Re: [englishresearch] MAGAZINE COLUMN

  • Alece Egan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
      Janet, how about the address of Woman's Day in the US? I would be a lot
      more persuasive there, obviously not being a reader of the Australian
      version.

      Alece Egan

      didnt know they had one, I would try any. :-)THANKS----- Original Message -----
      From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2001
          To Chris Lethaby
          An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been very helpful to me.
          Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
          We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
          Kind regards
          ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
          XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
        • tis_skyler@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
            Hi Terrance,

            My family name of Lethaby comes from Somerset/Devon. I can't be
            anymore specific than this because at this stage I smply don't know.
            My Grandfather John George LETHABY was born about 1848, possibly in
            South Molton but I can't be sure. He married Elizabeth HART in 1868
            and emmigrated to New Zealand in 1869. They had two children Albert
            and Anna. I don't know what happen to Anna but I knew Albert. When
            Elizabeth died, John George went back to England and remarried.
            This marriage to Alice Hart ROSSITER (my grandmother) took place at
            Churchhill, Wellington, Somerset sometime prior to 1898 and they
            returned to New Zealand. They had five children. I have been
            watching lists for ages to see if anyone else enquired about this
            name. But so far no one has. I know there is several variations to
            the spelling of Lethaby and that there was a family of Lethaby that
            emmigrated to Australia and once there changed the spelling to
            Letheby. If anyone does have this name in their background I would
            be grateful for contact with them.

            Chris Lethaby

            --- In englishresearch@y..., "TERRANCE PARFITT"
            <terry.parfitt@s...> wrote:
            > To Chris Lethaby
            > An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising
            Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a
            copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in
            Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a
            tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been
            very helpful to me.
            > Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
            > We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
            > Kind regards
            > ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
            > XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
          • TERRANCE PARFITT
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 23, 2001
              Dear Chris
              This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt family back to 1802.
              Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up all the leaves!
              Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
              Best regards
              Terry
            • kiwi_lace2
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
                Hi Terry

                I have now discovered a Lethaby family living in Winscombe, Somerset
                in the 1851 census. This is the only Lethaby family I have yet
                discovered that had a child John of 11 months that could be my
                Grandfather. It states he was born in Bristol. The head of house was
                John, (also born in Bristol) wife Charlotte (born Wedmore) and
                daughter Elizabeth (born Bristol). There was also an Ann Willis aged
                70 (mother-in-law) living with them. I know from my grandfathers
                death certificate that his father was also John and have recently
                learned he had a sister Elizabeth. I feel very sure this is my
                family, but where in Bristol could the birth have been? How would I
                find out? I have not seen this family on the LDS IGI.

                Any help would be appreciated. The Charles Rossiter, My grandmothers
                first husband, is not related to me, but of course is related to my
                cousins born of grandmothers first marriage.

                Thank you again for your interest Terrance.

                wrote:
                > Dear Chris
                > This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in
                my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy
                Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was
                my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt
                family back to 1802.
                > Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up
                all the leaves!
                > Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
                > Best regards
                > Terry
              • TERRANCE PARFITT
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 13, 2002
                  To Chris Lethaby
                  Pls send your e-mail address, afraid I lost it!!!!!
                  Regards
                  Terry Parfitt, Sweden