Researching LETHABY

  • tis_skyler@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
      Hi Terrance,

      My family name of Lethaby comes from Somerset/Devon. I can't be
      anymore specific than this because at this stage I smply don't know.
      My Grandfather John George LETHABY was born about 1848, possibly in
      South Molton but I can't be sure. He married Elizabeth HART in 1868
      and emmigrated to New Zealand in 1869. They had two children Albert
      and Anna. I don't know what happen to Anna but I knew Albert. When
      Elizabeth died, John George went back to England and remarried.
      This marriage to Alice Hart ROSSITER (my grandmother) took place at
      Churchhill, Wellington, Somerset sometime prior to 1898 and they
      returned to New Zealand. They had five children. I have been
      watching lists for ages to see if anyone else enquired about this
      name. But so far no one has. I know there is several variations to
      the spelling of Lethaby and that there was a family of Lethaby that
      emmigrated to Australia and once there changed the spelling to
      Letheby. If anyone does have this name in their background I would
      be grateful for contact with them.

      Chris Lethaby

      --- In englishresearch@y..., "TERRANCE PARFITT"
      <terry.parfitt@s...> wrote:
      > To Chris Lethaby
      > An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising
      Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a
      copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in
      Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a
      tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been
      very helpful to me.
      > Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
      > We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
      > Kind regards
      > ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
      > XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
    • TERRANCE PARFITT
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2001
        Dear Chris
        This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt family back to 1802.
        Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up all the leaves!
        Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
        Best regards
        Terry
      • kiwi_lace2
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
          Hi Terry

          I have now discovered a Lethaby family living in Winscombe, Somerset
          in the 1851 census. This is the only Lethaby family I have yet
          discovered that had a child John of 11 months that could be my
          Grandfather. It states he was born in Bristol. The head of house was
          John, (also born in Bristol) wife Charlotte (born Wedmore) and
          daughter Elizabeth (born Bristol). There was also an Ann Willis aged
          70 (mother-in-law) living with them. I know from my grandfathers
          death certificate that his father was also John and have recently
          learned he had a sister Elizabeth. I feel very sure this is my
          family, but where in Bristol could the birth have been? How would I
          find out? I have not seen this family on the LDS IGI.

          Any help would be appreciated. The Charles Rossiter, My grandmothers
          first husband, is not related to me, but of course is related to my
          cousins born of grandmothers first marriage.

          Thank you again for your interest Terrance.

          wrote:
          > Dear Chris
          > This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in
          my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy
          Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was
          my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt
          family back to 1802.
          > Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up
          all the leaves!
          > Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
          > Best regards
          > Terry
        • TERRANCE PARFITT
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2002
            To Chris Lethaby
            Pls send your e-mail address, afraid I lost it!!!!!
            Regards
            Terry Parfitt, Sweden