Apios, Anyone?

  • Denise-Christine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 9:24 AM
      Yesteday I read an old article (1986) in the Master Gardener files
      about the native plant Apios americana (American Groundnut) which was a
      siginificant food source for Native American Indians from Texas to
      Minnesota and Florida to New England. It still grows in the wild in
      some parts of those territories.

      Apios is a perrenial vine with edible seeds, flowers and tubers.
      Apparently, it is also a very decorative plant with clusters of off-
      white to burgundy, slightly fragrant, wisteria-like flowers and a
      lengthy blooming season (June thru September). Sounds like maybe good
      pollinator attractor. Tolerates wet conditions. Hardy from zones 4-10.

      At one time it was availabe at Forest Farm Nursery, here in Oregon. No
      longer shows up in their online catalog.

      Does anyone have an Apios plant? Can you share your experience with
      it? Would you be willing to propogate from a cutting or root division?

      If this old article is giving a realistic account, it seems that this
      is a plant we should all be interested in! **Thanks, Denise**