked with the vet at the time.
            I have really wondered about the rest of the stuff though, and have thought about posting this question before, but had never gotten around to it.
            Like I said in my first post, I work at a farm store, and we sell wormer and vacines, and so have wondered how good they are for how long.
            Hopefully a few more will chime in on this topic, as I would like to know other opinions also.

            Tamara