Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Hello...new member here

  • gabby moore
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2008
      Lorraine,  As a veterinarian and a woman who has almost 40 years in practice, let me give you a little insight.  The admissions process for women is now much different than it was in the mid to early 60's when I applied.  You do need undergraduate work with a GPA that is well above average.  I would recommend doing the undergrad work at the same school at your vet school.  Since you are in NY state, that would be in Ithaca.  Work done at smaller schools is often not weighted as heavily and can be the reason for not be accepted into the veterinary school.  I would  not advise an equine major.  She needs something substantial in todays job market and a business degree coupled with animal science or education is probably the way to go.  Dr. Moore
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2008
        hello
         I AM NOT A VET , BUT HAVE 50 FRIENDS WHO ARE VETS,
           IT IS HARD TO GET INTO VET SCHOOL , I  THINK THERE ARE  LESS 20 VET SCHOOL, IN THE USA,     MOST GET THERE DEGREE IN SOME TYPE OF
          ANIMAL SCIENCE- THEN TAKE AN EXAM AND APPLY TO VET SCHOOL, I THINK THATS THE PROCESS,   LIKE I SAID YOU MUST DO WELL GPA  WHEN GETTING THE
         UNDERGRAD DEGREE  3.5 AND BETTER AMONG OTHER THINGS
                          THANK YOU
                                             HOPE THIS CAN HELP
         MARIO

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2008
          I would add that riding with/working at a vet clinic is a must! It
          seems experience is weighed pretty heavily in the selection process.
          Getting a lot of good experience is a way to set yourself apart from
          the others applying. A GPA of 3.5 of higher is a good goal to set,
          and the GRE is the required examination for most vet schools.

          She should get involved with clubs like 4-H of FFA at this time, and
          join clubs in her undergrad...becoming an officer in these clubs
          would be a good idea.

          Experience, experience, experience...this is also a good idea for any
          major she may choose as it helps build her resume. Around here,
          there are a lot of animal science, or biology majors...just having a
          degree doesn't mean much anymore, as more and more people go to
          college.

          Andrea
          vet student
          UW SVM Class of 2009

          --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "gabby moore"

        • lorrfu6@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2008
            Dear Dr. Moore,

            Please excuse my referring to you as Gabby!  I wrote a general email and saw your name in the address.  Also, I see that it was you, and not Andrea, even though Andrea made some excellent suggestions) who suggested the double major and excluded the equine studies as optimal.  Thank you very much.

            Lorraine

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2008
              Your daughters are blessed to have a mom that supports their future.  I highly recommend that they take science classes and get the best grades possible.  A's are preferable.  They need to keep as high a GPA as possible.  Reason for this is they can get scholarships and those scholarships are given to the kids with the highest GPAs.  OK so now you need to start looking for available scholarships.  Believe it or not there are some scholarships available that are full ride.  Meaning they pay for everything.  So high grades and the correct scholarships are a good start, and believe me there are female only scholarships out there.  Having 6 children is a challenge but all 6 can get in college if they want to.  Some student loans are out there as well.  So do your research and if the girls want to do this it's great.  Thanks mom for being there for your girls.  And a background in Nursing wouldn't hurt them.  We need nurses more than Veterinarians.  Just the truth.  And there are more scholarchips for Nursing than Veterinarians.   But still I don't want to say for them not to do what they want.

              SRPAINTS
              Home of Call Him Yellow Jr
              2007 Sorrel Overo Stallion
              Lovelock, Nv
            • Beccy Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                Hi Lorraine

                I may be playing devils advocate here but a career with horses doesnt
                necessarily mean getting a degree or becoming a vet, especially if
                money is a bit tight right now. I went from doing A levels at school
                to going to uni and studied equine technology and business. After
                graduating with an honours degree at 21 I then worked very very hard
                as a working pupil at a couple of busy yards and gained my British
                Horse Society qualifications to enable me to ride and teach at a
                certain level. I then worked for the British Army abroad running a
                riding school before returning a few years older and wiser. I then
                presued other animal related careers and can now afford a few horses
                of my own. At 32 i now know what i want to be and will hopefully
                start a masters degree next year in animal manipulation to add to my
                equine massage qualification. I am supported by my husband and to
                some extent my horse mad family and am self employed. But what i
                would liked to have done if i could have been brave enough to go
                against my parents wishes was to become a professional rider. In
                England and in other countries it is possible to work under a
                professional rider from the bottom and work up (if you are dedicated
                and are good enough!). If i hadnt have been good enough to make a
                career out of riding it would have given me a greater insight into
                the industry and more credibility as a horseperson. I dont know
                quite how things work in the US but over here there are many young
                people at college doing professional equine qualifications but
                without the experience of the real horse world and are struggling to
                find employment after graduation. There are opportunities to work in
                the industry, train with professionals and gain qualifications. Dont
                let colleges persuade you to feel that their route is the only one
                and be sure to get as much information as possible before your
                daughter commits herself to a particular career. Even taking a year
                out to work in the industry before going back to college can be
                refreshing and help decision making. And i am sure there will be
                equine vets in the area who will let your daughter shadow them to
                help her decide if it is the right route for her to take. Also
                remember while we all want children to become self sufficient
                financially, rewards from this industry arent always about money.

                Good luck to you and your family and let us know how you get on!

                Beccy Smith (UK)
                www.sporthorsetherapy.co.uk

                --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "sr.marie"
                <lorrfu6@...> wrote:

                > I have joined for the important rider in my life...my sxiteen year
                > old daughter. She and her 14 year old sister both ride and are
                > completely devoted to English riding and hunter jumper pursuits!
                The
                > sixteen year old wants to make a life out of horses and so I'm here
                > to learn more about how she can accomplish that so I can help her
                > dreams come true. She is a very good student and loves science and
                > art. She sometimes talks about being an equine vet. I am in the
                > dark about that profession even though I have read a bit about it.
                > From what I understand we're talking about YEARS of school and
                tough
                > studies. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this
                > process. We live in New York and would have to take advantage of
                > State schools to save money. (We have six kids!!!!)
                >
                > I looked at Centenary College (NJ). It looks amazing but its SO
                > expensive. There is SUNY Morrisville that looks nice too and is
                half
                > the price. Both have Equine Studies majors. I'm thinking that is
                > more reachable goal for her than Vet Medicine. What does one do
                with
                > an Equinse Studies major? Barn management? Trainor?
                >
                > Anyway, I'd love to discuss this over time and learn from you all.
                >
                > Thank you
                > Lorraine, the mom

              • Amanda
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Lorraine,

                  From someone who has been there (heck, still there!) first of all, Dr. Moore was right, tell her not to major in Equine Studies, or even animal science... I know many many people working here (in Central KY) with Ani. Sci. degrees who are cleaning stalls at TB farms, or who have the same job as I do, and I don't have any degree at all (yet).  Next, tell her to work in the field that she wants to study.  Fortunately for me, in KY you don't have to be licensed to work as a Veterinary Technician so I have spent the past four years at a busy equine-only hospital, LOVING the job, but also realizing that a large animal vet is not what I want to be, and I realized this without waiting too long to change my degree path.  If I did choose to continue to pursue vet school, it would have been with several years' experience in the field, and some wonderful recommendations as well!  I don't know what the rule is in New York in regards to Vet. Techs. but I would DEFINATELY suggest this to your daughter.  And best of luck to her!!

                  ~Amanda in KY

                  Re: Hello...new member here From: gabby moore

                  Messages

                  1a.

                  Hello...new member here

                  Posted by: "sr.marie" lorrfu6@...   sr.marie

                  Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:24 pm (PST)

                  I have joined for the important rider in my life...my sxiteen year
                  old daughter. She and her 14 year old sister both ride and are
                  completely devoted to English riding and hunter jumper pursuits! The
                  sixteen year old wants to make a life out of horses and so I'm here
                  to learn more about how she can accomplish that so I can help her
                  dreams come true. She is a very good student and loves science and
                  art. She sometimes talks about being an equine vet. I am in the
                  dark about that profession even though I have read a bit about it.
                  From what I understand we're talking about YEARS of school and tough
                  studies. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this
                  process. We live in New York and would have to take advantage of
                  State schools to save money. (We have six kids!!!!)

                  I looked at Centenary College (NJ). It looks amazing but its SO
                  expensive. There is SUNY Morrisville that looks nice too and is half
                  the price. Both have Equine Studies majors. I'm thinking that is a
                  more reachable goal for her than Vet Medicine. What does one do with
                  an Equinse Studies major? Barn management? Trainor?

                  Anyway, I'd love to discuss this over time and learn from you all.

                  Thank you
                  Lorraine, the mom

                  1b.

                  Re: Hello...new member here

                  Posted by: "gabby moore" horsemor@...   horsemor27

                  Mon Dec 1, 2008 4:28 am (PST)

[...]
                  From what I understand we're talking about YEARS of school and tough
                  studies. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this
                  process. We live in New York and would have to take advantage of
                  State schools to save money. (We have six kids!!!!)

                  I looked at Centenary College (NJ). It looks amazing but its SO
                  expensive. There is SUNY Morrisville that looks nice too and is half
                  the price. Both have Equine Studies majors. I'm thinking that is a
                  more reachable goal for her than Vet Medicine. What does one do with
                  an Equinse Studies major? Barn management? Trainor?

                  Anyway, I'd love to discuss this over time and learn from you all.

                  Thank you
                  Lorraine, the mom

                  Sell Online

                  Start selling with

                  our award-winning

                  e-commerce tools.

                  Yahoo! Groups

                  Going Green Zone

                  Find Green groups.

                  Find Green resources.

                  Best of Y! Groups

                  Check it out

                  and nominate your

                  group to be featured.

                  Need to Reply?

                • leavalfox@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Hi Amanda and Lorraine
                    I am a Lic Vet Tech working at the U of Tn CVM in large animal, and I agree that although I love my job, it didn't take me long to know that I'd never want to go on to Vet School because your job will rule your life in an Equine practice. I love nothing better than foaling out mares, any sort of repro work, working with colics, etc, but I want to be able to leave my job at a specific hour and then go back to it at a specific hour...and you can't do that with horses...I have seen the Vet that I used for years never have children, look totally bedraggled and stressed 90% of the year, and generally seem worn out most of the time, and I know that's not for me. So definitely get your daughter to work in the field and see the reality of the job before she jumps. That may be what she wants to do, but it takes a special person with a special dedication to do it. My hat's off to the Dr Moore's out there. I know she is a special person as are my equine Vets (one of whom just walked in the door just now to go out to see a colicking pony, and it's about 30 degrees here now), but that's the kind of life you sign up for when you become an equine Vet!!
                    --
                    lea and the Foxlea Clan
                    www.Foxleafarm.net

                    -------------- Original message from Amanda <marrengo1@...>: --------------

                    Lorraine,

                    From someone who has been there (heck, still there!) first of all, Dr. Moore was right, tell her not to major in Equine Studies, or even animal science... I know many many people working here (in Central KY) with Ani. Sci. degrees who are cleaning stalls at TB farms, or who have the same job as I do, and I don't have any degree at all (yet).  Next, tell her to work in the field that she wants to study.  Fortunately for me, in KY you don't have to be licensed to work as a Veterinary Technician so I have spent the past four years at a busy equine-only hospital, LOVING the job, but also realizing that a large animal vet is not what I want to be, and I realized this without waiting too long to change my degree path.  If I did choose to continue to pursue vet school, it would have been with several years' experience in the field, and some wonderful recommendations as well!  I don't know what the rule is in New York in regards to Vet. Techs. but I would DEFINATELY suggest this to your daughter.  And best of luck to her!!

                    ~Amanda in KY

                    Re: Hello...new member here From: gabby moore

                    Messages

                    1a.

                    Hello...new member here

                    Posted by: "sr.marie" lorrfu6@aol. com   sr.marie

                    Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:24 pm (PST)

                    I have joined for the important rider in my life...my sxiteen year
                    old daughter. She and her 14 year old sister both ride and are
                    completely devoted to English riding and hunter jumper pursuits! The
                    sixteen year old wants to make a life out of horses and so I'm here
                    to learn more about how she can accomplish that so I can help her
                    dreams come true. She is a very good student and loves science and
                    art. She sometimes talks about being an equine vet. I am in the
                    dark about that profession even though I have read a bit about it.
                    From what I understand we're talking about YEARS of school and tough
                    studies. I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this
                    process. We live in New York and would have to take advantage of
                    State schools to save money. (We have six kids!!!!)

                    I looked at Centenary College (NJ). It looks amazing but its SO
                    expensive. There is SUNY Morrisville that looks nice too and is half
                    the price. Both have Equine Studies majors. I'm thinking that is a
                    more reachable goal for her than Vet Medicine. What does one do with
                    an Equinse Studies major? Barn management? Trainor?

                    Anyway, I'd love to discuss this over time and learn from you all.

                    Thank you
                    Lorraine, the mom

                    1b.

                    Re: Hello...new member here

                    Posted by: "gabby moore" horsemor@fidnet. com   horsemor27

                    Mon Dec 1, 2008 4:28 am (PST)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Life is what you make of it...it doesn't have to be the way you
                      described. In fact, I know several equine veterinarians who have a
                      few children, and still breed/campaign thier own horses (yes, women
                      too). There is no reason to scare people off from a fulfilling
                      career, veterinary medicine is awesome that way. Its becoming a very
                      flexible career as many new grads are putting thier foot down, and
                      know what they want. Not everyone chooses to work in a large
                      referral hospital where there is a large emergency case load, or a
                      race track where your boss is an older man who expects you to work 16
                      hours/day because he did.

                      There are pros and cons to the many different specialities that one
                      can pursue as a DVM, which is the other awesome thing about vet
                      med...Once you have the degree the sky's the limit for whatever
                      avenue you choose to pursue.

                      Andrea
                      vet student
                      UW SVM Class of 2009

                      --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, leavalfox@... wrote:

                      > Hi Amanda and Lorraine
                      > I am a Lic Vet Tech working at the U of Tn CVM in large animal, and
                      I agree that although I love my job, it didn't take me long to know
                      that I'd never want to go on to Vet School because your job will rule
                      your life in an Equine practice. I love nothing better than foaling
                      out mares, any sort of repro work, working with colics, etc, but I
                      want to be able to leave my job at a specific hour and then go back
                      to it at a specific hour...and you can't do that with horses...I have
                      seen the Vet that I used for years never have children, look totally
                      bedraggled and stressed 90% of the year, and generally seem worn out
                      most of the time, and I know that's not for me. So definitely get
                      your daughter to work in the field and see the reality of the job
                      before she jumps. That may be what she wants to do, but it takes a
                      special person with a special dedication to do it. My hat's off to
                      the Dr Moore's out there. I know she is a special person as are my
                      equine Vets (one of whom just walked in the door just now to go out
                      to see a colicking pony, and it's about 30 degrees here now), but
                      that's the kind of life you sign up for when you become an equine
                      Vet!!
                      > --
                      > lea and the Foxlea Clan
                      > www.Foxleafarm.net
                      >
                      > -------------- Original message from Amanda <marrengo1@...>: -------
                      -------

                      > Lorraine,
                      >
                      > From someone who has been there (heck, still there!) first of all,
                      Dr. Moore was right, tell her not to major in Equine Studies, or even
                      animal science... I know many many people working here (in Central
                      KY) with Ani. Sci. degrees who are cleaning stalls at TB farms, or
                      who have the same job as I do, and I don't have any degree at all
                      (yet). Next, tell her to work in the field that she wants to study.
                      Fortunately for me, in KY you don't have to be licensed to work as a
                      Veterinary Technician so I have spent the past four years at a busy
                      equine-only hospital, LOVING the job, but also realizing that a large
                      animal vet is not what I want to be, and I realized this without
                      waiting too long to change my degree path. If I did choose to
                      continue to pursue vet school, it would have been with several years'
                      experience in the field, and some wonderful recommendations as well!
                      I don't know what the rule is in New York in regards to Vet. Techs.
                      but I would DEFINATELY suggest this to your daughter. And best of
                      luck to her!!

                      > ~Amanda in KY

                      Foods

                      > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch
                      format to Traditional

                    • gabby moore
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                        First of all, hello Lea,  didn't know you were here.  Andrea, I have to concur that veterinary medicine is a wonderful career.  I have been licensed for 40 years and time has just flown.  I feel like I haven't worked a day in my life.  It is what I had wanted "to be" since I was 10 years old and the good Lord afforded me that opportunity in life.  What I was trying to emphasize is that a career in the equine field is not likely to be viable in the forseeable future.  Certainly not in my lifetime.  The world has changed and horses are a luxury that fewer and fewer folks are going to be able to afford.  Lorraine's daughter is going to have to have an alternate career plan.  Because admissions were so tough for everyone and especially women in the 60's I did have a career alternate plan that thankfully I never had to use.  When I applied there were over 400 applicants for 60 seats.  You do have to be practical.  Human health care will be a growth field in the future.  However,  you still want to do something you are passionate about.  Life is too short to hate to roll out of bed to go to work every morning.  Gabby Moore, DVM

                      • leavalfox@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Hey Gabby
                          I kind of snuck up on here a couple of weeks ago...and you know how I love Veterinary medicine, but I guess since I got a late start in the field after years of training I just knew I couldn't go the whole road. I admire and appreciate all of you who do and who aspire to do it. It's a wonderful field...I honestly think my Vet just never really learned how to balance things very well and often let it get the best of her. She is a terrific Vet and wonderful therio Vet, and I couldn't have done it without her!
                          --
                          lea and the Foxlea Clan
                          www.Foxleafarm.net

                          -------------- Original message from "gabby moore" <horsemor@...>: --------------

                        • Andrea Gade
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                            It must depend on where you are going to practice. In WI, the horse
                            industry is still growing. As the dairy farmers get older and sell
                            off thier land, smaller parcels are picked up by horse owners. But,
                            its true that the industry as a whole is hurting right now, which
                            brings up another great thing about vet med...even if you practice
                            equine medicine for 20 years, you can always switch to some other
                            avenue of vet medicine...think of all of the small animal vets who
                            started out as dairy vets, but injured thier shoulders.

                            I am setting out as an equine vet, but in this field you can never
                            predict where you may be in the future, there are so many
                            opportunities in this profession. This is probably one of the best
                            things I've taken away from vet school...never say never. I doubt
                            I'll ever be an exotics vet...but who knows!

                            Getting into vet school isn't easy, but its worth trying. I didn't
                            really have an alternate career path...I figured I'd cross that
                            bridge if I got to it. I majored in Biology with a Biomedical
                            Sciences emphasis and with a minor in Animal Science. I applied to
                            vet school a year early, because I had done all of my prereqs right
                            away, and I didn't get in. I retook the GRE and applied again, and
                            voila...I'm 5 months from graduation as a veterinarian (I also wanted
                            to do this since I was about 10 years old, before that I wanted to be
                            a dog trainer :) There are several people in my class who applied 3
                            times, and they will make amazing veterinarians. If its your dream,
                            you shouldn't give up! (Not that anyone should throw all practicality
                            to the wind).

                            <horsemor@...> wrote:

                            > First of all, hello Lea, didn't know you were here. Andrea, I
                            have to concur that veterinary medicine is a wonderful career. I
                            have been licensed for 40 years and time has just flown. I feel like
                            I haven't worked a day in my life. It is what I had wanted "to be"
                            since I was 10 years old and the good Lord afforded me that
                            opportunity in life. What I was trying to emphasize is that a career
                            in the equine field is not likely to be viable in the forseeable
                            future. Certainly not in my lifetime. The world has changed and
                            horses are a luxury that fewer and fewer folks are going to be able
                            to afford. Lorraine's daughter is going to have to have an alternate
                            career plan. Because admissions were so tough for everyone and
                            especially women in the 60's I did have a career alternate plan that
                            thankfully I never had to use. When I applied there were over 400
                            applicants for 60 seats. You do have to be practical. Human health
                            care will be a growth field in the future. However, you still want
                            to do something you are passionate about. Life is too short to hate
                            to roll out of bed to go to work every morning. Gabby Moore, DVM

                          • Darci Schuppan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Andrea,

                              That is awsome!  Congratulations!!  I always wanted to be a vet but never lived in the right place or had the money or support for it.  :)  I still quit a bit of my own doctoring and have made past vets my friends and some would take me out on calls with them so I could learn more.  :)

                              I sure wish I could convince my girls into becoming vets.  :)

                              Darci
                              Brush Creek Curly Horses
                              Brush Creek Curly Blog

                              ymailto="mailto:equineveterinarymedicine%40yahoogroups.com">equineveterinarymed icine@yahoogroup s.com, leavalfox@ wrote:

> [...]
                              study.
                              > Fortunately for me, in KY you don't have to be licensed to work
                              as a
                              > Veterinary Technician so I have spent the past four years at a
                              busy
                              > equine-only hospital, LOVING the job, but also realizing that a
                              large
                              > animal vet is not what I want to be, and I realized this without
                              > waiting too long to change my degree path. If I did choose to
                              > continue to pursue vet school, it would have been with several
                              years'
                              > experience in the field, and some wonderful recommendations as
                              well!
                              > I don't know what the rule is in New York
                              in regards to Vet.
                              Techs.
                              > but I would DEFINATELY suggest this to your daughter. And best of

                              out
                              > > and nominate your
                              > > group to be featured.
                              > > Need to Reply?
                              > > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
                              in
                              > the Daily Digest.
                              > > Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
                              > > Messages | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
                              > > MARKETPLACE
                              > >

                              > > From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft
                              > Foods
                              > >
                              > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
                              > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual |
                              Switch
                              > format to Traditional
                              > > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                            • Allison O'Toole
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
                                My undergrad degree is in biology, I also have a vet tech degree.  I will be attending St. George's University in the Caribbean starting in Jan.  The Caribbean schools look at the whole picture, not just your GPA....I had a 3.3 but I also worked 40-50hrs/week while I went to school.  State schools did not seem to care about this but SGU did.  The education is the same...we do our clinical year in the states..Pasquini teaches anatomy-doesn't get better than that!
                                Allison, LVT

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 9, 2008
                                  In NY you have to go to school and pass the boards to become a vet tech.  There are a few schools in NY that offer the vet tech program.
                                  Allison, LVT