RE: [epguild]How to start a permablitz movement, blending with a time bank

  • Debra Birkinshaw Harrow
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2013
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-g6sF9NOBHc

      Debra Birkinshaw Harrow

       Member, Eugene Permaculture Guild

      Board Member of Green Sangha
      http://www.greensangha.org

      Coordinator, St. Petersburg Transition Initiative, St. Petersburg, Fla

      "Action isn’t a burden to be hoisted up and lugged around on our shoulders. It is something we are. The work we have to do can be seen as a kind of coming alive. More than some moral imperative, it’s an awakening to our true nature, a releasing of our gifts."
      Joanna Macy

    • ted purdy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2013
        The plants look great!!!

        Please help us spread the word!

        FOOD For Lane County's Summer Plant Sale- Saturday May 18th, 10am-5pm at The Youth Farm

        A festive sale and fundraiser for the FFLC Youth Farm, our plant sale features our largest selection ever of organically grown vegetable starts raised at the farm, including 65 varieties of tomatoes (heirlooms, slicers, cherries, and Romas), 35 varieties of peppers (sweet, hot, frying, stuffing), 12 varieties of basil, 25 varieties of sunflowers, 12 varieties of eggplant, 10 varieties of cucumbers, sweet corn, 13 varieties of summer squash and zucchini, 10 varieties of beans, broccoli, lettuce, swiss chard, kale, cabbage, artichokes, peas (snap and snow), parsley, tomatillos, ground cherries, melons, watermelons, spinach, pumpkins, winter squash, quinoa, gourds, calendula, nasturtiums, viola, cosmidium, cape daisy, snap dragons, black-eyed susans, tithonia (Mexican Sunflower), love in a mist, amaranth, strawflower, baby's breath, statice, larkspur, asters, cosmos, marigolds, zinnias and  more!

        Two awesome and very danceable local bands, the Avolonians and the Dirty Dandelions will add their music to the fun.

        All proceeds support our efforts to build skills, offer organic gardening and nutrition education and to grow fresh food for FOOD for Lane County’s network of partner agencies.

        The Youth Farm is located at 705 Flamingo Ave., Springfield, off of Game Farm Road South and next to Game Bird Park. Call 541-343-2822 or e-mail gardens@foodforlanecounty.org for more information

        From Eugene: Take Coburg Rd. to Harlow Rd to left onto Game Farm Rd. (at light /Dairy Mart  at corner),  then turn left on Flamingo Ave. Folllow to the end.

        From Beltline Highway: Take Beltline Highway  east until it ends. Follow until right turn on Cardinal Way (at light directly in front of main entrance to Riverbend Hospital), take quick left onto Game Farm Rd., then turn right on Flamingo Ave. Follow to the end.

      • ted purdy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2013
          Summer Plant Sale Continues! at the FOOD for Lane County Youth Farm
          May 25, 10am-3pm

          Wehad an awesome plant sale this past Saturday, raising over $10,717.  Thank you to everyone who came and supported us!  And we still have thousands of vibrant, healthy plants!  We will be selling starts again this Saturday and our sale will feature organically grown vegetable starts raised at our youth farm, including tomatoes (heirlooms, slicers, cherries, and Romas), peppers, basil, eggplant, summer squash and zucchini, beans, swiss chard, artichokes, parsley, tomatillos, ground cherries, melons, watermelons, spinach, gourds, and flowers, including sunflowers, calendula, viola, cosmidium, snap dragons, black-eyed susans, love in a mist, amaranth, strawflower, statice, cosmos, marigolds, zinnias and  more!
          All proceeds support our efforts to build skills, offer organic gardening and nutrition education and to grow fresh food for FOOD for Lane County’s network of partner agencies.

          The Youth Farm is located at 705 Flamingo Ave., Springfield, off of Game Farm Road South and next to Game Bird Park.  Call 541-343-2822 or e-mail gardens@... for more information
          PLEASE HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!!

          Other farm news:
          Two Produce Stands Opening in June
          Buy Youth Farm organically-grown produce at our farm stands, and support youth gaining job skills:
          Grand- Re-opening of our produce stand at Peace Health’s Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend , 3311 Riverbend Dr., Thursday, June 6th, 2pm-6pm and continuing every Thursday through October
          Grand Re-Opening of our on-site produce stand, 705 Flamingo Ave., Springfield, Saturday June 8th, 10am-2pm and continuing every Saturday through October

          Open Farm Day, July 6, 10am-2:30 pm
          Tours, educational activities, fresh food samples, music, and other farm fun
          Produce Stand open from 10am-2pm
          Intro to Fruit Preservation Class, 1pm-2:30pm, led by Master Food Preservers.

          Ted Purdy
          Youth Farm Coordinator
          FOOD For Lane County
          tpurdy@...
          (541)343-2822 x329

          From Eugene: Take Coburg Rd. to Harlow Rd to left onto Game Farm Rd. (at light /Dairy Mart  at corner),  then turn left on Flamingo Ave. Folllow to the end.

          From Beltline Highway: Take Beltline Highway  east until it ends. Follow until right turn on Cardinal Way (at light directly in front of main entrance to Riverbend Hospital), take quick left onto Game Farm Rd., then turn right on Flamingo Ave. Follow to the end.

        • ted purdy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013

            Hello Youth Farm enthusiasts,

            We have a great event coming up this Saturday, July 6th from 10am -2pm—our
            2nd Annual Open Farm Day
            The event features youth farmer led tours, produce tastings, live music by The Avalonians, and a jams and jellies workshop presented by the Lane County Master Food Preservers (see additional info below).  And our on-site Youth Farm Produce Stand will be open as it is every Saturday through October.  This week we will have tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, carrots, lots of greens and other summer delights.  Hope to see you there!

            Mark your calendars for other events happening this summer:
            The Youth Farm Produce Stand at Riverbend
            Open every Thursday from 2-6pm through October at Peace Health’s Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend.   Find us just south of the emergency room entrance in the Fir Grove.  At both our stands we except SNAP/ EBTand WIC vouchers and double your benefits up to $5!  Youth run our stands and we feature 35 different kinds of produce.

            The Youth Farm Fest
             Celebrate the taste of late summer at FOOD for Lane County’s Youth Farm with events including:
            Vote for your favorite tomato Taste-Off from juicy reds to colorful heirlooms; Shop at our youth-run farm stand featuring 35 kinds of organic produce; Sample farm favorites; Pick your own flower bouquets; Tour the 4-acre farm with a youth farmer; Live music

            Nutrition and Food Preservation Workshops at the Youth Farm
            All classes will be translated in Spanish as well.
            July 6– 1:00-2:30      Basics of Jam and Jelly - Introduction on how to preserve fruits as jams and jellies, safety tips and recipes to bring home.  Hands on demos of strawberry freezer jam, cooked low sugar and regular sugar jams with available fruit.  Examples to taste and samples to take home!   Free. Presented by Master Food Preservers.
            August 17 1:00-3:00   Fun with of Pickling - Introduction on how to preserve food through pickling, safety tips and recipes to bring home.  Hands on demos of cucumber pickles, quick pickles, dilly beans and more (depending on available veggies) Examples to taste and samples to take home! Free. Presented by Master Food Preservers
            August 31  10:30-12:30   Nutrition from the garden—Participants will learn about the health benefits and nutrition information found in many fruits and veggies, as they harvest, prepare and enjoy the seasonal produce available at the Youth Farm. Free.

            ALL events except the Riverbend stand are held at the Youth Farm
            705 Flamingo Ave, off Game Farm Rd in Springfield
            gardens@...  541-343-2822

            Ted Purdy
            Youth Farm Coordinator
            FOOD For Lane County