Re: [epguild] asparagus companions

  • stephanie denby
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2013
      And that is also why it takes 3 years, storing up that energy from the ferny fronds.

      Stephanie

      At 08:49 PM 4/30/2013, you wrote:

      Did you mean right in the same bed, on top of the asparagus roots?

      I let the asparagus fern out by June, and leave the ferns all summer.
      I'm assuming that's how they store the energy they'll need to keep
      budding for me the next spring. There's no room to plant anything
      else there, since it's a thickly forested forest of asparagus fern. I
      don't take them out until they yellow-brown up in the fall. The I
      cut them down, add fertilizer, then compost, then leaves, that stay on
      until the asparagus shoots come up in the spring. This has worked
      well for 15 years.

      On 4/30/13, Tree Bressen <tree@...> wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I am curious what your opinions are on what veggies i can plant in
      > the same bed with asparagus? I was fortunate to move 2 years ago to
      > a house where the previous occupants had planted asparagus 3 years
      > earlier. So i arrived in year 1 of harvest. That stuff sure is
      > tasty. However, naturally i want to use the bed for other plants too
      > since the asparagus harvest is only for a short time of the year.
      >
      > I did some searching online (see
      > http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/complants/msg1118470313054.html )
      > and here is a list of some suggestions from that page:
      >
      > tomatoes were repeatedly mentioned
      > basil, parsley
      > lettuce, arugula
      > strawberries
      > rhubarb
      > eggplants
      > bell peppers
      > peas
      >
      > And they say specifically to avoid the following (all of which i
      > happen to already have planted in the adjacent bed!):
      > onion
      > garlic
      > potatoes
      >
      > One person mentioned doing carrots & radishes between the rows, but i
      > assume that's a bad idea, i don't want to disturb the asparagus root
      > system. There were also a few fruits mentioned such as raspberries &
      > grapes, but i already have those established elsewhere. And i'm
      > looking for something food-producing rather than just a cover crop or
      > flowers, since i have limited space.
      >
      > What about summer or winter squash? Beans? Cucumber? What else?
      >
      > Thanks for your ideas,
      >
      > --Tree

      > Tree Bressen
      > Eugene, Oregon
      > (541) 343-3855 (after 11am)
      > http://treegroup.info
      > http://groupworksdeck.org - GROUP WORKS decks now available

      We fight not for glory, nor for riches, nor for honour, but only and alone for Freedom, which no good man lays down but with his life. --Declaration of Arbroath, Scotland, 1320