Re: [englishresearch] MAGAZINE COLUMN

  • Lorna Prendergast
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28 9:28 PM
      Janet.....I emailed WD as requested but I would think that ww would be the
      better market if you can get in......the other two mags have become gossip
      mags....film stars etc........ regards ..Lorna Prendergast
      ----------
      -----------------------------------------------------------~->
    • Alece Egan
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
        Janet, how about the address of Woman's Day in the US? I would be a lot
        more persuasive there, obviously not being a reader of the Australian
        version.

        Alece Egan

        didnt know they had one, I would try any. :-)THANKS----- Original Message -----
        From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2001
            To Chris Lethaby
            An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been very helpful to me.
            Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
            We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
            Kind regards
            ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
            XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
          • tis_skyler@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
              Hi Terrance,

              My family name of Lethaby comes from Somerset/Devon. I can't be
              anymore specific than this because at this stage I smply don't know.
              My Grandfather John George LETHABY was born about 1848, possibly in
              South Molton but I can't be sure. He married Elizabeth HART in 1868
              and emmigrated to New Zealand in 1869. They had two children Albert
              and Anna. I don't know what happen to Anna but I knew Albert. When
              Elizabeth died, John George went back to England and remarried.
              This marriage to Alice Hart ROSSITER (my grandmother) took place at
              Churchhill, Wellington, Somerset sometime prior to 1898 and they
              returned to New Zealand. They had five children. I have been
              watching lists for ages to see if anyone else enquired about this
              name. But so far no one has. I know there is several variations to
              the spelling of Lethaby and that there was a family of Lethaby that
              emmigrated to Australia and once there changed the spelling to
              Letheby. If anyone does have this name in their background I would
              be grateful for contact with them.

              Chris Lethaby

              --- In englishresearch@y..., "TERRANCE PARFITT"
              <terry.parfitt@s...> wrote:
              > To Chris Lethaby
              > An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising
              Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a
              copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in
              Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a
              tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been
              very helpful to me.
              > Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
              > We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
              > Kind regards
              > ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
              > XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
            • TERRANCE PARFITT
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 23, 2001
                Dear Chris
                This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt family back to 1802.
                Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up all the leaves!
                Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
                Best regards
                Terry
              • kiwi_lace2
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
                  Hi Terry

                  I have now discovered a Lethaby family living in Winscombe, Somerset
                  in the 1851 census. This is the only Lethaby family I have yet
                  discovered that had a child John of 11 months that could be my
                  Grandfather. It states he was born in Bristol. The head of house was
                  John, (also born in Bristol) wife Charlotte (born Wedmore) and
                  daughter Elizabeth (born Bristol). There was also an Ann Willis aged
                  70 (mother-in-law) living with them. I know from my grandfathers
                  death certificate that his father was also John and have recently
                  learned he had a sister Elizabeth. I feel very sure this is my
                  family, but where in Bristol could the birth have been? How would I
                  find out? I have not seen this family on the LDS IGI.

                  Any help would be appreciated. The Charles Rossiter, My grandmothers
                  first husband, is not related to me, but of course is related to my
                  cousins born of grandmothers first marriage.

                  Thank you again for your interest Terrance.

                  wrote:
                  > Dear Chris
                  > This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in
                  my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy
                  Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was
                  my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt
                  family back to 1802.
                  > Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up
                  all the leaves!
                  > Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
                  > Best regards
                  > Terry
                • TERRANCE PARFITT
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2002
                    To Chris Lethaby
                    Pls send your e-mail address, afraid I lost it!!!!!
                    Regards
                    Terry Parfitt, Sweden