RE: [equineveterinarymedicine] Re: Need ideas to get horse to take wormer

  • mario diaz
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2008
      GET A CARROT SCRAPE IT, IN THIN PCS , MIX THE WORMER, LIKE A
      MASH, THE PASTE WILL MIX WITH THE CARROT, THEY WILL EAT IT, IT
      WORKS FOR THOSE SILLY HORSES WHO DONT LIKE PASTE

      rita@... wrote:
      DeAnna,

      I ordered a dose syringe from Heartland Veterinary Supply and have been dosing my girl with it now for a week. I love it.
      She would try to avoid the syringe but has been very easy to dose liquid slurry. I can easily slip the tip (it's about 4 inches long with
      a nice 'ball' on the end) into her corner of her mouth and squirt it in.

      They have a 20 ml and I think a 60 ml, but have a variety of dose and repeater syringes.
      Link is here to the page with the variety of syringes:
      http://www.heartlan dvetsupply. com/cart/ index.php? cPath=2_51

      Are you dosing the paste wormers, I'm guessing?  Maybe you can make them a slurry with something better tasting (like applesauce?) for her.   Another trick that I've used is a slice of bread.  If they like bread as a treat, I make a wormer sandwich (may have to do 1/2 at a time so she doesn't taste it).  It may take a few times as a treat, but if she really likes bread, it's easy to dose them with it.  I do my donkey's this way and usually one sandwich works fine for them.  The 1000#'s get more medication so they may get 2 sandwiches.

      I normally give the liquid Ivermectin to mine and now using the dose syringe I got, it will be a lot simpler!  I don't have any fussing from her getting the dose syringe tip into her mouth like I do if I'm using a syringe or paste wormer.

      Just a couple thoughts for you!
      Rita
      Indiana

      --- In equineveterinarymed icine@yahoogroups. com, "DeAnna"
      <zimsjurney@. ..> wrote:

      > Ugg. I have a Appy who will not take his wormer. I have tried the
      > sneak approach. I have put the bit in his mouth and then tried to
      > squirt the wormer in. He acts like a fruit and I end up wearing most
      of
      > it. My last resort was putting some on a treat and giving it to him
      but
      > he spit it out. Any ideas will be welcome. DeAnna C. in Marengo, OH

    • Renee Ilse
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2008
        I actually bought years ago a plastic bit that you use to worm your horse.  It is hollow.  You put it on the horse like a normal bit, then squirt the wormer solution into the center of the bit.  It goes in the horse's mouth through holes in the plastic.  I've used it a few times, but most of my horses now take the wormer without too much trouble...

        Renee Ilse, John Lyons Certified Trainer
        and CHA Certified Level 2 Riding Instructor

        Check out my website at www.full-circle-enterprises.com!

        Helping people in South Central Texas
        "God forbid I go to a Heaven where there are no horses!"