Re: [englishresearch] Re: MAGAZINE COLUMN

  • TERRANCE PARFITT
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2001
      To Chris Lethaby
      An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been very helpful to me.
      Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
      We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
      Kind regards
      ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
      XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
    • tis_skyler@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
        Hi Terrance,

        My family name of Lethaby comes from Somerset/Devon. I can't be
        anymore specific than this because at this stage I smply don't know.
        My Grandfather John George LETHABY was born about 1848, possibly in
        South Molton but I can't be sure. He married Elizabeth HART in 1868
        and emmigrated to New Zealand in 1869. They had two children Albert
        and Anna. I don't know what happen to Anna but I knew Albert. When
        Elizabeth died, John George went back to England and remarried.
        This marriage to Alice Hart ROSSITER (my grandmother) took place at
        Churchhill, Wellington, Somerset sometime prior to 1898 and they
        returned to New Zealand. They had five children. I have been
        watching lists for ages to see if anyone else enquired about this
        name. But so far no one has. I know there is several variations to
        the spelling of Lethaby and that there was a family of Lethaby that
        emmigrated to Australia and once there changed the spelling to
        Letheby. If anyone does have this name in their background I would
        be grateful for contact with them.

        Chris Lethaby

        --- In englishresearch@y..., "TERRANCE PARFITT"
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 23, 2001
          Dear Chris
          This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt family back to 1802.
          Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up all the leaves!
          Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
          Best regards
          Terry
        • kiwi_lace2
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
            Hi Terry

            I have now discovered a Lethaby family living in Winscombe, Somerset
            in the 1851 census. This is the only Lethaby family I have yet
            discovered that had a child John of 11 months that could be my
            Grandfather. It states he was born in Bristol. The head of house was
            John, (also born in Bristol) wife Charlotte (born Wedmore) and
            daughter Elizabeth (born Bristol). There was also an Ann Willis aged
            70 (mother-in-law) living with them. I know from my grandfathers
            death certificate that his father was also John and have recently
            learned he had a sister Elizabeth. I feel very sure this is my
            family, but where in Bristol could the birth have been? How would I
            find out? I have not seen this family on the LDS IGI.

            Any help would be appreciated. The Charles Rossiter, My grandmothers
            first husband, is not related to me, but of course is related to my
            cousins born of grandmothers first marriage.

            Thank you again for your interest Terrance.

            wrote:
            > Dear Chris
            > This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in
            my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy
            Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was
            my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt
            family back to 1802.
            > Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up
            all the leaves!
            > Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
            > Best regards
            > Terry
          • TERRANCE PARFITT
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2002
              To Chris Lethaby
              Pls send your e-mail address, afraid I lost it!!!!!
              Regards
              Terry Parfitt, Sweden