Re: [equineveterinarymedicine] Re: Outer layer of hoof fell off

  • Caroline Andresen
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 28, 2008
      If I were you I would write to Jaime Jackson and ask for advice - he deals with severe cases such as these quite often - hell know all the signs (both bad and good)  and can give you concrete advice on how to proceed.
      He is such a knowledgeable man - Im sure he can help. Let him know you run a rescue.

      Good luck - keep us posted!!!!

      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM, George <cshorser2@...> wrote:

      It seems we have two almost opposite opinions from the 2 replies thus
      far. I do agree this is serious, no doubt about that. As far as
      painful, the pony was initially is such pain that he could barely
      stand it. I hate seeing any animal in pain, but at the same time, I
      hate even more seeing a young animal destroyed when there is hope. I
      never understand why people who are in the worst possible pain are
      forced to live until they die on their own, and even connected to
      machines to extend a horrible existance. Yet at the same time many
      people will put down an animal who has hope, because the animal is in
      pain. Many people and animals end up in pain in some part of their
      life. I guess that is just the way life is. In this case, I think
      the real issue is that they know this pony can not be used again, or
      at least for many months or more, and why spend the money on them.
      My sanctuary takes in all the crippled horses, and they get to live
      until they can no longer exist or function normally. Few of them
      have any use to humans as far as riding, etc.

      I had a colt born here several weeks ago. I look at this wonderful
      colt, then look in the eyes of that badly injured pony and think that
      he was a colt not too long ago. He has his whole life ahead of him,
      and that is when I can not accept they put him down. Yes, there is a
      limit to the amount of pain I will accept, and i have had to put down
      several animals. But I will do what I can to save this guy. I have
      been thinking about this all day and I decided that he will be coming
      here this weekend. I realize this will be a lot of work to care for
      and heal him, but I dont care as long as he survives and heals.

      Whether he can ever be ridden is insignificant to me. I just want
      him to heal well enough so he can live his life as he was meant to
      do. Dont get me wrong, I like most Amish people and I like my
      neighbors that have this pony, but I often do not understand their
      thinking. They are supposed to be so religious, yet they base the
      life of this pony on its usefulness and its dollar value (and I know
      they only paid $10 for him). What irks me most is that after losing
      a horse who hung itself a few years ago, and now this accident, they
      are still tying horses all over their yard. Yesterday I finally
      broke down and in a nice way, I told them how much I disapprove of
      that practice. I do tie some of my own horses, but only when I am in
      eye contact with them and have a pocket knife on me, to cut the rope.

      Anyhow, I am getting emotional over this, but it is the truth. Once
      again, if anyone has web links to assist me with this, PLEASE post
      them. Based on the pulse, breathing, and other physical indicators,
      this pony is actually in much less pain than he was a week ago. That
      is all I can hope for while continuing to treat him, and offer him
      the love he deserves.

      George

      ------------------

      --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Gade"
      <dakotabarbay@...> wrote:

      > This is a very severe, and very painful injury...if the reason the
      > hoof fell off was disruption of blood supply, the hoof will not
      grow
      > back...even if it does grow back it will take at least 9 months to
      > year for this to happen, during which time the pony will be very
      very
      > painful...
      >
      > Andrea
      > vet student
      > UW SVM class of 2009
      >
      > --- In equineveterinarymedicine@yahoogroups.com, "George"
      > <cshorser2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I run a horse rescue. I have some Amish neighbors down the road
      > that
      > > have a pony who got tangled in a rope. After they freed him, he
      > > looked like he had been in a car wreck. The rope was around his
      > leg
      > > as well as his neck. The neck was severely swollen, his face was
      > > swelled, his lips were very enlarged, one eye could not open, and
      > > there were bruises all over him. These people wont call an
      actual
      > > vet. They have their own un-licensed vet who is also the farrier
      > and
      > > whatever else he is. He lives several miles away. He told them
      > > give the pony some penecillin shots and gave them some bute
      > tablets.
      > > They did as he said, but got me to give the shots because there
      is
      > no
      > > father in that family, just a mother with a bunch of kids. The
      > > oldest boy was afraid to give the shots, so I taught him to do
      > that.
      > > However I have been going there daily and assisting.
      > >
      > > At first the pony did not react at all. He just laid around for
      > > several days and could only stand up with help from people.
      > Nothing
      > > phased him, even the shots did not get a reaction. I could see
      he
      > > was in a lot of pain. The bute helped with that somewhat.
      > >
      > > The rope accident occurred 11 days ago. About the 7th day his
      > spirit
      > > was coming back, and he began playing hard to catch, and even
      > trying
      > > to bite when I would give him the shot. Yet, at the same time I
      > > noticed the spot where the rope was around his leg was causing
      his
      > > limp and was open and infected. I came home and got some
      > antibiotic
      > > cream to put on it, and wrapped the leg.
      > >
      > > Yesterday I went over there and found that the whole outer layer
      of
      > > his hoof came off. Its like he just stepped right out of it.
      One
      > of
      > > the kids said that they saw some blood but I did not see any, but
      > > got there much later. What remains is a complete but small hoof,
      > > complete with frog. He is pretty lame on that leg, but tolerated
      > my
      > > hosing it with force, soaking it in epsom salt water, applying
      > > scarlet oil and NFZ, and wrapping it with vet wrap.
      > >
      > > Then the Amish (so called) vet came over and told the mother he
      was
      > > going to shoot the pony, because he said it will never heal. The
      > > mother told him they want to work with him more, and I know they
      > > shared some unkind words (in their dialect). After he left, the
      > > mother said that she thinks he will heal, but these guys are too
      > > quick to put down injured horses. She said that he told her that
      > he
      > > would wait until the end of the weekend, and see what happens, at
      > > which time he will shoot the pony if it looks the same or worse.
      > The
      > > mother told me that if I think I can treat him, she will give him
      > > me, because she does not want him to be put down if there is any
      > hope
      > > for him.
      > >
      > > I am considering taking him, but only if there is a chance for
      > > survival. Even if he can not be ridden or used, I really want to
      > > save his life. Quite honestly, despite this leg issue, he is
      > looking
      > > much better and proved that today when he actually grabbed my
      shirt
      > > with his teeth and got a little playful. Thats a first since he
      > was
      > > injured.
      > >
      > > At the same time, I have never dealt with a hoof that partly fell
      > > off. I have dealt with practically everything else, but this is
      > > first. IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR HIM? Will the hoof grow back in
      > time?
      > > I need a reply from anyone who has dealt with this, from any
      vets,
      > > farriers, or anyone that knows the answer. I would also
      appreciate
      > > any web links to articles (I have found little using google). I
      > will
      > > take this pony if I can save him, OR I will print out articles
      that
      > > prove this can heal, and give them to their (so called) vet.
      This
      > > Amish vet said he once saw a whole hoof fall off and the horse
      was
      > in
      > > severe pain and had to be put down. I do agree that if the WHOLE
      > > hoof came off, there is no hope, but this pony still has some
      hoof,
      > > just the outer layer came off. I attribute this to the blood
      > supply
      > > being cut off when he was tangled in the rope.
      > >
      > > Please help. I need to learn whatever I can and only have until
      > > Sunday, or he will be put down. I have gotten pretty attached to
      > the
      > > little guy and want to help. At the same time, if there is no
      > hope,
      > > I guess it would be best they do what they have to do when I am
      not
      > > around. I do my best to help all equines, but I tend to find it
      > real
      > > hard to watch them die. At the same time, I can not let them
      > suffer
      > > in severe pain. I know he is in pain, and yet he seems much
      better
      > > despite the leg issue.
      > >
      > > To further describe it, about 3/8 of an inch of hook came off all
      > the
      > > way around. It looks like a cup.
      > >
      > > Prayers are appreciated too. He is only 2 years old !!!
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > George

    • Kelly
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 13, 2008

        George,

        How is Lucky doing?

        Is the leg still infected?

        I watch the list eager to read how things are going.  Hope no news is good news.

        Kelly Hall

        www.happyhoofpads.com