Re: [epguild] what's behind the Federal Reserve...?

  • Mark Robinowitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2013
      On Aug 18, 2013, at 2:37 PM Aug 18, willamettedams@... wrote:

      > Jekyll Island: the Truth Behind the Federal Reserve

      A websearch shows that this is from the same guy who did a previous film called The Money Masters, which had some good points but utterly failed to hint that there were limits to growth on a round, abundant, finite planet. It could also get a prize for the most unnecessarily long film, it would have better stronger to be an hour, not several hours. I sat through the whole thing (years ago).

      Abolishing the Federal Reserve would not change the underlying fact we've passed the limits to growth and our growth based economy requires endless expansion of consumption for our monetary system to function. I'd be surprised if the sequel to "Money Masters" mentions ecological limits or steady state economics, but that's not part of the agenda here. The Fed is part of the problem but it's not the root cause even if a bunch of ultraconservative right wing websites and videos claim it is.

      ----------

      steady state economics
      for an ecological society

      The dominant paradigm teaches money is the
      most important value, energy conservation and
      ecological sanity are nice if we can afford them.

      Most of the environmental movement has
      embraced the concept of the Triple Bottom Line,
      which suggests that the economy needs to consider
      ecology and social justice issues. While it is good to
      factor these into economic decisions, the deeper
      truth is the environment makes the economy
      possible. Energy creates money, not the other way
      around. No jobs on a dead planet.

      It is probably not a coincidence that many of the
      political voices calling attention to the problems of fiat
      currency, the Federal Reserve and other structural
      problems rarely mention the underlying ecological
      limits - and worse, some of them seem fixated on
      Jewish bankers who allegedly run the world.

      We need to weave together social justice
      advocates with understanding of how fiat money is
      created and that we have reached the limits to infinite
      growth on a finite planet.

      ----------

      "This is not so much financial bad weather as
      financial climate change" -- James Kunstler

      "Communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism
      forgets that life is social, and the kingdom of
      brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of
      communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a
      higher synthesis that combines the truths of both.
      Now, when I say question the whole society, it
      means ultimately coming to see that the problems of
      racism, the problem of economic exploitation, and
      the problem of war are all tied together."
      -- Martin Luther King, “Where do we go from here?”
      August 16, 1967

      recommended reading:

      • “the recession that will not end in our lifetime” www.oilempire.us/peak-money.html

      • Richard Heinberg, Post Carbon Institute “The End of Growth” www.postcarbon.org

      • Chris Martsenson, "The Crash Course" energy & money www.peakprosperity.com/crashcourse

      • Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy www.steadystate.org

      "Awareness of Climate Change by the media and
      general public is obviously running well ahead of
      awareness about Peak Oil, but there are interesting
      differences in this general pattern when we look
      more closely at those involved in the money and
      energy industries. Many of those involved in money
      and markets have begun to rally around Climate
      Change as an urgent problem that can be turned into
      another opportunity for economic growth (of a green
      economy). These same people have tended to resist
      even using the term Peak Oil, let alone
      acknowledging its imminent occurrence. Perhaps
      this denial comes from an intuitive understanding that
      once markets understand that future growth is
      not possible, then it’s game over for our fiat
      system of debt-based money."
      -- David Holmgren, a co-originator of permaculture
      "Money vs. Fossil energy: the battle to control the
      world" www.holmgren.com.au