Re: Specific activities for high school students

  • Glenn Magargee
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2012
      I have been doing groups with at-risk youth - most of them adjudicated - for several years.  This year we began a group of boys from a local high school who sound like the group you will have.  i will be glad to share with you things that have worked well for us.  Feel free to call.  Probably better in the evenings.

      Glenn Magargee, LPC
      Pell City, Al
      Mustard Seed Society, Inc.
      R.O.C. (Rescue Our Children)
      205-913-0628
    • Judyedminsom
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2012
        That is great stuff Paul thanks for taking the time

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 2012-02-10, at 11:46 AM, "Smith, Paul" <psmith@...> wrote:

        Deb,
        It may seem like an obvious thing, but I would really like to reinforce that leading with the population and specific goals for working with them is a huge part of "starting out right".

        Depending on the herd and environment you have to work with one activity that might relate to intolerance would be to introduce a small herd  horses one at a time cumulatively into an arena
         simply asking the kids to notice different relationships, who is in charge,ect...asking them how they do that in their own group.... ( I have seen some folks up the anti on this sort of titration by having food resources in the arena...depending on the horses and the situation that can bring the energy up, AND is potentially a setup for the horses and does not create a very clean metaphor for back at school--
        Then you can build w/ how to be curious about something / someone who is diffenert than you... what do they need / want to know about horses to be safe entering their world....then have them simply go in and do a meeting activity...just being curious ..what horses are drawn to them...vice versa...what similarities/ diffenernces with horses...how did they act differently with different horses (ie avoid, go slower, get playful) how do they approach others...how do they want to be approached ? what helps them feel safe?

        from there other classic haltering or obstacle leading activities may be a great fit in terms of focused on solutions not obstacles...how does having an agenda change the relationship..ie what is it like when someone wants soemthing from them...how do they know ect...

        AND I guess what ever sequence of activieties you put together.... I encourage you to come back to the goals and interests ...what are the skills you wnat them to be practicing while they are at your place.... I am gussing they have no shortage of opportunities to practice how they already do things... so you may not need to do to much 'discovery' type of work... set them up for sucess and to actually practice positive personal and group skills...

        Paul Smith
        Director- Centaur Leadership Services
        Prescott College
        ...it's a journey, so enjoy the ride.

      • Kathleen Marske
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2012
          Try an activity called, IF you really knew me.
           Small group setting. Each person gets 2 mins to talk on a timer. the others all do NOTHING but listen.  Listeners can give the sign language sign for love at the end of each sharing time, but not words.
          Then go to the next  person.  Can process at the end by talking about how each of us puts on a mask, to cover the hurts and problems that we have in our lives. But what we really desire is to be accepted and to be authentic in relationships, but typical communication, judgements etc. creates isolation, lonliness etc.

          Kiki Marske Hope Reigns Ranch
          Of course you have to set confidentiality rules ahead of time.  Does great for getting students to "go below the water line"  they start sharing from the heart instead of their "hard outer crust"

          On Feb 9, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Debbie Baker wrote:

          I am going to do a session in March with some high school alternative school students. They are in alternative school because they cannot function in a normal classroom. Can anyone suggest specific activities that might address the following issues?
          1. Intolerance for student who are different than they are; having no empathy or patience with others.
          2. Never following through or finishing tasks; not organized and not able to reach goals.

          Thanks in advance to anyone who has suggestions. I'm new at this and want to start out right!

        • Vel Sass
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2012
            Interesting activity, but where does the horse come in?

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
              I like this  Val and will use this in debriefing after the horse stuff happens!

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2012
                It is very powerful.

                God bless!!