Did 3.5XP hack now I can't get wireless connection

  • marlykat
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
      Hi all,

      I've searched but I can't find anything on this. I had previously
      posted about getting the Netgear pcmcia wireless card to work on the
      ePods with v2.04 Hack. Then I just got a new 'puter with XP Pro and
      I wanted to connect with Terminal Services to it, so I did the XP
      hack because it already included Terminal Services Client and I
      thought it'd be nice to not have to re-install after every hard re-
      set.

      But now I can't get connected any longer. I've tried with DHCP
      enabled. And I've tried manually inputting the IP address. I've
      tried with WEP and without. Nothing works. I tried Infrastructure
      and the light on the card blinks and the green icon turns red. The
      light on the card turns green and icon turns green if I set it to Ad
      Hoc, when I check for signal strength, there is nothing.

      I've pinged, and it doesn't see anything.

      I've got 2 desktops -- Win ME, Win XP, and laptop with Win ME all
      hooked up to the netgear router, all enjoying the internet, and all
      networked.

      I'd like to get this ePods connected too!

      Help?
    • slimtimbodin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2004
        Hello fellow epodians,

        I just completed the 3.5XP hack and the only working wireless card I
        have right now is Netgear 802.11b MA401 V2.5 and I wanted to see if
        I could get this to work.

        First off I tried plugging it in and mayking a hack in the registry
        so that the card would be recognized but it would never make a
        connection.

        After reading around on this site and the Iappliance site I read
        somewhere that the Linksys Wireless is also based on the Prism2
        chip. Then on the Iappliance site regarding the Linksys wireless
        card, I remember posting a link on where to find some Compaq drivers
        that would run the Linksys Wireless card. Hmmm Prism2
        chip...hmmmm..I went ahead and tried it and it worked!!!! Here is
        what I did.

        1> Go to this site to get SP15585.exe
        http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/15501.html

        2> You will run this exectable on your PC and it will unpack a
        SETUP211.EXE on your PC.

        3> Startup Active Sync and run SETUP211.EXE on the PC and it will
        install some Compaq drivers onto the epod

        4> Using Regedit on the epod, I went to
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Drivers/PCMCIA/Compaq-
        WL100_11Mbps_Wireless_PC_Card-8147

        At this location I noticed that:
        Miniport = WL100
        Prefix = NDS
        Dll = NDIS.Dll

        5> On my PC, I went into RegEdit and did a search for Netgear and
        found an entry that referred to the card as:
        PCMCIA\NETGEAR_MA401RA_WIRELESS_PC-CARD-5CA0\1

        6> Back to the epod, I went ahead and created a new key called:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Drivers/PCMCIA/NETGEAR_MA401RA_WIRELESS_PC-CARD-
        5CA0

        7> I then added the strings to the key:
        Miniport = WL100
        Prefix = NDS
        Dll = NDIS.Dll

        8> I turned off the epod, plugged in the Netgear MA401 and turned it
        on.

        9> Up came the network config box and it identified the card as a
        Compaq WL100 11Mps. I chose DHCP and continued on and never got a
        connection.

        10> I attepted a soft reset and no connection.

        11> I then went into Control Panel/Network and selected the Compaq
        WL100, turned off DHCP and put in a static IP Address, SubNet Mask
        and Default Gateway and then my DNS servers.

        12> Clicked Ok and thought that I really should just go to sleep
        about now. Did a soft reset for good measure and BANG....I had the
        internet...OWOWOWOWOWOWOW

        Hope this helps. My guess is this technique can be applied to other
        Prism2 based cards.

        -Tim