MAGAZINE COLUMN

  • jreakes
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28 4:14 PM
      I need your support. Don't you think its about time the Womans Day,
      New Idea or Womans Weekly magazines had a family tree column with me,
      where I can tell you whats ging on and answer questions? I wrote to WD
      a few months ago, now they have a male editor of some interest. He
      passed it on to one of his departments who said, not interested at
      present. Since then they have brought out an All About You
      Segment -which to be can't be all about you because it doesn't cver
      your roots.
      I have emailed him again together and suggested he relook at a column
      as there is no magazine currently running a column and we have enough
      cooking, gardening, feng shui and astrology to last us a life time.
      Would you please email Philip Barker separately on
      womansday@...
      and suggest that the magazine runs a column with Janet Reakes on
      genealogy. They can then see the interest thats out there.
      Thanks
      Janet
    • Lorna Prendergast
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28 9:28 PM
        Janet.....I emailed WD as requested but I would think that ww would be the
        better market if you can get in......the other two mags have become gossip
        mags....film stars etc........ regards ..Lorna Prendergast
        ----------
        -----------------------------------------------------------~->
      • Alece Egan
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
          Janet, how about the address of Woman's Day in the US? I would be a lot
          more persuasive there, obviously not being a reader of the Australian
          version.

          Alece Egan

          didnt know they had one, I would try any. :-)THANKS----- Original Message -----
          From: "jreakes" <jreakes@...>
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2001
              To Chris Lethaby
              An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been very helpful to me.
              Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
              We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
              Kind regards
              ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
              XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
            • tis_skyler@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2001
                Hi Terrance,

                My family name of Lethaby comes from Somerset/Devon. I can't be
                anymore specific than this because at this stage I smply don't know.
                My Grandfather John George LETHABY was born about 1848, possibly in
                South Molton but I can't be sure. He married Elizabeth HART in 1868
                and emmigrated to New Zealand in 1869. They had two children Albert
                and Anna. I don't know what happen to Anna but I knew Albert. When
                Elizabeth died, John George went back to England and remarried.
                This marriage to Alice Hart ROSSITER (my grandmother) took place at
                Churchhill, Wellington, Somerset sometime prior to 1898 and they
                returned to New Zealand. They had five children. I have been
                watching lists for ages to see if anyone else enquired about this
                name. But so far no one has. I know there is several variations to
                the spelling of Lethaby and that there was a family of Lethaby that
                emmigrated to Australia and once there changed the spelling to
                Letheby. If anyone does have this name in their background I would
                be grateful for contact with them.

                Chris Lethaby

                --- In englishresearch@y..., "TERRANCE PARFITT"
                <terry.parfitt@s...> wrote:
                > To Chris Lethaby
                > An unusual name! Calling from Sweden and great memories of vising
                Wellington and Aukland. Saw your message to Janet, tried to get a
                copy of 'Weakest Link' but not possible here in Sweden. I was born in
                Evercreech 1940 and left '65 for Sweden. Janet has achieved a
                tremendous amount of research about Evercreech in Somt. U.K. and been
                very helpful to me.
                > Where did your 'Lathaby' family come from?
                > We are now into Autumn, a long Winter round the corner.
                > Kind regards
                > ┬ĘTerry Parfitt
                > XEvercreech/Bristol & Sweden
              • TERRANCE PARFITT
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 23, 2001
                  Dear Chris
                  This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt family back to 1802.
                  Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up all the leaves!
                  Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
                  Best regards
                  Terry
                • kiwi_lace2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
                    Hi Terry

                    I have now discovered a Lethaby family living in Winscombe, Somerset
                    in the 1851 census. This is the only Lethaby family I have yet
                    discovered that had a child John of 11 months that could be my
                    Grandfather. It states he was born in Bristol. The head of house was
                    John, (also born in Bristol) wife Charlotte (born Wedmore) and
                    daughter Elizabeth (born Bristol). There was also an Ann Willis aged
                    70 (mother-in-law) living with them. I know from my grandfathers
                    death certificate that his father was also John and have recently
                    learned he had a sister Elizabeth. I feel very sure this is my
                    family, but where in Bristol could the birth have been? How would I
                    find out? I have not seen this family on the LDS IGI.

                    Any help would be appreciated. The Charles Rossiter, My grandmothers
                    first husband, is not related to me, but of course is related to my
                    cousins born of grandmothers first marriage.

                    Thank you again for your interest Terrance.

                    wrote:
                    > Dear Chris
                    > This is fascinating, what an unusual name. Also have Rossiters in
                    my family tree.Trying to find out who has records for Devon. Peggy
                    Goodger in Birmingham has records for Somerset. Her grandmother was
                    my great grandfathers youngest sister and has helped with the Parfitt
                    family back to 1802.
                    > Here we have Autumn, +3 this morning, have a big job to scrape up
                    all the leaves!
                    > Continueing my search to try and help you, but it may take time!
                    > Best regards
                    > Terry
                  • TERRANCE PARFITT
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2002
                      To Chris Lethaby
                      Pls send your e-mail address, afraid I lost it!!!!!
                      Regards
                      Terry Parfitt, Sweden